Spork Boards

MacOS X a dog or just in need of a good bitch slap?

Dr Phred's Avatar Picture Dr Phred (Moderator) – December 10, 2007 03:05PM Reply Quote
Can't keep a good topic down....

owned by the mothership.

bahamut – February 16, 2008 10:00AM Reply Quote
so wtf is going on here? all of these news stories ( http://www.mariasguides.com/2008/02/14/mac-os-x-1052-adds-dvd-or-cd-sharing/ ) say that 10.5.2 adds disk sharing for any mac. yes, i can see it does. but i want to borrow my 10.5.2 mini's dvd drive for my optical driveless mbp. i put in a cd but i don't see it appear on my desktop. how is this supposed to work? eh? there's no documentation i can finde.

Dr Phred (Moderator) – February 16, 2008 10:56AM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
bad articles. Apparently the sharing only works to connect to a Macbook Air.

El Jeffe – February 16, 2008 11:24AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
what is or was that freeware sharing software? I used to use it a long time ago. Share or points or something.

This looks like what I used to use.

http://www.hornware.com/sharepoints

Is that what you're looking for?

What a journey.

Cloudscout – February 16, 2008 11:56AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Leopard lets you customize your shared directories without third party tools now.

El Jeffe – February 16, 2008 01:23PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I know, but I thought if it was buggy, that might still be viable.

What a journey.

El Jeffe – February 16, 2008 01:42PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I'm just now finding/exploring and enjoying the ability to capture web page 'parts' into the dashboard. Now, one downside, I snapped a shot of a streaming audio link at the BBC, but it only plays when dashboard widgets are up/visible. Anyway to make the dashboard thingies persistent, on the desktop let's say, and toggle them present/hidden?

What a journey.

bahamut – February 16, 2008 11:25PM Reply Quote
An Apple genius once told me that it was a bad idea to use the dashboard since it slowed down macs too much. He suggested avoiding installing any widgets and deactivating any that are curretly enabled.

El Jeffe – February 16, 2008 11:37PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
that's just brilliant. don't use a major 'selling' point, eh?

WAIT!

Okay, I just happened to peek behind the widget of the audio clip. It actually has a checkbox to play audio ONLY in dashboard (or not). Hey, it works now. My bad.

What a journey.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2008 11:40PM by El Jeffe.

Cloudscout – February 17, 2008 06:20PM Reply Quote
Wonderful.

I guess my video card just isn't compatible with Leopard... and since I didn't discover the problem until after the warranty was up on my machine, I have to pay for a new card.

I hate you, Steve.

Madaracs – February 18, 2008 04:52PM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
Cloudscout
I hate you, Steve.

Yeah, me too! Steve!

Dr. Strangelove – February 19, 2008 12:57PM Reply Quote
baha, there's an ongoing thread on the TidBITS Talk mailing list called "beachballitis" where people are discussing problems similar to yours. Someone posted this today:

I've found the two big causes of BeachBallitis for me have been that it's dwindling free space on my startup drive, which doesn't sound like a problem in your case, or, a few times, it was a disguised case of TooManyFontitis.

How many fonts do you have installed? I had hundreds installed and couldn't figure out why my machine was running so slow; disabling all but the essential fonts solved my problem.

I seem to recall you have lots of fonts installed? Maybe that's part of what's going on.

Madaracs – February 20, 2008 08:01PM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
The last update for my Mac caused it to hang for about 1 minute 30 with no movement from the little progress wheel. It finally completed but it was a bit scary.

El Jeffe – February 20, 2008 08:12PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I'm still amazed at what my kids' G3 gumdrops can do. I just updated Tiger again tonight on one of them. Not bad for such old systems.

What a journey.

El Jeffe – February 22, 2008 11:47AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Sophos (antivirus) podcast concerning Mac OS X vulnerabilities.

http://podcasts.sophos.com/en/sophos-podcasts-026.mp3

Comments? This guy sounds like he's crying wolf. No proof of anything.

What a journey.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2008 11:48AM by El Jeffe.

bahamut – February 22, 2008 09:49PM Reply Quote
thanks for the tidbits talk link although i have 30gb available and not that many fonts...

going to get a new drive tomorrow and see how it goes.

Cloudscout – March 01, 2008 11:30PM Reply Quote
Interesting. You can hook up an external USB drive to a Time Capsule box and use it for backup.

Still can't back up to a USB drive on an AirPort Extreme, though.

ddt – March 02, 2008 12:21AM Reply Quote
can you designate the internal TC drive for backing up one computer, and the attached USB drive for backing another computer on the same network?

dd

bahamut – March 02, 2008 08:08AM Reply Quote
http://db.tidbits.com/article/9479

time capsule can be backed up, so that helps a l'il.

johnny k – March 03, 2008 11:40AM Reply Quote
ddt, I would say almost certainly, as it's something that each client chooses. When you select a backup volume from the Time Machine preference panel, it recognizes the Time Capsule, and then you choose a drive under it.

Baha, yeah, since it just keeps backups in normal browseable folders, doesn't seem a big deal to just copy over to another drive. Though if it's over the network, it's slooow... would be nice if you could designate an attached drive as a backup-backup that it automatically dumps to (with full USB2.0 speed) every so often, or whenever it's attached. Or am I asking for a mirrored RAID 1?

Simon – March 06, 2008 07:54PM Reply Quote
Now that apple has bit the bullet and licensed activesync, do you think they will roll that functionality into the full mac os x versions of those apps? I think it would be a smart thing to do and will definitely give them a boost in the enterprise market.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login