Spork Boards

Books: Paper, screen, audio

El Jeffe's Avatar Picture El Jeffe – November 17, 2010 06:58PM Reply Quote
Share your paper-turning, Kindle-scrolling, Audible-listening 'book' thoughts.

Jeff Cooper – December 17, 2010 03:54PM Reply Quote
I'm reading Soccernomics--basically Moneyball for European soccer, without so much focus on individual personalities. It's reasonably good (although you have to care about soccer--which I do).

ARL (Moderator) – December 28, 2010 03:37AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Currently reading Kokoda by Peter Fitzsimons. First war history book I've read in probably ten years.

Didn't realise how much, and in how many different ways, the likes of Winston Churchill and General Macarthur (as well as many Australian top brass) were complete and utter douchebags...

El Jeffe – December 28, 2010 06:44AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Coincidentally, I'm into "Churchill" by Paul Johnson. I wanted something fairly short and hopefully concise to fill in some blanks before heading into other related topics.

http://www.amazon.com/Churchill-Paul-Johnson/dp/0670021059

Looks like our library does not have Kokoda

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2010 06:48AM by El Jeffe.

El Jeffe – January 08, 2011 05:40PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Got through with the American on Purpose. It wasn't quite what I expected going in. And I can tell you that I had never seen Craig Ferguson on TV, so I had no point of reference beforehand.
It has made me want to see some of his films that he mentioned.

ddt – January 08, 2011 11:53PM Reply Quote
Go straight to watching "Late Late Show" in Hulu instead... .

ddt

El Jeffe – February 15, 2011 08:21PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I really liked Gore Vidal's Inventing a Nation. Finished it today. For a 'historical' piece, he throws in a lot of funny wit, sarcasm, etc. Plus, it's an easy-to-digest size and all.
I thought I'd add it to my list of various writings on the founding fathers. Glad I did. He drew from some good material and really showed how in such a short time our little land produced some of the great modern thinkers, that moved our form of government from ideas to a working machine ; while at the same time exposing the not-so-finely-tuned aspects and how they quickly sprouted up.

John Willoughby – February 15, 2011 09:23PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I loved his book Creation.

El Jeffe – February 19, 2011 05:30AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Since Pride, Prejudice and Zombies I cannot recommend, I really held out no hope for Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter.
I was wrong.
I want to see the movie of this bloodfest. Very enjoyable book.

John Willoughby – February 19, 2011 06:53PM Reply Quote
That bodes well for Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter. And Jane Slayre.

ARL (Moderator) – February 19, 2011 08:32PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
On a related note I just finished the Anne Rice trilogy - Interview with a Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, and Queen of the Damned.

A good read.

Was a bit baffled to learn she is now writing a Jesus Christ trilogy. Confusing fiction with what is considered by some Gospel truth or ancient history just doesn't sit well with me. I know it shouldn't bother me as I consider Christianity to simply be an elaborate work of fiction but it puzzles me.

Anyhoo...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2011 08:36PM by Tony Leggett.

El Jeffe – March 04, 2011 06:31PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
listening to lectures (at #22)
http://www.teach12.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=8296
I am loving filling in the vast emptiness that is my knowledge of much of history. Never been a history buff.
This is a pretty typical lecture. He's really straight forward, matter of fact. Fast-paced, with section-ending reviews that are very clif note-y.
Great for boring commutes. I drive slower, save gas, learn more. :)

ARL (Moderator) – March 05, 2011 07:08PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Would love to learn more Ancient Greek & roman history/mythology. Would also like to know more norse mythology (Valkyries baby!)

Read "Blind Faith" by Ben Elton - thought provoking in the era of CCTV surveillance, reality TV and facebook...

ARL (Moderator) – August 02, 2011 08:25PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
DPBD!

I should have posted all the talk about Game of Thrones in here.

One thing I wasn't aware of was all the fanboy angst about GRR Martin basically doing a JK Rowling...

Personally, that's the risk you take when you start reading an unfinished series.

El Jeffe – August 30, 2011 03:55PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Finished lecture series today - http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/Course_Detail.aspx?cid=869

I am switching gears now from all the UK/EU/Greek/Roman history stuff to something more introspective.

I swear this is making me thing of Stuart Smalley (That MOUSEY Sen. Franken) but so far the positive, reinforcing anecdotes are good.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Enjoy-Your-Life-Job/dp/0671708260

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2011 03:59PM by El Jeffe.

John Willoughby – August 30, 2011 03:58PM Reply Quote
Umm... Stuart Little was a mouse. I think you mean Stuart Smalley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2011 03:58PM by John Willoughby.

El Jeffe – August 30, 2011 03:59PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
tag, you're it.

ARL (Moderator) – September 01, 2011 07:30PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Hmmm... halfway through the fourth book (or should I say part II of book three) of Game of Thrones.

If George Martin wants to make this a seven book series as he claims - he going to run out of characters at this rate.

John Willoughby – September 02, 2011 12:11AM Reply Quote
By Book VII, all of the characters will be re-animated corpses.

ARL (Moderator) – September 02, 2011 02:39AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Book seven shall be called "Blue-eyed memory lane"...

Seriously though, with every character that George Martin builds up an emotional resonance with the reader - he then either kills them off or has something horrible happen to them - repeatedly.

On the flip side if you're a morally repugnant slug, you are likely to prosper - repeatedly.

I'm not saying I want a "and they all lived happily ever after" story but sweet jebus, is George Martin the Franz Kafka of the fantasy genre?

I know Tyrion makes it through to book IV (I read the back blurb in a store) but given I like his character - I'm guessing his days are numbered...

James DeBenedetti – September 02, 2011 02:42AM Reply Quote
If you want to read a depressing series, try the (currently out of print; and incomplete; but very good) War Against the Chtorr series (A Matter for Men, et al.). It's by David Gerrold - writer of the "Trouble with Tribbles" episode for Star Trek.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2011 02:44AM by James DeBenedetti.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login