Spork Boards

MacOS X a dog or just in need of a good bitch slap?

Dr Phred's Avatar Picture Dr Phred (Moderator) – December 10, 2007 03:05PM Reply Quote
Can't keep a good topic down....

owned by the mothership.

stan adams – February 04, 2008 03:49PM Reply Quote
No offense meant but when I was still in college I remember working for the department lab and when I told my 'boss', a senior or maybe grad student, that everything except for networking was working fine on the HP-UX box I had to setup his reply was "The ONLY thing we NEED is networking." Maybe Apple will shift their business model to charging $500 or so for Apple branded/certified NICs...

bahamut – February 04, 2008 04:58PM Reply Quote
I'm having problems with the Windows side of my wife's Macbook. For some reason it doesn't browse her company's domains properly when hooked to the VPN. No clue why.

stan adams – February 04, 2008 05:33PM Reply Quote
VPN software generally does some non-standard things to the IP stack. Each of the various VPN client implementations that I've encountered either deliberately or unintentionally throws monkey wrenches from minor to major in "standard" networking.

Additionally the "logon profile" is sort of screwy with mapping out which clients are supported. I know that when I was using the Nokia and Cisco VPN clients the network administrator could set me up as either a Mac client that could access the various shared devices or as a Windows user (via Parallels) but not BOTH...

Bottom line: network and/or security at the wife's office need to feel some love to make her machine do what she needs. Client side alone won't cut it.

tliet – February 05, 2008 03:56AM Reply Quote
Stan, the networking bit was the reason why I had to reinstall Windows again. That made it totally unusable, I might have put with no accelerated video, but that was working just fine. In fact, everything just worked, apart from the networking.

But it really got me thinking. The conventional wisdom has always been that Apple is a hardware company and won't be able to put up with the configuration hell that is a 'PC'.

I remember how negative I was when Apple announced they were switching to Intel and indeed, the Mac is dead, long live the Mac. It seems now thought, that with the newer generation of Intel based machines and the removal of most legacy interfaces (parallel, serial, joystick ports etc.) the hardware is much more stable.

Cloudscout – February 11, 2008 04:58PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Looks like 10.5.2 is out. Go get it, kids!

Cloudscout – February 11, 2008 06:31PM Reply Quote
Installed just fine on my MacBook Pro... and after that installed, another update was available "Leopard Graphics Update".

I'm hoping the graphics update fixes that nagging problem on my Mac Pro but I won't know for a little while since my first attempt at installing 10.5.2 failed with a useless error. I'm trying it again now so we'll see.

Cloudscout – February 11, 2008 06:58PM Reply Quote
Nope. Graphics Update didn't fix the problems on my Mac Pro. Oh well. Time to bring it in for repair.

Cloudscout – February 11, 2008 07:53PM Reply Quote
Or maybe not. I decided to do some more troubleshooting. I think the problem is caused by a bad hard drive.

I have four SATA drives in my Mac Pro. If I take one of them out, I can't make the glitches appear. If I put it back in, the glitches appear frequently.

It seems like it might be a power draw issue. Like the bad drive is sucking too much juice which is messing with the supply for the video card.

Cloudscout – February 11, 2008 08:28PM Reply Quote
Grr. No such luck. Glitch has reappeared without the fourth drive in the machine.

Cloudscout – February 11, 2008 11:36PM Reply Quote
I guess I'll just hog this forum tonight.

I spent an hour on the phone with Apple support and now I guess I have to bring it in to the Apple Store to have it looked at. I've done enough reading to know that it's a hardware problem inherent in the first rev of the X1900 card (there are countless threads on the subject complete with screenshots showing the exact problem). The problem is, this thing is out of warranty. What is a replacement going to set me back? Given the fact that the flaw is so widespread, I would think that Apple should cover it even though it's out of warranty but who knows.

In other news, I'm quite happy with the way they fixed PilesStacks. Best of both worlds. And I'm happy to be able to get rid of the translucent menu bar, too... although I can't figure out why they wouldn't have put the option under the "Appearance" pref panel. Why the hell did they put it under the Desktop/Screensaver panel? Took me forever to find it.

Mighty Mouse – February 12, 2008 12:05AM Reply Quote
CS

Sent you a PM.

MM

ghidorah – February 12, 2008 02:16AM Reply Quote
Raise taxes on cavemen. --jw
Hmmm 10.5.2 is looking quite nice. It might be begin cleaning out the clutter in anticipation of an upgrade.

bahamut – February 12, 2008 07:31AM Reply Quote
Seems a bit better.

Jeff Cooper – February 12, 2008 07:35AM Reply Quote
Same here. My MBP (still running Tiger) has four years of accumulated crap on it, most of it transferred over from my old Powerbook. If the early reports on 10.5.2 hold up, I think it'll be time for a fresh start.

Simon – February 12, 2008 07:57AM Reply Quote
Yeah, it sounds like it might be time to install leopard.

bahamut – February 12, 2008 08:29AM Reply Quote
Oh good God, 10.4! No way, no way... 10.5 may have its problems but it's so much better... Run, run from 10.4. I guess it's better than 10.3. I was on a web site yesterday that said even the Ice Weasel fears 10.3.

ghidorah – February 12, 2008 11:38AM Reply Quote
Raise taxes on cavemen. --jw
I've got to admit, I'm salivating at the thought of wireless backups through Time Capsule

ddt – February 12, 2008 01:15PM Reply Quote
let me know how that goes, robb. really interested in that, too.

ddt

bahamut – February 12, 2008 08:26PM Reply Quote
I keep losing 20gb of hard drive space. I'm thinking it's 10.5.2

Dr Phred (Moderator) – February 13, 2008 08:00AM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
check your logs.

I've been running 10.5.2 for at least a month on more than one system and haven't seen that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login