Spork Boards

iBox (the hardware)

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – January 14, 2008 03:08PM Reply Quote
iBox
Box mini
Box Pro
BoxBook
BoxBook Pro

The more the boxes change, the more they stay the same... or don't.

(talk about the hardware here)

James DeBenedetti – October 28, 2016 04:47PM Reply Quote
Glad I'm no longer in the market for an Apple monitor.

I look forward to the day when PC video cards have more RAM than Apple's "Pro" machines.

John Willoughby – October 28, 2016 04:52PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
James DeBenedetti
I look forward to the day when PC video cards have more RAM than Apple's "Pro" machines.

Which is why Apple is feverishly working on a version of macOS that can be implemented as a shader on Windows or Linux.

johnny k – October 28, 2016 05:54PM Reply Quote
I thought Apple's building that server farm so that if you want a macOS session, you just dial into a hosted virtual machine on your iOS device. ARD rides again!

ddt – October 29, 2016 12:07AM Reply Quote
Prior art for the next Ive design -- the SmarTerminal

adm3a.jpg

ddt

El Jeffe – October 29, 2016 06:49AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Son's laptop case is splitting apart. Lenovo has laptops with xeon's in them for IIRC $1700.

John Willoughby – October 31, 2016 08:08PM Reply Quote
Looks like the Pro Mac users are breaking out the pitchforks and torches.

John Gruber's comment: Dozens and dozens of links here. Rather astounding how much backlash last week’s event has generated. I can’t recall an Apple event that generated such a negative reaction from hard-core Mac users.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2016 08:12PM by John Willoughby.

ARL (Moderator) – October 31, 2016 09:42PM Reply Quote
Here's the top hits (bold emphasis mine):

Jeff Johnson:

Apple was famous for their ecosystem integration. But out of the box you can’t plug a new iPhone into a new MacBook Pro. Absurd.

Dermont Daly:

Even Apple Support aren’t getting it.

Marco Arment:

Despite most of us not buying it for years, it’s worth noting that the last upgradeable Mac laptop went away today.

Colin Cornaby:

With an SSD capacity range of 256 gigs to 2 TBs it would still be much more reasonable if Apple added upgrades after purchase.

Peter Kirn (via Michael Yacavone):

It was really hard for me to watch Apple’s “Hello Again” event today.

Understanding history is important – to a point. But Apple’s obsessive naval gazing in the Mac event today speaks volumes. This is a company with no real vision for what its most creative users actually do with their most advanced machines. So, instead, they look into the past.

[…]

The competition is faster, and/or costs less – so those graphs turned to older Apple products and even the poor PowerBook 100 rather than compare to the PC. We didn’t even get a thinner/lighter comparison, because even that ship has sailed.

The Mac made its name because it embraced desktop publishing and graphics when the PC missed the boat. Now, it seems Apple is about to miss next-generation graphics, 3D, and virtual reality. Even if some of those are gimmicks, the fact that we live in a three-dimensional world and have two eyes suggest it’s still an important development.

Update (2016-10-28): Felix Schwarz:

Here’s how the 15" #MacBookPro 2016 component specs compare to the 2012 model.

Brian Stucki:

Reminder: The current Mac Pro page brags about the performance with Aperture, a program that Apple retired 2+ years ago.

Mark Walton:

Don’t expect to do much gaming on your shiny new MacBook Pro.

Thomas Brand:

“All MacBook Pros now use ‘onboard SSDs’ a la the MacBook” If your logic board dies your data dies with it. Backup your new MacBook people.

Owen Williams (Hacker News):

Apple spent the entire event comparing itself to its own past, rather than showing us the future, and even then painted a very clear picture: it has no idea who the Mac is for.

Jason Snell:

On stage Thursday, Schiller said that the MacBook Pro’s keyboard was a second-generation version of the MacBook keyboard and featured design changes to give it more movement feel. As someone who is not a fan of the very small amount of keyboard travel on the MacBook keyboard, I noted the phrasing. He didn’t say the keys moved more, just that they felt better.

Well, it’s my sad duty to report that the MacBook Pro keyboard has the same key travel as the MacBook. Apple says the stainless steel dome switch beneath each key has been honed to give you a more responsive feel, but to me it feels just like the MacBook’s keyboard.

Dan Frakes:

Because Apple’s website lets you compare only two laptops at a time, here’s a spreadsheet of MacBook specs.

McCloud:

I wouldn’t call the new MBP GPU options competitive with mid-range.

Joe Cieplinski:

The days of the sub $1,000 Mac are done. I thought the Air would stick around for another generation because of this price tier, but then I thought about it more carefully. Low-cost PCs make almost no sense anymore.

Adam Knight:

After watching yesterday’s Apple Event and reading around a bit at the reactions, I’ve become concerned for the future of the Mac, at least in the hands of the current leadership at Apple.

[…]

I can’t help but feel Apple has decided the core audience of their Unix-based powerhouse OS is the latte-sipping children in campus coffee shops and anything at all about their systems that appeals to anyone else is just something to be removed in the path to a sheet of paper with nothing but content. Frankly, it’s that total disconnect between what computer users want and what mobile users want that has me worried about the Mac. The source of my fear — after much contemplation — is that the same people that design the Mac are designing the iOS devices, and that’s a horrible situation for both platforms.

