Spork Boards

Milkshakes for...

rino's Avatar Picture rino – December 11, 2007 09:54AM Reply Quote
Generally miffed at something? Let the world know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2007 09:54AM by rino.

ddt – August 25, 2015 12:39PM Reply Quote
Yeah, respect. Though the complaints and criticisms I've seen of the Amazon buttons (and I've seen many) are mainly about the software, the mission, the business thinking. I hear some people are buying them just to have a $5 wifi+chipset to hack?

ddt

johnny k – August 25, 2015 02:32PM Reply Quote
Amazon Dash buttons are a different beast. It's not promising some magic algorithms or interface. Just a button connected to WiFi, doing what it says it will.

El Jeffe – August 25, 2015 04:52PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
just one button, with a myriad of questions.

YDD – January 08, 2016 10:27PM Reply Quote
I buy a refurbished HP Z210 to host the shiny new vector coprocessor I just purchased.... and the wretched thing won't POST or put out video on DisplayPort. So now I'm going to have to cart it into work to see if it's just a duff speaker and working DVI ports, or whether it's actually DOA. And, of course, taking it in to work may involve convincing the security guards that I'm not wandering off with company property :-(

Cloudscout – January 12, 2016 02:21AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Java.

There is no legitimate reason for this steaming pile of shit to have ever existed and its continued use is a crime against humanity.

ARL (Moderator) – January 12, 2016 03:17AM Reply Quote
Amen, CS.

Cloudscout – January 12, 2016 08:12AM Reply Quote
On a related note, fuck MegaRaid Storage Manager right in the RAID-hole.

This is one of three Java-based tools that I've been fighting. The other two are PowerPanel Business Edition and Ubiquiti's UniFi Controller.

I need to set up alert emails. I'm running hMailServer on Windows. It works great with everything else but these three things failed with it. Certificate errors. PowerPanel and Megaraid failed with Gmail, too, but with unknown errors. For the certificate errors, it turns out the Java keystores in their resepective JRE installs were out of date. I managed to add the CAs that I needed to them which fixed PowerPanel but the other two still didn't work. UniFi at least gave a different error now and it worked with Gmail anyway so I just had to set it up to use Gmail's SMTP server.

MegaRaid is still fighting me. The official documentation says that Gmail isn't supported for alerts. Fantastic. If you happen to be using Google Apps in your org, better not have a MegaRaid adapter because you'll have to have a separate mail server set up to let it send alerts.

Mokers (Moderator) – January 12, 2016 12:55PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I love ubiquiti, but oh man, the fact that the controller requires JAVA sucks so bad.

Cloudscout – January 12, 2016 02:00PM Reply Quote
I managed to get MegaRaid to work with my mail server by whitelisting localhost so it doesn't require TLS auth on loopback.

I may be able to get the Ubiquiti controller to work that way as well. Not going to bother messing with it further until tomorrow when my APs arrive.

JRE needs to go away.

dharlow – January 13, 2016 12:12AM Reply Quote
Java for client side stuff is such a pain.

Cloudscout – January 13, 2016 12:41AM Reply Quote
Good gravy. A while back I decided to stop using self-signed certs, even on my home network stuff. Certs signed by real CAs are cheap enough to make this a reasonable task.

The UniFi Controller uses its own self-signed cert for its web interface. Replacing it is needlessly complicated. I finally got it done, though. Getting the controller to run as a Windows Service was clumsy as well. Since I'm running Server 2012, I have to install BOTH the x86 and x64 versions of JRE for it to work.

For a product line that claims to be Enterprise-Class, their dev team pulls some seriously amateur-class shit.

Mokers (Moderator) – January 13, 2016 02:37PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
The hardware is enterprise class, the software, ehhhh, not so much for me.

Cloudscout – January 13, 2016 03:29PM Reply Quote
I'll be installing the new hardware tonight. I'm hoping they live up to the hype.

John Willoughby – January 22, 2016 04:23PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Well, my wife has just spent half an hour trying to airplay an album on her iPhone to the Apple TV. (I have no doubt that I could get it to work, but I am not home.)

