Spork Boards

That Darn Google...

ARL (Moderator) – May 13, 2011 12:15AM Reply Quote
With the release of Chrome OS (whatever the hell that is) I thought it might be time Google got it's own thread.

Don't be evil? < /Snark...>

ARL (Moderator) – October 24, 2011 04:38AM Reply Quote
I'm trying to find a good article (or better yet journal article) outlining how Google got to where it is today.

In particular, how it crunched its rivals...

Anyone got any tips?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2011 04:38AM by Tony Leggett.

John Willoughby – November 07, 2011 04:50PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Twitterrific reports that Google is now limiting translations; the first one is immediate, then you must wait several minutes for another translation.

[EDIT]

It doesn't seem to affect immediate translation of things that you type in; it might be different for web pages. FWIW.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2011 04:52PM by John Willoughby.

ARL (Moderator) – November 11, 2011 10:35PM Reply Quote
Hmm...

Puzzled why a certain business is listed on the first page for both bing and yahoo but Google seems to not list it at all but does heavily advertise its competitor...

ARL (Moderator) – November 14, 2011 07:51PM Reply Quote
DPBD!

Hmmm... Got a call today from an Australian based Google Adwords "certified parter".

Yesterday I'd been updating a clients details on a few Australian based local directories and they somehow must have noticed that. Long story short, three grand a year (minimum) to get the search results "optimised".

What a scummy shady business racket that is, it reminds me of the fly-by-night sub-prime mortgage 3rd party contractors.

I really despise Google. They're pond scum...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2011 07:52PM by Tony Leggett.

John Willoughby – January 11, 2012 06:53PM Reply Quote
Hey, look, Google's pulling a Microsoft! Using dominance in one market to push their product in another market. Attorneys-General, start your engines!

James DeBenedetti – January 11, 2012 08:02PM Reply Quote
Aren't Microsoft (Bing) and Facebook already doing something similar with search?

John Willoughby – January 12, 2012 02:41AM Reply Quote
I don't think that either Bing or Facebook can be considered to dominate the search market.

dharlow – January 12, 2012 12:42PM Reply Quote
If you have not read this yet about the Google+ search you should http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/11/googleface/

John Willoughby – January 12, 2012 12:46PM Reply Quote

ARL (Moderator) – January 12, 2012 06:53PM Reply Quote
dharlow
If you have not read this yet about the Google+ search you should http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/11/googleface/

Great article. In a nutshell: Google is evil, Facebook is evil, and Microsoft is evil - therefore the market works!

Welcome to the balkanised web.

El Jeffe – January 12, 2012 08:10PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
All in all you're just another brick in the wall.

John Willoughby – January 13, 2012 06:44PM Reply Quote

John Willoughby – January 13, 2012 06:48PM Reply Quote
Google's response:

We were mortified to learn that a team of people working on a Google project improperly used Mocality’s data and misrepresented our relationship with Mocality to encourage customers to create new websites. We’ve already unreservedly apologised to Mocality. We’re still investigating exactly how this happened, and as soon as we have all the facts, we’ll be taking the appropriate action with the people involved.

El Jeffe – January 13, 2012 07:57PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I glanced but had no time to understand that article. I really feel that one or more intelligence agencies must have started, or at least now control vast amounts of Google.
Not that this would necessarily be preeminent stuff this time, but a pattern of deceit.

ARL (Moderator) – January 13, 2012 09:23PM Reply Quote
John Willoughby
Google's response:

We were mortified to learn that a team of people working on a Google project improperly used Mocality’s data and misrepresented our relationship with Mocality to encourage customers to create new websites. We’ve already unreservedly apologised to Mocality. We’re still investigating exactly how this happened, and as soon as we have all the facts, we’ll be taking the appropriate action with the people involved.

Ah, the "rogue-operator/bad-apple" defence. I call bullshit.

It's a company-wide tactic with Google - in Australia, they even outsource it (see my Nov 14 post).

tliet – January 13, 2012 10:20PM Reply Quote
In today's world, wouldn't the US justice dept be a little reluctant to crack down on monopolies of US companies? After all, if they enforce rules on Google or Facebook that hinders their growth on the global web, some other competitor from abroad can make an impact and as we all know; the internet is an all-or-nothing market.

ARL (Moderator) – February 01, 2012 08:11PM Reply Quote
Microsoft attacks Google over privacy...

Minds boggle worldwide...

ARL (Moderator) – February 08, 2012 10:01PM Reply Quote
One policy, one Google experience ... and in the darkness bind them?

ARL (Moderator) – February 28, 2012 07:54PM Reply Quote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login