Spork Boards

Books: Paper, screen, audio

El Jeffe's Avatar Picture El Jeffe – November 17, 2010 06:58PM Reply Quote
Share your paper-turning, Kindle-scrolling, Audible-listening 'book' thoughts.

John Willoughby – March 21, 2018 11:25PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I liked the books. This season is based on the first of them. As I recall the plot, the series has diverged a little from the book, but not too far. I'm only two or three episodes in, myself.

My mental pictures of the book's scenes were not as Blade Runner-ish in the commercial and upscale areas, but the show's interpretations are valid. (And probably a big plus for most of the audience.)

James DeBenedetti – March 22, 2018 07:35PM Reply Quote
I haven't read his SF novels, but his Fantasy novel that I read was pretty good.

bahamut – May 23, 2018 10:07PM Reply Quote
Artemis is so poorly written, I wonder if I will ever finish it. Just so, so bad.

johnny k – July 05, 2018 03:03PM Reply Quote
I think someone here recommended A Darkling Sea? Finally ran across a paper copy at the library. Really good world building, original exploration of its themes, and better writing than some of my favorite sci-fi, especially for a debut. (Thinking of Old Man's War, which I also read recently... that one warms up but the first chunk of it is stilted.) Go read it.

johnny k – September 02, 2018 11:26AM Reply Quote
Did someone here recommend A Fire Upon the Deep? About a third of the way in and happy that there's a whole series to look forward to. Don't think I've read something literally so epic in scale. Great ideas about the zones of the galaxy affecting physics, and how that leads to crazy advancement in say, processing power - advantages that are neutralized when you go back to the "slow" zones. Or a mind spread across multiple bodies.

John Willoughby – September 04, 2018 12:42PM Reply Quote
Sounds a little like Poul Anderson's Brainwave. It's been four decades since I read it, but it was about the solar system's motion bringing it into a new region of space. In this zone, intelligence increased by orders of magnitude. The main character in the book had been profoundly mentally challenged before the change, and attained normal intelligence (along with many of Earth's more intelligent animals) as a result of the change. Mainstream humanity passed him by, though, moving to incomprehensible levels of cogitation.

johnny k – September 04, 2018 02:13PM Reply Quote
Yeah, in this one, I think the max speed of things can exceed c the further out you are. The Transcend is outside the galaxy where computing power can make you a god, or an AI into one. And if you're designing a spaceship, your systems have to be able to degrade gracefully (such as the UI goes down to a text terminal).

Also, bandwidth is still critical, as you'd imagine when holding together a collection of star systems across the galaxy, and they mostly use text, ie Usenet.

John Willoughby – September 04, 2018 02:40PM Reply Quote
Does command line degrade to emoji? Then emoticons? :)

bahamut – September 08, 2018 10:23PM Reply Quote
I don’t know if it was me, but I kind of liked the whole Fire Upon the Deep series BUT!!!!

I had some issues...

1.... not enough on weird galactic physics
2.... too much doggie
3.... not enough spread between the novels

Am reading Peter Watts Blindsight. Have some issues (vampires???), but so far am impressed by the differing human intelligences and the weird ass aliens.

ARL (Moderator) – September 08, 2018 10:34PM Reply Quote
I'm sure #2 on baha's list needs further elaboration...

John Willoughby – September 08, 2018 11:10PM Reply Quote
I liked Blindsight.

johnny k – September 10, 2018 12:45PM Reply Quote
ARL, there's a planet of medieval dog packs where a lot of the original book takes place. Uh, just read it. I liked that whole thing in the first book, but once that world was built in book, definitely wanted to see more of the universe. As I'm reading the start of the second, though, looks like we're delving further into doggie geopolitics. So I provisionally agree with you, Baha.

johnny k – September 10, 2018 04:31PM Reply Quote
Powell's is cool. Just spent an hour in the kids section looking at science books. They even have some used space books from the 60's. I need to visit physical bookstores more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2018 04:34PM by johnny k.

ARL (Moderator) – September 11, 2018 05:47PM Reply Quote
When I go to the bookstore I always head to the science section.

I have way too many books about chemistry physics astronomy etc

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login