Spork Boards

Paying the Bills

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – February 03, 2008 02:46PM Reply Quote
I've just signed up MacEdition for a B&H Photo Video Affiliate program.

If you want to help support MacEdition and Spork, click on the B&H Ad in the header of any MacEdition or Spork page, and buy the toys you need from B&H!

I've bought north of $20k of camera and video equipment from B&H over the last two years, and I know everyone here knows how highly rated they are as a retailer.

They're also an authorized Mac dealer.

MacEdition gets 2% of every sale through that affiliate link, so don't be shy!

tomierna (Admin) – January 19, 2015 07:57AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
No adblockers, JW? Including Ghostery?

El Jeffe – January 19, 2015 12:36PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
turning my extensions off amazon appears. Can you tell me which url/domain to whitelist. Bare minimum (best guess) for it work work here?

John Willoughby – January 20, 2015 03:22PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
tomierna
No adblockers, JW? Including Ghostery?

That's the issue, I think. (I'm on Safari on Yosemite at work now.) I have AdBlocker installed, but set not to run on macedition.com. I've always seen B&H header, and now the B&H widget in the footer. Turning the extension off entirely, and refreshing, shows the Amazon widget, too. I guess that AdBlocker isn't wholly off for macedition.com after all, or the Amazon widget calls out in some way that looks more evil than B&H.

(I'd still appreciate a top-level Amazon link that I could save as a favorite. I buy a lot of stuff through Amazon, and I'd like to throw Tom the money without (necessarily) drilling down to a Spork forum page to get there.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2015 03:26PM by John Willoughby.

ARL (Moderator) – January 30, 2015 10:05PM Reply Quote
Hey Tom, I dunno if this question has been asked before, but are the old spork boards down for good?

tomierna (Admin) – January 31, 2015 12:47PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
They don't have a startup script, so I probably forgot to restart the process at last reboot of this server. Next time I'm in the command line, I'll check.

tomierna (Admin) – January 31, 2015 01:53PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
OK, old boards are back up.

El Jeffe – January 31, 2015 02:55PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
you're nice guy, for having three eyeballs.

ARL (Moderator) – January 31, 2015 09:40PM Reply Quote
Thx Tom!

ddt – February 01, 2015 01:16AM Reply Quote
Yeah, no Amazon below here, either. Latest Safari (though I have AdBlock, Ghostery, Blur (formerly DoNotTrack)... . Can see the B&H, though it's a bit tall for the footer (goes halfway up into the darker green).

ddt

bahamut – February 14, 2015 11:28PM Reply Quote
Can you send me a PM with my password to the old boards. Would like to take a look.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2015 11:30PM by bahamut.

bahamut – March 17, 2015 10:52AM Reply Quote
I bought a drone from B & H. You should get credit for it.

tomierna (Admin) – March 17, 2015 11:58AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Thanks, Baha!

Wobs – March 19, 2015 05:03PM Reply Quote
How much did it cost? My son, Jonathan, wants to buy a drone. It shoots 4k 360 video but it costs $3,995.00. It's his own money
-- like with the Mustang, REALLY Rare, so I'm asking for fatherly interest only & he doesn't want to pay the cost.

Does B&H carry Drones w/video cameras? Live? & does it carry SD HDs or just Flash. We're talking long -- like hours long events.

Wobs

tomierna (Admin) – March 19, 2015 09:24PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
B&H carries drones with built-in cameras, and some have live video transmission, but you won't get hours of runtime out of current battery technology. The power-to-weight ratio just isn't there yet.

Most of them record to SD cards.

The mass-produced drones are in the $2-4k range, and either have a built-in camera or a gimbal mount for a GoPro.

Professionals use build-it-yourself kits, usually six or eight props. They have a much higher payload and runtime capability, but they also run from $20-80k or so.

The production side of my company actually has a drone department, and we use a combination of the pre-built and large kits with pro cameras.

bahamut – March 19, 2015 10:24PM Reply Quote
I bought a DJI phantom 2 with Vision 3.0. They have a higher end one now but this one is pretty darn good.

I have serious reasons to buy it which mean tax deductability, but it's also lots of fun with my 9 year old, so whatavers.

Mine records to a micro SD card. It was a little over $1k.

I have a gopro and its probably higher quality, but this was just way easier.

I can watch the video with my iPhone while I control the drone with the handset.

You can also buy this one for $70. Yes, $70. It takes HD video.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1033025-REG/hubsan_h107crw_hd_x4_quadcopter_h107c_hd_red_white.html

The difference is that it will crash many many times. It is much less stable. I destroyed two of these (DON'T fly them indoors, although they didn't do much worse than lop a piece off an aloe, indoors busts them up fast… then again it's such fun ;) ). But wouldn't you rather learn with a $70 drone than a $1000 drone? I don't think I'd be half as comfortable with the Phantom as I am without the practice I've had with the little bug-drones.

Wobs – July 04, 2015 02:40PM Reply Quote
Yeah. Already busted up "Toy" ones, like the one from "Call of Duty" that had B&W video! Thankfully, we won't need it right now, or anytime soon.
Unless we want to start surveillance, but for that I'd rather use a lightweight UAV!

Cloudscout – February 26, 2016 04:31PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!

John Willoughby – February 26, 2016 05:28PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I've dealt with some people from B&H. No further comment.

El Jeffe – April 22, 2016 06:06AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Spork either was slow to respond, or down(-ish) just now.
Do we have a call-center, after hours support, pager number, warm-line?
:)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login