Spork Boards

MacOS X a dog or just in need of a good bitch slap?

Dr Phred's Avatar Picture Dr Phred (Moderator) – December 10, 2007 03:05PM Reply Quote
Can't keep a good topic down....

owned by the mothership.

bahamut – February 13, 2008 10:22AM Reply Quote
looks like it's gone already. i checked, but i couldn't figure it out.

Madaracs – February 13, 2008 01:43PM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
bahamut
I keep losing 20gb of hard drive space. I'm thinking it's 10.5.2

No issues with space here.

Cloudscout – February 13, 2008 03:30PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Madaracs
No issues with space here.

Plenty of it between your ears!

(Thank you, folks! I'll be here all week!)

bahamut – February 14, 2008 10:05AM Reply Quote
Ok, what the hell is going on with my laptop? I'm getting whirring fans, massive slowdowns, beach balls, the whole shebang. This was in play before 10.5.2. It started sometime last week. If I look at activity monitor, nothing. There's the usual insanely long list of apps, but none of them are off the chart with cycles. So why am I having this happen? My bet is that there's a shitass driver from HP or something like that installed. Are there hidden processes that don't show up in activity monitor? What should I look for? My console debugging skills suck these days.

Dr. Strangelove – February 14, 2008 12:29PM Reply Quote
I can't explain the fans, but when I started having this on my desktop, it turned out to be due to an external drive that was dying. I was having random slowdowns/stalling/beachballing without any apparent increase in CPU cycles. In my case I was able to isolate it to the drive because things cleared up instantly as soon as I powered down the drive. I'm still waiting on one of those external plug-in SATA thingies as a replacement, but I finally shut of the drive for good this morning because it had started making a large clacking sound. So a dying hard drive is one possibility.

stan adams – February 14, 2008 04:22PM Reply Quote
Dr. SL beat me to it -- in a general sense "generic system sluggishness" is almost always traced back to file operations and/or network (in a VERY general sense networks and filesystems have remarkably similarities in todays usage...)

netstat can help determine what "quasi local" communication your machine is attempting to make / has established.

bahamut – February 14, 2008 06:23PM Reply Quote
ok, let's say it's the laptop's hard drive. how can i find out? smart status in disk utility says it is verified.

Dr. Strangelove – February 14, 2008 07:51PM Reply Quote
I dunno, that's a tough one. I couldn't check the smart status of my drive because it's not supported on external drives and I couldn't find a Mac old enough to take an ATA drive.

Do you have a spare external drive that you could boot off of? If you cloned your drive to an external, ran off the clone with the internal drive unmounted, and the problems went away, that might tell you something.

Oh, and I got my wiebetech enclosure today. Now I just need drives for it.

bahamut – February 14, 2008 10:39PM Reply Quote
did you get the new one, without the tray? the fan sucks. you need to open up the back and pull out the pins (opposite side). all the world of difference.

bahamut – February 15, 2008 08:56AM Reply Quote
according to macintouch readers the problem i am having with my system may be caused by pathfinder. :(

Dr. Strangelove – February 15, 2008 09:15AM Reply Quote
I dunno, it's the RTX 2-bay model. It's still in it's plastic wrapper.

El Jeffe – February 15, 2008 10:55AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
A Toyota 4x4 is causing your Mac problems?

What a journey.

bahamut – February 15, 2008 11:10AM Reply Quote
great idea, but the one bay fan howls. it's louder than my g5. there are some nice heat sinks in there and since i use the drive for time machine, i figured it would be ok to disconnect the fan, so i did.

Madaracs – February 15, 2008 02:41PM Reply Quote
El Jeffe
A Toyota 4x4 is causing your Mac problems?

The battery is out in his Stomper.

Mighty Mouse – February 15, 2008 06:49PM Reply Quote
*Ahem*

The pathfinder is a Nissan, not a Toyota.

Toyota doesn't make ALL of the foreign cars, regardless of what some might think. : /

That is all.

We now return you to your regular drivel.

El Jeffe – February 15, 2008 07:25PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Oh, so Datsun is a division or wholly owned subsidiary?

What about the Daihatsus that are running all around?

Trust me, you'll never have to correct me on car stuff.

What a journey.

Mokers (Moderator) – February 15, 2008 07:37PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Datsun hasn't existed in a long time. Nissan's largest owner is Renault (45%), although Nissan owes 15% of Renault as well. Technially, Datsun was never really a company, just a brand attached to cars made by Nissan (and previously Datson Motors).

Daihatsu is 51% owned by Toyota.

Madaracs – February 15, 2008 07:42PM Reply Quote
El Jeffe
Oh, so Datsun is a division or wholly owned subsidiary?

What about the Daihatsus that are running all around?

Trust me, you'll never have to correct me on car stuff.

That's a Scion and they're made by Toyota. Same chassis as a Corolla.

El Jeffe – February 15, 2008 07:51PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I know it's a scion made by daihatsu. But most people don't realize it's made at a Daihatsu plant.

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/car/112_0801_2008_car_of_the_year_finalists/scion_xb.html

Bet you didn't know: The xB isn't built by Toyota at all but comes from a Daihatsu plant.

I'm saying that I am comfortable in my knowledge of the auto industry the toyota joke above. Hell, we have more toyota plants HERE than you guys in other states. Toyotas made at Subaru's plant, down in Evansville, and across the river in Georgetown. Plus, Honda coming online here as we speak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Motor_Manufacturing_Indiana
http://www.toyota.com/about/our_business/operations/manufacturing/tmmi/
http://www.toyota.com/about/our_business/operations/manufacturing/subaru/index.html

What a journey.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2008 08:00PM by El Jeffe.

El Jeffe – February 15, 2008 08:16PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
My cousin is the plant tour guide type manager for Toyota Georgetown. Billy Wise ( http://www.professionalgeologist.org/Diversions2005.htm ) [although from googling, I had no idea his brother worked there AND died last year, too]

He's the former State Commissioner of Athletics for Kentucky. One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. A very proper "yessir, yesmaam" family. His granddaughter was Dakota Fanning's stand-in for the movie Dreamer in 2005, shot in Lexington. ( http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/contributor/1809683148 )They said Kurt Russell was very nice.

She looks so much like her mom when she was young; my closest cousin in that family.

I remember them taking my parents to Rick Pitino's house once. They all came up and they and my family got to meet the VPofUSA in my little hometown, for the opening of our BB hall of fame. (coincidentally, on the same block Barbara Bush spoke at MY church once. AND, that same church is where I was at a dinner with the THEN CEO of AT&T Bob Allen, who my mom babysat for his family. This was ONE day before he fired the first, big wave of 40,000. I keep my pic of me and him right by me.]

Their son made news once when he was reffing an NFL game and got plastered by some play that went out of bounds, taking him off his feet. He is a Babe Ruth hall of famer, too.

Nice tour video: http://www.toyotageorgetown.com/tourvid.asp

What a journey.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2008 08:23PM by El Jeffe.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login