Spork Boards

MacOS X a dog or just in need of a good bitch slap?

Dr Phred's Avatar Picture Dr Phred (Moderator) – December 10, 2007 03:05PM Reply Quote
Can't keep a good topic down....

owned by the mothership.

John Willoughby – June 21, 2016 10:25AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I riveted on Lrrrr and Fry.

El Jeffe – July 18, 2016 03:32PM Reply Quote
What a journey.

ARL (Moderator) – July 18, 2016 07:52PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I'll wait while everyone else beta-tests...

ddt – July 18, 2016 11:44PM Reply Quote
Good for me so far.

ddt

El Jeffe – July 19, 2016 03:59AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
call me beta-boi.

John Willoughby – July 19, 2016 01:02PM Reply Quote
I've been fine so far, latest iOS and MacOS, but I haven't stressed them much.

ddt – July 27, 2016 06:09PM Reply Quote
Anyone else seeing this? Current Safari, current Mac OS: Safari windows end up getting longer and longer (I size them so they don't reach the bottom of my monitor screen, but eventually they do all on their own! Dock is docked on the left side, like a gentleman.)

ddt

El Jeffe – August 05, 2016 03:52PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
nuh-uh

John Willoughby – September 21, 2016 01:37PM Reply Quote
Nuts. Apple Watch unlocking in Sierra requires your Mac to have 802.11ac WiFi.

John Willoughby – September 21, 2016 02:18PM Reply Quote
From the Ars Technica macOS Sierra review:

Stripe has a demo page where you can try out Apple Pay on the web: https://stripe.com/docs/apple-pay/web

You (allegedly) won't be charged. If they're lying, I just paid them $30...

John Willoughby – September 21, 2016 03:06PM Reply Quote
Heh. From the same review, about the beta for the new Apple file system (not for general use): "Do not taunt your APFS file system."

ddt – September 21, 2016 03:28PM Reply Quote
*ding*

Bet that was targeted at Siracusa.

ddt

tomierna (Admin) – September 21, 2016 07:35PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
John, you may be able to upgrade the WiFi/Bluetooth card in your Mac. I did it for my 2011 MBP.

John Willoughby – September 21, 2016 08:30PM Reply Quote
tomierna
John, you may be able to upgrade the WiFi/Bluetooth card in your Mac. I did it for my 2011 MBP.

Interesting. I think I did that back in the 90's for a PowerBook. I'd forgotten that was even a possibility. I'll look into it, Tom, thanks.

dharlow – September 22, 2016 09:49AM Reply Quote
Did it in my Mac Pro too.

porruka (Admin) – September 22, 2016 10:01AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
tomierna

Which 2011 model did you upgrade, Tom?

johnny k – September 22, 2016 10:16AM Reply Quote
Looks like my 2010 MBP just misses the cutoff for that upgrade. I got a cheap BLE dongle that doesn't seem to be recognized by the system at all, either. Man, if I could get BLE and 802.11ac, I'm riding this thing to the gates of Valhalla.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2016 10:17AM by johnny k.

ARL (Moderator) – September 22, 2016 10:27PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Aside from the wifi apple watch thingy are there any other dramas with old wifi on Sierra?

As for the Ars article, sweet jebus, are there any TL;DR summaries?

ARL (Moderator) – September 22, 2016 10:33PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
DPD!

Good summary at the end:

Improved software that runs on coasting hardware

Sierra is a perfectly fine operating system update. Like other yearly macOS releases (and the new periodic Windows 10 releases), it makes solid improvements without pulling the rug out from under users of the current version. It cuts hardware from the support list somewhat arbitrarily, but those aging Core 2 Duo systems can’t be expected to last forever and they’ll still get El Capitan security updates for a couple of years.

As of this writing, the problem with macOS isn’t so much with its software—it’s the hardware. Consider the following:

- Almost all of the Macs Apple sells today use one-to-three-year-old components inside three-to-five-year-old designs
- Even a declining iPhone makes six or seven times more money for Apple than the Mac does
- Apple is aggressively pushing the iPad as “the future of computing” with new tablet screen sizes and designs
- Mac hardware hasn’t been so much as mentioned onstage at an Apple event in a year and a half, not since the introduction of the original MacBook. Updates have come quietly between events, and it looks like any new hardware we get this year will be released the same way
- Sierra’s versions of Messages and Siri aren’t as capable as their iOS counterparts—even when the Mac and iOS get new features at the same time, iOS comes first
- The PC is in decline, though the lineup still earns Apple billions of dollars a year and its sales are shrinking at a slower rate than the rest of the PC industry (up until a year or two ago, in fact, they weren’t shrinking at all).

Those facts paint a clear picture: The Mac isn’t as central to Apple’s future as it once was. Pushing new businesses like the Apple TV and the Apple Watch, as relatively uncertain as those ventures are, is a smarter move than dumping money into a stable-but-declining platform.

But.

At the turn of the decade, Apple was still pushing the Mac forward even as it aggressively improved the iPhone and introduced the iPad. Between 2010 and 2013, we got the revamped MacBook Air design that served as the template for practically every thin-and-light laptop made in the last five years; both Retina MacBook Pros, which kicked off a push toward high-quality, high-density displays in high-end laptops; thinner and lighter iMacs with significantly improved fans and cooling; and a brand-new Mac Pro which at least had the benefit of being a unique and fascinating design even if the pros it was marketed to didn’t love its compromises (the fact that Apple is selling the exact same Mac Pro with absolutely no updates, aftermarket upgrade options, or price cuts three years later ultimately proved the skeptics right).

That’s not to totally discount the Retina iMac (2014 and 2015) and the new MacBook (2015), but the rate of change has obviously slowed. Apple isn’t even giving us “boring” workaday component refreshes to keep up with new CPUs and GPUs as they’re released. You could argue that year-over-year improvements in PC CPUs and GPUs have become so minor that it doesn’t make a huge practical difference, but that’s no excuse not to give Mac buyers the newest and best their money can buy. Especially not when that’s exactly the brand reputation that Apple has been cultivating over most of the last two decades.

Sierra is fine software, but after a couple years of parity, it again feels as though it’s taking a backseat to iOS, primarily because of its half-hearted implementations of major new iOS features like Messages and Siri. The Mac is still a fundamentally stable, solid, usable platform, but its hardware is no longer running circles around the rest of the PC industry. Apple could be doing more—let's hope some of these long-rumored refreshes arrive sooner rather than later.

tomierna (Admin) – September 23, 2016 01:36PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
I updated my Late 2011 17" MBP, the last 17" produced by Apple.

I'm holding off on upgrading to a retina machine until there are Apple-OEM 2TB drives.

The retina screens more than make up for the real-estate of a 17", but I have two 1TB SSDs in the 17", and I don't want a storage downgrade.

Specifically, the card I bought: BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX

After installation (which is fiddly because the card is so tiny, and under EFI tape), you need to enable Continuity by using this tool: https://github.com/dokterdok/Continuity-Activation-Tool

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login