Spork Boards

That Darn Google...

ARL (Moderator) – May 13, 2011 12:15AM Reply Quote
With the release of Chrome OS (whatever the hell that is) I thought it might be time Google got it's own thread.

Don't be evil? < /Snark...>

Cloudscout – September 17, 2012 09:41PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I still don't see it. Google isn't preventing anyone from using whatever pieces of the Android OS they want to use in any way they want to use it. Acer is free to do whatever they want with Aliyun. No threats of lawsuits or anything. That's the beauty of open source software. There's no licensing for them to sidestep.

The only way this could be compared to the Sun/Oracle situation would be if Oracle was letting all Java licensees distribute Oracle 11g for free and Google cried foul because they couldn't get 11g for free anymore once they started using Dalvik.

John Willoughby – September 18, 2012 01:07AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
OK, I yield. I do see similarities, but I clearly am not making myself clear. If Microsoft could compel Dell contractually to not ship any machine with Linux and WINE, would that be analagous? Certainly, any contract Dell signs is enforceable. Just doesn't seem very open.

Cloudscout – September 18, 2012 09:56AM Reply Quote
Hmm. Yes, that would be a closer match to this situation but it would have to be tied to a secondary product line... Microsoft would have to allow Dell to ship the PCs with Linux/WINE but with a penalty like no longer allowing them to bundle Office with their Windows systems.

John Willoughby – September 18, 2012 10:20AM Reply Quote

ARL (Moderator) – November 12, 2012 05:33AM Reply Quote
Eye opening...

http://dontbubble.us/

John Willoughby – January 02, 2013 04:03PM Reply Quote
I can't imagine sitting down to talk with such an evil bastard. I hope Kim Jung-Un knows what he's getting into!

porruka (Admin) – July 25, 2013 04:10PM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.
Ha! That was quick... did someone from AT&T "Unlimited iPad Data Plans" marketing move to Google?

http://allthingsd.com/20130725/google-ends-netflix-chromecast-promotion

porruka (Admin) – July 25, 2013 05:11PM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.

porruka (Admin) – July 26, 2013 10:28AM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.

ddt – July 26, 2013 12:38PM Reply Quote
I wish I had the data to graph out the relative prevalence of "Apple fanboi!" comments to "Google fanboi!" comments -- adjusted for time and per capita comment usage, of course. I've the sense that the former was widespread and automatic, whilst the latter is rare.

That is, any defense of Apple was seen as fanboi-ism, while defense of Google is seen as... noble?

ddt

porruka (Admin) – July 26, 2013 12:51PM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.
ddt
That is, any defense of Apple was seen as fanboi-ism, while defense of Google is seen as... noble?

ddt

Because Google is "open".

Ron Burns – July 26, 2013 06:23PM Reply Quote
"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation." Voltaire
Google, of course, are not evil..

tomierna (Admin) – October 21, 2013 09:07AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Following up on Google's answer to the Android Fragmentation Problem is how they are accomplishing it.

ddt – November 04, 2013 01:39AM Reply Quote
So what the hell is the user need that this additional UI wiggle and browser overhead serves?

http://twoangstroms.com/twoangstroms/2013/10/25/the-baffling-gmail-wiggle-baffles

ddt

John Willoughby – January 26, 2014 10:31PM Reply Quote

John Willoughby – January 26, 2014 10:34PM Reply Quote

John Willoughby – January 29, 2014 04:42PM Reply Quote
Google selling Motorola to Lenovo for... $3 billion? That can't be right. Didn't they pay $12 billion?

Cloudscout – January 29, 2014 05:27PM Reply Quote
They're keeping the patents.

John Willoughby – January 29, 2014 05:54PM Reply Quote
I saw that the patents were valued at $5.5 billion; I wonder if Wall Street will punish Google for throwing away 5 billion dollars the same way that they punished Apple for selling a record number of iPhones and iPads. Ah, up 2.5% after hours. That seems about right.

johnny k – January 29, 2014 06:55PM Reply Quote
They also had sold the set-top box biz for >$2billion, Moto had $3billion cash at the time of purchase, and since Google bought them, has had >$1billion in losses. At the very least, a big distraction.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login