Spork Boards

Books: Paper, screen, audio

El Jeffe's Avatar Picture El Jeffe – November 17, 2010 06:58PM Reply Quote
Share your paper-turning, Kindle-scrolling, Audible-listening 'book' thoughts.

El Jeffe – November 24, 2011 09:06AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Kind of book-related... but for AUTHORS...
MacBreak Weekly mentioned this one
Write or Die -- they said there is a selectable mode that if you choose to ignore its reminders to WRITE SOMETHING TODAY... it can start to DELETE what you've already written.

http://writeordie.com/

Mokers (Moderator) – November 24, 2011 09:58AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Tony,

You are not the only one. I think it was originally supposed to be a trilogy, then he said he wanted to make 5 books. During writing the fourth, he had to split it in two. Now he says 7. If he sticks to 7 he might finish. I fear he is going to try and extend it to 10 and then we are all fucked.

ASOIF turned me on to more fantasy stuff. I am always looking for suggestions in the genre. Heinlein really turned me on to scifi again so I am always looking for suggestions there as well.

ARL (Moderator) – November 24, 2011 07:48PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I assume you've read Raymond Feist's Magician and subsequent books?

When I was younger I read a lot of Stephen Donaldson's stuff, both Thomas Covenant and the Gap series (the latter was surprisingly good). Donaldson's big flaw is he always seems to have a flawed/violated/degraded female "victim" character in his books which can be off-putting.

Agreed on Heinlein, I'll have to reread Stranger in a Strange Land. I liked most of the Asimov, Arthur C Clarke, Frank Herbert stuff. Kim Stanley Robinson's Red/Green/Blue Mars was interesting too.

I'm going to read some William Gibson stuff next and after that I'll have to track down some H.P. Lovecraft (yup, I've never read about Chuthulu...)

Jeff Cooper – November 25, 2011 12:10PM Reply Quote
I'm still slogging through the Jobs bio. It's not terrible, but Isaacson really wasn't a great choice to write this--he seems more interested in the restaurants Jobs ate at than in the technology decisions he made.

bahamut – November 25, 2011 10:57PM Reply Quote
Indeed Isaacson isn't ideal but after tackling the entire song of fire and ice pentology, he seemed appropriate.

James DeBenedetti – November 26, 2011 03:19PM Reply Quote
Mokers
ASOIF turned me on to more fantasy stuff. I am always looking for suggestions in the genre. Heinlein really turned me on to scifi again so I am always looking for suggestions there as well.

Fantasy: The Black Company (series)

SF: Neuromancer (series)

I'll give you more when you're done with those.

James DeBenedetti – December 20, 2011 02:39PM Reply Quote
After reading the first few chapters of "A Feast for Crows", I now understand everyone's complaint about the last couple of books in the series being slow and pointless. Back around the time book 2 or 3 was released, there was an interview with George R. R. Martin where he said the 4th book (A Feast for Crows) would most likely be set five years after book 3, because not much happened during those five years. Since that interview, book 4 not only grew so big that it had to be split in two (A Feast for Crows, and A Dance with Dragons), it actually starts right where book 3 left off. Talk about a lost decade!

ARL (Moderator) – December 21, 2011 09:36PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
For me, the long pointless journey of Brienne was a particular highlight of book four...

On a par with the prolonged pointless brooding of Danearys (sp?) in book five...

El Jeffe – December 29, 2011 12:12PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I am plowing through Steve Jobs.
SPOILERS:
he sure cries a lot.
Did neither Apple nor MS reach-out to Xerox for a statement/agreement to something like "We here at Xerox give our blessing to _______ 's use of PARC's innovative ideas as the source of inspiration for their Operating System" ???
It is still very interesting that Jobs and Gates are so diametrically opposed, but joined at the hip in many ways.

John Willoughby – December 29, 2011 01:49PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
As soon as Apple or MS admitted inspiration by PARC, HP has excellent grounds for a law suit. IMHO. IANAL. BBQ. WTF.

El Jeffe – December 29, 2011 02:56PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
But that's what I'm saying. The MS lawsuit Apple lost is likely precedent to preclude such a thing. But if both sides would agree to put that behind them and make a joint statement for the good of pure computer geek history, it would be nice.

ARL (Moderator) – December 29, 2011 07:09PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
The kindle version of snuff seems to have been fixed...

Reading it now...

El Jeffe – February 05, 2012 04:35PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Churchill's History of the English-Speaking Peoples
http://amzn.to/wwrtt3
http://bit.ly/Acg7HQ

Interesting Brit perspective on many historical times around the world. Especially interesting I am finding his take on the USA at the time of Lincoln, secessionists, etc.

John Willoughby – February 05, 2012 07:09PM Reply Quote
Churchill wrote an alternate history story, "If Lee had not won the Battle of Gettysburg," told by a fictional resident of a universe where Lee DID win the battle. He was into the American Civil War.

ARL (Moderator) – February 05, 2012 07:25PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Churchill is a less popular figure in Australia, especially with his "deployment" of Aussie troops in WWII.

That said, I am quite ignorant of a lot of American history so maybe should give it a squizz...

bahamut – February 07, 2012 10:38PM Reply Quote
Fear Index wasn't bad. Plowed through it in a weekend.

ARL (Moderator) – February 15, 2012 08:26PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
It's a long plane trip but the photo might be worth it:

http://www.w5online.co.uk/whats-on/game-of-thrones/

ARL (Moderator) – July 28, 2012 01:26AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Currently reading Cruiser: about the HMAS Perth in WWII.

Great read. Hellish story though.

John Willoughby – August 15, 2012 06:26PM Reply Quote
Hachette UK tries to pressure Tor Books into re-introducing DRM.

"When you publish a book without DRM it limits our ability to sell it WITH DRM in the regions where we hold the licensing rights." (My summarization of their stance.)

El Jeffe – August 16, 2012 04:08PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I am about to dive into Operation Mincemeat; as suggested by Andy Inahtko http://www.mbwpicks.com/

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login