The next forced march...

ARL (Moderator) – August 23, 2011 07:29PM Reply Quote
Goodbye Intel, hello ARM?

Discuss pros and cons below...

porruka (Admin) – November 05, 2012 06:24PM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.

El Jeffe – November 05, 2012 09:05PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
with Apple's money, I am surprised they don't do more vertical integration of about everything short of buying CHINA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2012 09:05PM by El Jeffe.

John Willoughby – November 05, 2012 09:45PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support

James DeBenedetti – July 12, 2013 03:52PM Reply Quote
It took longer than I expected, but isn't surprising:

Macrumors
Apple has just done something that SemiAccurate has been expecting for months and entered the fab industry. No we are not joking, Apple just bought into a fab, and not in a trivial way either.

James DeBenedetti – July 12, 2013 04:16PM Reply Quote
Here's an interesting comment about the rumor.

El Jeffe – November 02, 2018 05:48AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Continuing this topic...

Is apple very close to being able to overcome all silicon competitors?

Roger – November 02, 2018 02:27PM Reply Quote
And if so, what good will it do them? It seems like phones and tablets are close to hitting that point of diminishing returns from Moore's Law that laptops hit (in Apple's view, at least) around five years ago, where it's hard to figure out how to put all those extra FLOPs to any good use. If Apple does have a big competitive advantage in silicon, they have to use it to do something consumers care about. Even if the Mac moves to scorching-fast custom ARM chips or whatever, why am I supposed to care, when all Macs for the last five years have been roughly equivalent in performance, and they keep telling me to care about their weight and battery life instead? What will it do that the old ones didn't?

ddt – November 02, 2018 03:21PM Reply Quote
The last episode of ATP got into this a bit.

ddt

johnny k – November 02, 2018 04:45PM Reply Quote
Seems like they've focused mostly on machine learning applications to make things like Photos have object/people searches, things like that that are "fuzzy" interfaces. Still, it chugs away annoyingly in the background. And of course they've focused on I/O bottlenecks for hardware performance gains. That probably accounts for most of the real-world improvement since my ancient machines, both of which run at the same clock speeds available today.

ARL (Moderator) – November 02, 2018 06:56PM Reply Quote
My goodness, were we talking about this way back in 2011?

If an ARM chip can do better heat dissipation than intel in a laptop and better graphics, I'm interested.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2018 12:24AM by ARL.

El Jeffe – November 03, 2018 06:45AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Yup, Tone... and you started it, as well.

So, my son is very much into chip design, overlapping his senior year undergrad, with his first classes for his master's degree. He's very dedicated/motivated... at 6 am Saturday morning he drove down to the lab to work on his project. And he was there until 9 pm last night.

At present he is planning to be in Texas next summer working on hopefully such things with a chip company.

I, on the other hand, keep trying to impress upon him that APPLE is the (7 nanometer) dominating cutting edge force, and to seek out the opportunities there. However, not to go work in Taiwan with TSMC, though.

Perfect timing, in my book, for the creation of one SUPER Proud papa. But first, we'll see how Texas 'goes', unless I can drum up an Apple summer position before then for him. He's NOT super excited about housing costs near Cupertino, though. Neither was my other son when he thought about Tesla in Fremont. Indy and many other juicy-center heartland cities are just so damned affordable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2018 06:46AM by El Jeffe.

Roger – November 05, 2018 03:24PM Reply Quote
ddt
The last episode of ATP got into this a bit.

Gruber's on it in text form now too:

In the normal universe, Moore’s Law has stopped delivering significant year-over-year returns, and high-performance portables need fans to cool them. In the iPad universe, Moore’s Law still delivers year after year

bahamut – November 12, 2018 10:36AM Reply Quote
my new iPad Pro is mighty fast. If we can still find a way to run parallels on the Mac, I can live with a forced march.

It’s faster than my sons one year old gaming computer ffs!

ARL (Moderator) – November 12, 2018 08:23PM Reply Quote
What's interesting is that Spple doesn't make a huge deal of this feature. No photoshop bake-offs or whatever.

If you could plug in a trackball and have iOS emulate a pointer, with point & click and a file system you could poke around in, I'd totally get an iPad Pro.

In other words, make it a Mac.

John Willoughby – November 13, 2018 11:53AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
ARL
In other words, make it a Mac.

Give it a couple of years.

tliet – November 14, 2018 12:33AM Reply Quote
If one product by one company is in a good position to get this to work, it's Apple. I'm not sure how abstracted Mac apps are from the hardware, but my guess is; very. It would really be a compile away. Combined with the ability to run iOS apps, it would not be a bad proposition. Apple is getting slaughtered in the classroom these days with Chromebooks (as is Microsoft btw);

El Jeffe – November 16, 2018 01:58PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
This just dropped. And is worth a watch. https://youtu.be/VObg5BiXx6I

ddt – November 16, 2018 03:05PM Reply Quote
Separate from the content, I wish Rene would find another way to present other than staring into the camera with jumps between each edited line.

ddt

El Jeffe – November 16, 2018 03:19PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
seems to be a normal way of doing stuff. To be fair, he also has/and produces content with voice over over videos, too.

My opinion is this for most you tube stuff like this.

1. I have no desire to see your face/s
2. hire a professional voice over person

I don't like so much striving to become a YT celeb.

So, in other words, BE LIKE PHIL!!! He just over-voiced the one video for iPad Pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ5q8Wrkbdw&frags=pl%2Cwn

I now KNOW I love him doing voice overs.

tliet – November 17, 2018 01:49AM Reply Quote
An Apple ARM based 'Chromebook' would do wonders for Apple, positioned between the iOS based iPads and Intel based macOS based portables, it'd be perfect for use cases of a high quality device, with a long battery life and very good performance, priced at 699 or so.

At the same time, it should tread carefully here as not to repeat the mistake from the 90s; a huge variety of propositions all overlapping each other. It'd really have to stand out as a category of its own.

Still, the revolution could begin at the bottom; an ARM macOS based device disguised as an entry level Macbook Air.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2018 01:53AM by tliet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login