Spork Boards

MacOS X a dog or just in need of a good bitch slap?

Dr Phred's Avatar Picture Dr Phred (Moderator) – December 10, 2007 03:05PM Reply Quote
Can't keep a good topic down....

owned by the mothership.

bahamut – July 29, 2011 09:25AM Reply Quote
I know we've said it before, but I'm going to say it again.

The loss of Rosetta is a pretty big deal when you think about it.

Don't many DOS programs still run under Windows 7?

Meanwhile Apple has lost the ability not only to run Classic, in other words any program created before OS X but now any program written before 2006 and many written before 2007.

Isn't this a bit of a problem folks?

johnny k – July 29, 2011 10:50AM Reply Quote
If there wasn't such a hard line, fewer developers would rewrite apps to stay modern (cough, Adobe) and it would drag the OS down. Apple seems to have found the right balance with developers now.

John Willoughby – July 29, 2011 01:14PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Printing from Lion blows for me. Trying to print physical copies of travel documents; Safari prints just freeze; saving to PDF and printing from Preview is better, but ultimately freezes too. New drivers in Lion? Funky networking? Safari 5.1 Evil? No idea. But it blows.

Mokers (Moderator) – July 29, 2011 02:07PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Actually, there are a lot of Windows XP programs that run for shit in Windows 7 and Windows XP mode is not much better. And that is if you have the 32bit version. If you have 64bit Win 7, VMware is where it's at.

John Willoughby – July 29, 2011 07:33PM Reply Quote
John Willoughby
Printing from Lion blows for me. Trying to print physical copies of travel documents; Safari prints just freeze; saving to PDF and printing from Preview is better, but ultimately freezes too. New drivers in Lion? Funky networking? Safari 5.1 Evil? No idea. But it blows.

Sent all my PDF's to my wife's Mac and they printed fine from there. Definitely a Lion issue.

ARL (Moderator) – July 29, 2011 08:27PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Snow Leopard forever!

Aside from the "if you buy a new mac it will only run Lion" factor - is there any compelling must-have feature that Lion actually has?

John Willoughby – July 29, 2011 09:36PM Reply Quote
It's actually much more secure. That was what tipped me over the fence into upgrading.

ARL (Moderator) – July 30, 2011 06:44PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Hmmm... Is Snow Leopard un-secure?

(may well be insecure but that's another story...)

John Willoughby – July 31, 2011 01:04PM Reply Quote
Snow Leopard partially implemented the loading of system code into different memory locations, making it harder for malware to attack. Important chunks of system code remained in fixed positions, though, and remained vulnerable. Lion loads all of the system code into varying locations, rendering it much more secure. In addition, applications can now designate processes with certain permissions so that, for example, your Safari PDF renderer cannot perform any task outside of its granted permissions. This is huge.

Mokers (Moderator) – July 31, 2011 05:02PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
The built in whole disk encryption is magnitudes better than what you have in previous versions

El Jeffe – July 31, 2011 05:14PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
hard disk ... magNETudes better ? LOL

John Willoughby – July 31, 2011 09:07PM Reply Quote
Good point, Mokers.

Simon – August 01, 2011 11:08PM Reply Quote
Theres some details about the acessibility improvements in Lion here:
http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/201107/accessibility_in_mac_os_x_107_lion/

John Siracusas review and podcast cover a lot of the details about the new features as well.

tliet – August 03, 2011 02:46PM Reply Quote
Lion is a different beast...

Bought a used (but very nice) MacBook Pro 15 early 2008 for cheap for my wife and it's running Lion beautifully. I would need some adjustment if I'm going to use this on my main production system though.

John Willoughby – August 03, 2011 03:24PM Reply Quote

bahamut – August 04, 2011 08:14AM Reply Quote
Oh that would be dandy. So all of 2011's Mac software would be dead by what, 2015 at the latest? We would lose Boot Camp, Fusion, and Parallels? We would be tied to another questionable processor that could not keep up with Intel and have to endure jokes about how the Mac is a glorified iPhone.

Well, I guess… that crap sandwich sounds great to me. BOHICA!

Cloudscout – August 04, 2011 12:12PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Keep in mind, Microsoft has been demoing Windows 8 on the ARM platform as well. There could be something to this.

tliet – August 04, 2011 03:30PM Reply Quote
"So all of 2011's Mac software would be dead by what, 2015 at the latest?"

Well, all of 2006 era software is now completely dead, so it wouldn't surprise me. After all, the chimney has to keep smoking.

bahamut – August 04, 2011 03:57PM Reply Quote

ARL (Moderator) – August 04, 2011 08:48PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
bahamut
Oh that would be dandy. So all of 2011's Mac software would be dead by what, 2015 at the latest? We would lose Boot Camp, Fusion, and Parallels? We would be tied to another questionable processor that could not keep up with Intel and have to endure jokes about how the Mac is a glorified iPhone.

Well, I guess… that crap sandwich sounds great to me. BOHICA!

Amen.

Unless the A6 or whatever it's called does seamless emulation at near native speeds - what the hell is the point?

It's an unnecessary forced march. If I was a software vendor I'd seriously consider abandoning support for Macs altogether. There's more money to be made supporting x86 and Windows.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login