1. Couldn't start AirPlay within iTunes, had to be told how to start it from the home screen.
2. Couldn't stop songs from shuffling, even though I walked her through what (I think) the process is.
3. Didn't realize currently playing song was now just a tiny bar at the bottom of her screen by default
4. After playing one song, would not proceed to the next (after trying to turn off shuffling in step 2)
5. Annoyed at Apple Music thrusting itself into all processes, even though she doesn't subscribe. (And after what Apple Music did to my playlists and music, she is never going to!)

She is now burning a CD to play on our PlayStation 3, just so that she can listen to her f***ing music in the order that she wants to hear it in.

She's been an iPhone user since 2007, never had any trouble making it do what she wants. (Except AirDrop.) Apple is screwing over its UI, and its customers, in the race to cram new features into the OS. I was happier with my iPhone 4s than my 6s, and I doubt that I am alone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2016 04:26PM by John Willoughby.

El Jeffe – January 22, 2016 04:59PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Airplay is the number one Apple technology in my mind right now. Everyone here uses it, we have 3 airplay speakers and apple cvs that we use various devices and apps to toss audio and or video on to.
I wish we had more airplay speaker choices.

ARL (Moderator) – January 22, 2016 08:23PM Reply Quote
John Willoughby
Well, my wife has just spent half an hour trying to airplay an album on her iPhone to the Apple TV. (I have no doubt that I could get it to work, but I am not home.)

1. Couldn't start AirPlay within iTunes, had to be told how to start it from the home screen.
2. Couldn't stop songs from shuffling, even though I walked her through what (I think) the process is.
3. Didn't realize currently playing song was now just a tiny bar at the bottom of her screen by default
4. After playing one song, would not proceed to the next (after trying to turn off shuffling in step 2)
5. Annoyed at Apple Music thrusting itself into all processes, even though she doesn't subscribe. (And after what Apple Music did to my playlists and music, she is never going to!)

She is now burning a CD to play on our PlayStation 3, just so that she can listen to her f***ing music in the order that she wants to hear it in.

She's been an iPhone user since 2007, never had any trouble making it do what she wants. (Except AirDrop.) Apple is screwing over its UI, and its customers, in the race to cram new features into the OS. I was happier with my iPhone 4s than my 6s, and I doubt that I am alone.

I know it's cheesy, but would one of those online petitions (Say "Dear Apple, please fix the unholy mess that is iTunes") with a couple of hundred thousand signatures create enough of a PR headache to spur them into action?

#Slactivism FTW!

El Jeffe – January 26, 2016 09:44PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I suck.
I have no idea how to buy a cell phone. Especially more than one.
I can't get there from here.

I honestly don't understand what it all means.
I go to cricket wireless, and I can't even put but ONE phone in the cart. why is there a cart if I can't put more than one in it?
And I can't sign up or register until I do something... activate? Buy? What? how?

I just want to point and grunt at what I want. Seriously went to their store (physical) and it's MORE to do it there and they can't even sell me the phones.
So, cricket has $40 for first phone (Line? Phone NUMBER? What is it even?) then $10 less for whatever it is.. (Line?). ...

But you can't magically make the price drop to $30.... since it's unaware you had to buy the $40 (phone/line?) first... so, how does one get the discount? I HAVE NO CLUE.

Do I need SIMs first? only for the 3 OLD phones? Do new phones COME with SIMS? Sims seems to cost $10 at store and online and or at walmart or meijer or target. But I can get sims on eBay for $6. will those do? do I need those first?

I honestly think I am going insane or senile. And I've eaten at a small dinner with the CEO of AT&T (from my hometown) and I bet he would not even understand this. (AT&T owns cricket)

So, it's $125 to activate at cricket store; but free at WM/target/meijer? does that include all the sims or does one need to pay $50 for all those, too?

So many days I am ready to give up. Just give up.

Cloudscout – February 01, 2016 09:33PM Reply Quote
Dear Weather Channel,

Winter storms do not have names. Please stop trying to give them names. It's stupid.

bahamut – March 07, 2016 11:29PM Reply Quote
Dear Macworld,

Autoplay videos? Fuck you.

El Jeffe – March 08, 2016 09:29AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
yep

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login