Spork Boards

MacOS X a dog or just in need of a good bitch slap?

Dr Phred's Avatar Picture Dr Phred (Moderator) – December 10, 2007 03:05PM Reply Quote
Can't keep a good topic down....

owned by the mothership.

johnny k – September 24, 2016 05:04AM Reply Quote
Hot shit! That solution look like it works for mine, too. Did you have to cut room for it? Other than Continuity, have you used the BLE for anything else? If I can use it during development of my BLE hardware that'd be excellent.

Yeah, I do like the cost of upgrading storage. My original 500GB drive just died (no longer my boot drive), so I got a hybrid 1GB replacement for $80. I guess the 2.5" HDDs have stalled at 1GB. I'm also down to 5 case screws.

ddt – September 24, 2016 09:43AM Reply Quote

John Willoughby – September 24, 2016 04:15PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
There was a discussion in the Ars Technica review about how multiple Desktops were handled. It seemed non-intuitive, though I don't have a better idea. It didn't matter to me as I don't like the idea of non-local files that I haven't decided to make non-local. I may try it later, once it's had a while to mature.

John Willoughby – September 24, 2016 04:17PM Reply Quote
I am trying this card to make my 2012 MBP 802.11ac compatible. Allegedly uses the same chipset as Apple, so no driver issues.

johnny k – September 24, 2016 05:58PM Reply Quote
Tom's solution is the same chipset. I punched it into eBay yesterday and will be out just $20 if it doesn't work.

porruka (Admin) – September 24, 2016 08:53PM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.
johnny k
Tom's solution is the same chipset. I punched it into eBay yesterday and will be out just $20 if it doesn't work.

Link for the lazy?

johnny k – September 24, 2016 10:15PM Reply Quote
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=BCM94331PCIEBT4AX&_sacat=0

I apparently won't get the full effect since the new card has three antenna attachment points and my 2010 only has two antennas. So I guess I still don't get 5GHz. More good info on enabling Continuity here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2016 10:19PM by johnny k.

ARL (Moderator) – September 25, 2016 04:04AM Reply Quote
ddt
Can anyone help Josh?

ddt

This sums up my wariness/distrust/full-blown-paranoia about "the cloud". Despite the theoretical benefits, I avoid it wherever possible. A while back I clicked yes on "use iCloud to sync contacts/calendars?" and I now have half a dozen copies of everything and no clue how to clean it up.

Make the cloud simple no fuss "it just works" like IMAP email. Until then, pass.

tomierna (Admin) – September 25, 2016 12:19PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Honestly, I used it for Continuity for the first couple of months after I installed it, and then forgot to re-enable it after some OS update or another.

While it does use the same chipset as Apple, I think OS X decides what driver to use based on the major hardware platform string, so the enabler app does some config that can be undone by OS updates, and requires that SIP be turned off.

This discussion has caused me to re-enable it, and the enabler now has an auto-checker.

I didn't have to make any mods to my late 2011 17", the card being replaced has the same dimensions.

bahamut – September 25, 2016 09:03PM Reply Quote
I quit reading that article after the first paragraph. Who in their right mind would use iCloud to store all their documents? That's an accident waiting to happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2016 09:04PM by bahamut.

John Willoughby – September 28, 2016 12:43PM Reply Quote
I'm getting a little annoyed at the differences in Messages between macOS, iOS, and watchOS. iOS can send stickers and all sorts of effects, the watch can send weird animated faces, macOS can show the weird faces but not the iOS effects, watch can't show at least most of the iOS effects. The whole sticker and special effect thing in iOS feels like an attempt to grab the younger crowd (not a bad thing in itself), and the functionality will probably make its way to the Mac eventually, but a lot of it won't ever work on the watch.

It feels like Apple is deliberately fragmenting one of their most successful products.

El Jeffe – September 29, 2016 03:59AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
After driving by and visiting Apple's campii last week, the SPACESHIP should unify them in more ways than one.

johnny k – September 29, 2016 01:05PM Reply Quote
Installed the new WiFi/BLE module, with a bunch of hacking away at the plastic bracket. The WiFi works fine. Bluetooth, I can see a MAC address but otherwise it's unresponsive. The Continuity tool's diagnostic doesn't recognize it. Shouldn't be a bad connection — you'd think either both work or neither.

John Willoughby – October 01, 2016 11:07PM Reply Quote
Dammit. My sincere belief that non-retina 2012 MBP with the top-of-the-line graphics and best i7 CPU had the same internals as the retina 2012 MBP with the same graphics chip and CPU has proven to be ill-founded. Can't install the 802.11ac card that I bought.

porruka (Admin) – October 02, 2016 01:10AM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.
John Willoughby
Dammit. My sincere belief that non-retina 2012 MBP with the top-of-the-line graphics and best i7 CPU had the same internals as the retina 2012 MBP with the same graphics chip and CPU has proven to be ill-founded. Can't install the 802.11ac card that I bought.

Is it the one that will fit (in theory) in the early 2011s? I might buy it off you...

John Willoughby – October 02, 2016 02:33AM Reply Quote
I don't think so, Porruka, but if you want to check your motherboard and see if it looks like page 4 of this, you can be more certain.

porruka (Admin) – October 02, 2016 11:50AM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.
John Willoughby
I don't think so, Porruka, but if you want to check your motherboard and see if it looks like page 4 of this, you can be more certain.

According to this compatibility chart (http://www.quickertek.com/manuals/CardCompatibilityChart.pdf), no, it won't. Darnit.

ddt – October 02, 2016 06:10PM Reply Quote
Should I be concerned that for the last week or so I've been noticing (even w/ reboots) that a kernel_task is regularly taking up 1.15GB or so and maybe 15-30% CPU? I did upgrade to Sierra, but it was doing that before, too. And RAM in use seems to be higher in the new Safari and Sierra. Sometimes I'll click on a Dock icon and the Applications folder will open in the Finder instead -- or I won't be able to switch between apps. Just now I clicked on the Edit link for this message and it opened a new tab (that's different).

ddt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2016 06:12PM by ddt.

ddt – October 03, 2016 09:32AM Reply Quote
DPBD: I'm looking forward to the next Safari update.

Ct2XTz4VUAAIqyh.jpg

ddt

tomierna (Admin) – October 04, 2016 10:40AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
I'd go through all of the places Internet Plugins are kept, like /Library/Internet Plug-Ins and ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins, and disable anything older than a couple of years ago.

On the first Sierra developer preview I was having major Safari slowdowns until I purged a bunch of old stuff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login