Spork Boards

MacOS X a dog or just in need of a good bitch slap?

Dr Phred's Avatar Picture Dr Phred (Moderator) – December 10, 2007 03:05PM Reply Quote
Can't keep a good topic down....

owned by the mothership.

johnny k – June 19, 2018 02:47PM Reply Quote
Did they have anything to fix Photos uploading at full bandwidth to iCloud at all times of day? Or Spotlight indexing, etc etc. Always seem to have something eating up kernel CPU.

ARL (Moderator) – July 21, 2018 12:26AM Reply Quote
Okay, against my better judgement I'm thinking of upgrading from El Capitan to High Sierra.

I have a SSD as my boot drive now so what do I need to do to make sure that doesn't go tits up?

Any major apps that no longer work? All this APFS voodoo is giving me the willies...

Should I just go to Sierra and play it safe?

El Jeffe – July 21, 2018 08:16AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I have been pleasantly surprised how smooth it's gone. I volunTOLD (HEHE) my wife to go first. :)
When she had no real issues, I jumped in with my other Macs.
My one issue, and not sure it's related, it stuff like disk app/utils. DROBO seemed wonky but has settled down in last month.
Other external drives with their own apps/utils need to catch up.
Always good to have an updated DiskWarrior license/app, imo.
But, all in all, it's been good.

John Willoughby – July 21, 2018 06:30PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I didn't really have any trouble with APFS/High Sierra. Of course, all I do on a Mac these days are my finances, email, and Messages.

ARL (Moderator) – July 22, 2018 06:40AM Reply Quote
You both had SSDs?

El Jeffe – July 22, 2018 09:16AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Yes. SSDs on many Macs

John Willoughby – July 22, 2018 02:38PM Reply Quote
Mine is a MacBook Pro 2012 that I upgraded to a 1TB SSD a few years ago.

John Willoughby – August 01, 2018 03:00PM Reply Quote
I think that the canary in the coal mine for macOS will be if XCode (or an analog) is rolled out on iOS or Windows. Once that happens, you'll know that macOS's days are numbered.

El Jeffe – September 19, 2018 04:27AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Damn. Safari update killed my reload all tabs extension. Know of another/way?

https://armandopg.me/post/reload-all-tabs/

Roger – September 19, 2018 11:57AM Reply Quote
They really did a terrible job announcing that Safari 12 was going to KILL ALL OUR EXTENSIONS.

Roger – September 19, 2018 02:18PM Reply Quote
Seriously, look at this. I even read the release notes before I upgraded and I didn't see that this was going to be a big deal. It's relegated to bullet points 7 and 8 out of 9 in the release notes and there's no discussion anywhere official of the magic trick to turn them back on. This should absolutely have been an all-caps WARNING: THIS UPDATE WILL DISABLE ALL LEGACY SAFARI EXTENSIONS at the top of the release notes.

ddt – September 19, 2018 02:39PM Reply Quote
I guess another question is: why didn't Apple work with the extension developers to update them? They do what with developers of apps in the App Store -- oh... STORE.

ddt

El Jeffe – September 19, 2018 03:12PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
bad omen for Mojave in general, I wonder.

John Willoughby – September 19, 2018 04:17PM Reply Quote
Are you sure that you aren't able to re-enable them in the Extensions panel of the Safari preferences? I was able to turn AdBlock back on that way, after Safari 12 told me that I couldn't have it.

El Jeffe – September 19, 2018 04:31PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Yes, I could turn on, but NOT the reload all tabs one.

dharlow – September 19, 2018 05:01PM Reply Quote
Installed Mojave on my laptop as a test, lots of random crashes where apps just stop seeing the network and won't quit. Every single time I start up it says it shut down because of a crash, would you like to reopen the apps.

Going to try a clean install but not good at all.

Roger – September 19, 2018 06:09PM Reply Quote
John Willoughby
Are you sure that you aren't able to re-enable them in the Extensions panel of the Safari preferences?

Worked for me with AdBlock but none of the others I lost with the update. The rest just don't appear there anymore (presumably unless I did the Extension Builder magic trick in the article I linked, which I am probably not bothering to do).

El Jeffe – September 26, 2018 04:08AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Is this new? Safari > Prefs > websites?

I LIKE IT very much

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login