Spork Boards

MacOS X a dog or just in need of a good bitch slap?

Dr Phred's Avatar Picture Dr Phred (Moderator) – December 10, 2007 03:05PM Reply Quote
Can't keep a good topic down....

owned by the mothership.

John Willoughby – October 31, 2016 04:55PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Seriously thinking of doing this on my Blade for when I want to access Messages with a keyboard and don't want to dig out one of my Macs. I know that it's overkill, and perverse, but it looks like fun. My only real concern is the provenance of the binaries involved.

John Willoughby – October 31, 2016 05:15PM Reply Quote
I spoke too soon. VMWare too pricey for this, and I'm not going to pirate it. Still, interesting that it is even possible, especially with functioning Siri.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2016 05:15PM by John Willoughby.

Cloudscout – October 31, 2016 09:52PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Haven't watched the video but I'm pretty sure you can use the free VMware player and follow the same hack process to get OSX to install on it.

John Willoughby – November 15, 2016 04:18PM Reply Quote
Cloudscout
Haven't watched the video but I'm pretty sure you can use the free VMware player and follow the same hack process to get OSX to install on it.

Yep, though I used a different hack. I now have Sierra running on my work PC and my Razer at home. Getting Messages to work was not simple, but other people have already done the heavy lifting. Good to have quick access to a "Mac" when needed, and not much less powerful than my MacBook.

ARL (Moderator) – November 15, 2016 08:15PM Reply Quote
Keep us updated on how well that works. Seriously considering this for my next "Mac".

John Willoughby – November 15, 2016 09:28PM Reply Quote
I'm running it with 4 GB of RAM and 2 "processors." It's adequate for typing in Messages and mostly for web browsing. I wouldn't trust it with much more than that without throwing more resources at it. I'll let you know what happens with more allocated to it when I get a chance to try.

One thing that I've noticed is that it is not as fun on a 4k machine. Menus and such are way too small, and with the limited resources screen refreshes can be a little laggy. I can use Accessibility to make things legible, but it's not a fun way to use the machine.

ARL (Moderator) – November 16, 2016 01:16AM Reply Quote
Oh, ok.

If I did do it, I want it to be a full-on frankenMac.

Shit-tons of crazy fast RAM, shit-tons of crazy fast graphics, dozens of 4-core i7s or you know, whatever...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2016 01:16AM by ARL.

John Willoughby – November 16, 2016 11:40AM Reply Quote
Well, if you're looking at a desktop machine, a Hackintosh can be amazing if you build it with the right components. I was pricing components yesterday and it looked like about $2000 (without monitor) would build a very nice machine. You could go much cheaper if performance wasn't a prime concern.

Why doesn't some laptop manufacturer put out a "Linux" laptop that, by an extraordinary and totally unplanned coincidence, has components that are all compatible with Apple drivers? I'd think that they'd sell a lot of them.

dharlow – November 16, 2016 05:25PM Reply Quote
Don't you have to worry each time there is an update to the OS with a hackintosh? Or do they have automated patchers for that now?

John Willoughby – November 16, 2016 06:07PM Reply Quote
I think that you still do on a Hackintosh, but the closer it is to current Mac hardware in terms of drivers than the smoother the upgrade. I gave up on my Hackintosh a while ago, purely due to stressing over upgrades. It never actually failed on one.

dharlow – November 17, 2016 01:25AM Reply Quote
Sal is not with Apple any more, even Gruber says this is not good news for the Mac.

John Willoughby – November 17, 2016 11:30AM Reply Quote
I saw that. I always thought that GUI-based automation could have gone so much further than it did, and it looks like it's dead now.

El Jeffe – November 17, 2016 11:50AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/17/mac-user-automation-sal-soghoian/

So, few years back (19?) I wrote what I'll call kind of a Google (news) before google/news really splashed onto mainstream.
It scoured the web 24/7 for certain items and collected those into a web interface results.
I also hired writers and created a web-based contribution portal that would submit their writings to our editors, and wrap the resultant contribution with our site's standard look and feel. And insert it into our news/article web feed/stream.

I based it all on AppleScript and Filemaker.
I always felt AppleScript could be improved, and was just on the edge of being GREAT.
Withered on the vine in some ways.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2016 11:51AM by El Jeffe.

porruka (Admin) – November 17, 2016 11:55AM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.
Siriscript is the new thing, don't you know? Why do all that typing when you can just yell at your Mac in frustration?

John Willoughby – November 17, 2016 12:02PM Reply Quote
Because it misunderstands the obscenities that I direct towards it?

porruka (Admin) – November 17, 2016 12:23PM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.
John Willoughby
Because it misunderstands the obscenities that I direct towards it?

Pshaw. Like you could conjugate "to fuck oneself" properly in AppleScript either.

John Willoughby – November 17, 2016 12:27PM Reply Quote
But I didn't need to swear at AppleScript.

John Willoughby – November 29, 2016 07:48PM Reply Quote
I'm having this issue, and from a look around the web so are some other people: On macOS, Sierra's Mail.app is ignoring rules and also classifying as spam mail from people in my Contacts, even though the option is selected to never consider such mail spam. There is also no way to tell Mail that a given email isn't spam. That option is gone, now all that you can do is tell Mail "Move to Inbox" from your spam folder. (This last is probably a deliberate UI decision, though a terrible one.)

You can still create rules in iCloud through a web browser, but they are laughably limited and inadequate. (Which is weird, because that offers a place where a user could set rules that would apply across Macs, iPhones, and iPads.)

People have always complained about Mail.app, but until Sierra I rather liked it. Now it is failing for me, big time. And there is no reason in the world why iCloud rules have to suck so badly relative to, say, Gmail's rules. I don't know if they've been improved this decade.

ARL (Moderator) – November 29, 2016 10:58PM Reply Quote
OMG, so glad I have been too slack to upgrade to Sierra.

I semi-regularly have to mark mail as "junk/not-junk". That would make mail a fiasco for me.

ddt – December 29, 2016 10:05AM Reply Quote
What's the best or most useful you've seen primer on how to use Spaces on a per-project basis? Trying to work something up on the topic of focus versus distraction (the Dock, apps to check on, emails, etc.).

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login