Glad I didn't buy AAPL the other day. They're over.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2016 09:44PM by ARL.

ghidorah – November 01, 2016 11:30AM Reply Quote
Raise taxes on cavemen. --jw
ouch.

need some advice. My iMac bit the dust the other day--powersupply?--and my wifes iMac is constantly freezing on her--bug/worm?/don'tknow. I'm thinking I could pop a OWC ssd in and speed it up, eventually running a thunderbolt raid as back up. I'm happy with the way I was able to dual-boot my daughters mini, although she has really only run windows on it. I could do the same for my wife and then just limp along until I can afford to replace my smoldering cinderblock.

My question is, what are my options out there other than a entry level Macmini? Anyone familiar with PC options?

John Willoughby – November 01, 2016 11:41AM Reply Quote
For PC laptops, I find the Wirecutter very helpful. Good section on budget laptops.

Mokers (Moderator) – November 01, 2016 01:15PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
options depend on what you need to do with the system. what are you looking for in terms of priorities? I ask because there are some good alternatives out there (chromebook, chromebox) that come in pretty cheap if you are only doing web type stuff. if you want to replace the mini, I think there are good options at ebay.

for the imac, I went through this a few years ago when i decided my iMac needed to be upgraded. I went with a Dell AIO because my wife likes PCs and you get a lot more for the money. screen isn't as nice as iMacs, but you can upgrade RAM or HD on your own...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-Inspiron-5459-6th-Gen-Core-i5-8GB-1TB-24-Touch-Full-HD-ALL-in-One-/232087918465?hash=item3609849781:g:HSMAAOSw2GlXG4sz

ghidorah – November 01, 2016 03:48PM Reply Quote
I'll look at the DELL and the chromebox--thanks Remy. Bookmarking Wirecutter John!

El Jeffe – November 01, 2016 07:27PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
sad.
really sad.

ARL (Moderator) – November 01, 2016 11:23PM Reply Quote
Thoughts on this piece?

There's a cute line:

A lot of it boils down to this concept: We demand Apple innovate, but we insist they don’t change anything.

There is some truth to that, but I'd rephrase it to "We want some new good stuff, but don't get rid of the existing good stuff, just get rid of the existing bad stuff "

(or in my case "keep everything dammit - 3.5 Floppy/Snow Leopard forever!!!')

However, I don't define innovating as "adding unwanted features, increasing margins and removing cherished functionality"

It seems that there are genuine technical reasons why the Skylake processors can't support 32GB RAM, they could have been worked around if it wasn't for Apple's obsession with thinness and battery life

Additionally, the quad-core Kaby Lake processor still having not seen the light of day has caused other problems that are being attributed to Apple, and not as having been foisted upon the company by Intel. For low power consumption, Skylake only supports LPDDR3, which is limited to 16 gigabytes.

LPDDR4 will not be supported in MacBook Pro-bound Kaby Lake quad-core processors until possibly the end of 2017, and perhaps later.

macOS isn't the limiting factor, and hasn't been for some time. While Apple chose to not implement other technologies to boost the RAM capabilities of the MacBook Pro, it chose to not do so, in the interest of a thinner machine than previous generations, and longer battery life than it would have had had it implemented non-LP RAM workarounds.

Apple's statement that other RAM choices allowing for 32 gigabytes of RAM or more would cause decreased battery life is accurate, if not quite specific.

So, enjoy that slimline industrial design while you stare at the spinning beachballs...

porruka (Admin) – November 02, 2016 09:33AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
For those who need the extra protection from party fouls... https://www.wired.com/2016/11/first-dongle-new-macbook-needs

John Willoughby – November 02, 2016 10:21AM Reply Quote
Thanks, Porruka, I may get some of those.

John Willoughby – November 02, 2016 10:27AM Reply Quote
ARL
Thoughts on this piece?

After a quick glance through, it seems to focus too much on how much better the new Macs are than their 2-year-old predecessors, and not enough on how anemic they are relative to some of their high end competition today. Also, potential future improvements are a hard-sell to people who have just lived through a long period of stagnation.

John Willoughby – November 02, 2016 10:28AM Reply Quote

ghidorah – November 02, 2016 10:53AM Reply Quote
Well put JW.

John Willoughby – November 02, 2016 10:56AM Reply Quote
porruka
For those who need the extra protection from party fouls... https://www.wired.com/2016/11/first-dongle-new-macbook-needs

I've ordered a couple of these. Warning: These are only rated for 60W of power, less than at least some of the new MacBook Pros pull (87W?). The Wired article doesn't mention this, and Griffin doesn't seem to have updated the product page since the new MacBook Pros were announced.

John Willoughby – November 02, 2016 11:06AM Reply Quote
I called Griffin. They say that these cords are good for the new, low-end MacBook Pro, but that they are testing and validating for the high-end models and hope to have a solution for those machines soon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login