Spork Boards

maxi pad

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – January 25, 2010 07:45PM Reply Quote
Well, yes, you know. We all need them some times.

John Willoughby – July 08, 2011 11:59AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
The only thing that gets me is the lack of jumping. It's wrong to be stymied by a knee-high barrier. But I still love it.

johnny k – July 22, 2011 01:09PM Reply Quote
I have an iPad 2 that I'm restoring from another iPad's backup. The old one will continue to be in use; I just wanted to use it as a starting point for the new one. Anyone have experience with this? Specifically, I want to be sure I can give the new one its own name/identity after the initial restore so that iTunes will not confuse the two iPads' backups as they diverge.

Simon – July 25, 2011 08:00PM Reply Quote
You can easily rename the iPad in iTunes. After that iTunes will identify it by the new name.

ddt – August 03, 2011 11:16AM Reply Quote
Damnit, things like Omni group's work and New Yorker are starting to make me want an iPad after all (though I'll wait for the next rev) -- and then there's this: http://www.asdegree.org/20-incredibly-entertaining-ipad-apps-for-science-nuts/

Please remind me, should I find the money and will for another digital thing to have to look after, of that list.

ddt

johnny k – August 18, 2011 12:53AM Reply Quote
Is it as simple as it was unfinished when released, that it's a second-rate iPad? I want to think that HP hasn't put much marketing muscle behind it. Really, almost none. Then again, other than the Xoom, I haven't seen any ads for Android tablets either. Then again, I haven't turned the TV on since the season finale of Parks and Recreation.

John Willoughby – August 18, 2011 02:20PM Reply Quote

tliet – August 18, 2011 03:23PM Reply Quote
Dunno what HP is up to these days. A few years ago I had to design and build the infrastructure for a .NET based web application. For the file and MS SQL Server clusters I selected Polyserve which was then just acquired by HP. Polyserve is a wonderful product with a loyal following, but HP dropped the ball severely on it. It started with less and less updates, then suddenly, a new version came out with the release notes mentioning that it would be the final release.

Customers who had a strategy built around Polyserve (it's possible to build 16 node Windows clusters with the product) were not pleased. The release note was replaced with different wording, but a few weeks ago, final word came out. It's dead.

The developers probably fled the company.

John Willoughby – August 18, 2011 03:29PM Reply Quote
I don't think that a lot of suits understand that, when you've lost the developers of a product, you've probably lost the product. How often have we seen an acquisition followed by engineering talent flight, followed by a stagnating product followed by ignominious death?

tliet – August 19, 2011 10:05AM Reply Quote
Developers, System Administrators, Help desk staff. They have one thing in common; not management.

This means it's all commodity work where people are replaceable.

I know it, as I'm basically making this mistake myself or perhaps, am forced to share this group-think.

Cloudscout – August 21, 2011 12:11AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Posting this from an HP TouchPad. The fire sale prices today were too good to pass up.

Cloudscout – August 21, 2011 01:03AM Reply Quote
It's interesting. It's sad that this is now a dead technology. There are a bunch of interesting UI concepts.

Unfortunately, there are enough shortcomings to offset the positives. There is an Android port in the works, though.

El Jeffe – August 21, 2011 07:28AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Did you get one of the $100-$150?

Cloudscout – August 21, 2011 12:46PM Reply Quote
Yes. I ended up getting a few of them. I have a 32GB for myself. I picked up a 16GB for a friend and another 16GB for my mom for Christmas. My GF picked up a 16GB for her brother... maybe, unless she decides to keep it for herself. Heh.

It's a bargain even if you just use it as an e-reader. It's cheaper than a Kindle and comes with the Kindle app pre-installed.

tomierna (Admin) – August 21, 2011 02:03PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
I read that Best Buy wasn't going to fire sale them. Are they selling them today?

John Willoughby – August 21, 2011 02:32PM Reply Quote
Apparently, Best Buy reversed their position in the afternoon and started selling them again.

tomierna (Admin) – August 21, 2011 04:33PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Dammit. I missed out completely.

Cloudscout – August 21, 2011 05:05PM Reply Quote
Hurry and you can get them here still:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056UOUHS

El Jeffe – August 21, 2011 05:57PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
tempting

Cloudscout – August 21, 2011 06:13PM Reply Quote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login