Spork Boards

iBox (the hardware)

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – January 14, 2008 03:08PM Reply Quote
iBox
Box mini
Box Pro
BoxBook
BoxBook Pro

The more the boxes change, the more they stay the same... or don't.

(talk about the hardware here)

ARL (Moderator) – July 14, 2016 08:59PM Reply Quote
(From 70s to now):

IBM -> Apple -> Microsoft -> Apple 2.0 -> Something other than Apple

John Willoughby – August 26, 2016 11:44AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
So, we're very likely losing the iPhone audio jack this year, and the home button next year. Why the changes? Of course, Apple is still pursuing the thinner, ever thinner policy that they're also inflicting on Macs. Maybe getting rid of the jack and the button lets them trim another couple of millimeters of thickness. Or add another fifteen minutes in battery life, or both. Another possibility is style, of course. Jonny Ives' endless, evolving image of hardware perfection.

I'm not very happy about the (apparently) impending changes. Not as frustrated as with the MacBook Pros, but just getting frustrated at endless change without improvement. I guess that to keep selling a new phone every year, you have to keep iterating even if you don't have much new to offer.

Apple's just making me sad, these days. Nothing new that I like, losing older things that I liked.

johnny k – August 26, 2016 12:18PM Reply Quote
I think there will be a good reason not to have the headphone jack in the iPhone X next year (probably new UI around the headphones that needs data), and Apple is taking the pain now so that next year the smart headphone market will be jumpstarted and the iPhone X will be all sunshine. Why did Apple take ADB out of the iMac? USB was not yet a standard then. Wireless headphones are such a superior experience, and forcing that will probably bring more choice to the market.

I think the button change is as simple as it's a big point of failure. Plus this could improve waterproofness.

Only thing that makes me sad is the decrepitness of the Mac Pro with its old-ass GPUs.

El Jeffe – August 26, 2016 12:20PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
more element resistant? Water proof? Lint retardant. etc?

John Willoughby – August 26, 2016 05:29PM Reply Quote
El Jeffe
more element resistant? Water proof? Lint retardant. etc?

Have you felt the need for any of that? I've never had issues in any of these areas.

johnny k
I think there will be a good reason not to have the headphone jack in the iPhone X next year (probably new UI around the headphones that needs data), and Apple is taking the pain now so that next year the smart headphone market will be jumpstarted and the iPhone X will be all sunshine..

Lightning connectors? BlueTooth? Proprietary wireless? None of those make me happy, and some make me mad. I hope that you're right, but waiting for Apple to deliver the great things that are just around the corner has paled for me, as the corner keeps receding ahead of me.

El Jeffe – August 27, 2016 05:15AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
more water or high humidity sealed or proofed... sure... I see a lot of need for that. kids.

Cloudscout – August 27, 2016 08:04AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I don't understand why Amazon hasn't released a waterproof Kindle yet.

El Jeffe – August 27, 2016 09:34AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Yeah, especially given their namesake.

John Willoughby – August 27, 2016 10:26AM Reply Quote
One-breasted female warriors?

johnny k – August 27, 2016 03:23PM Reply Quote
Kindles are almost disposable - why would Amazon make them tougher? My wife used to ziplock her iPad in the bathtub, doesn't bother anymore. At least with the $50 Kindle I don't internally cringe.

Granted, her rate of destroying phones has gone way down from what it used to be. Her iPhone 5 has just now separated due to an expanding battery (probably not her fault). The self-destruct-on-new-model feature went off a little too early.

John Willoughby – August 29, 2016 09:48AM Reply Quote
Inside Apple's 2016 MacBook Pro GPU choices.

Apple will continue to make Macs, if for no other reason than to support its iOS, watchOS, and tvOS development initiatives. In the pursuit of a new and larger customer base which have different aims and goals than previous Apple purchasers, new machines may just not have the level of graphical performance that long-term Mac aficionados clamor for.

ARL (Moderator) – August 29, 2016 08:16PM Reply Quote
I feel a bit like Wobs after his "PB jelly" fiasco. MacBook Pro: never ever again...

ghidorah – September 07, 2016 07:19AM Reply Quote
Raise taxes on cavemen. --jw
hey guys--checking in ahead of todays event. Am I alone in wanting the Apple Watch to become the center of the mobile digital hub? Really have no interest in a bulky smartphone, but wireless earbuds and tethering for an ipad would be a killer combination for me. I think that might be the only way I'd pay for a data plan. Call me a Neanderthal--at least I can make fire (if I have matches).

El Jeffe – September 07, 2016 09:28AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I have been using BT earbud (Jabra BT8010 - I have FOUR), with iPod Nano 3G + Sony BT adapter, for years!
I'd like (in many/all of my Apple products) a physical click wheel ala first gen iPod; the touch surfaces require much too delicate and fine movement control for my liking. Even an Atari 2600 paddle controller (or more recently any of the NUMBER of ZF transmission knobs), would even be better for me.

I still don't like, even though I have gone/upgraded THREE TIMES in past year, the iPhone. Uses waaaaaaaaay too much battery/drain. I LOVE my iPod Touches. And would PREFER a size between Touch and iPad Mini, with OLED crystal clarity of Samsung's gorgeous displays, imo.

I still desire a PHONE/SMS only solution/device. But, do NOT want multiple account/phone numbers across all my devices. One number, multiple SIMs/devices. is what I WANT.

And as I always harp, I want larger, grippier, not slick, devices with option for user EASY replaced battery, and/or larger battery. Physical on/off switch. Physical volume/mute control.

feature wise, I want all Apple devices/OSes/Software to have built-in encryption so that all emails, payments, syncs, data-at-rest is fully encrypted.

Roger – September 07, 2016 02:06PM Reply Quote
ghidorah
Am I alone in wanting the Apple Watch to become the center of the mobile digital hub? Really have no interest in a bulky smartphone

No, you're not alone at all. The Watch is going to make a lot more sense when it is the phone (qua always-with-you communicator) and the "phone" is just a detachable, optional portable tablet interface.

ghidorah – September 07, 2016 02:40PM Reply Quote
Raise taxes on cavemen. --jw
Roger--exactly right.

John Willoughby – September 08, 2016 04:00PM Reply Quote

johnny k – September 08, 2016 04:45PM Reply Quote
Didn't realize Ive took away the headphone jack on your current phone, too. I'm sure he would if he could.

Change is hard. I'm glad that as it's gotten older, Apple isn't resistant to change like the rest of us. That way lies irrelevance, even if mistakes are made in the short term.

John Willoughby – September 08, 2016 05:20PM Reply Quote
My mistake, the PREFERRED solution is $49. And not digital.

Yeah, I feel like somebody who wants a floppy drive in their new iMac. Somebody for whom the floppy drive in their current Mac is in constant use. Somebody who will now have to spend money to get a clunky work-around because Apple is pursuing elegance.

I'm not screaming about Lightning, they included a dongle. I'm mad about not being able to charge while listening. Yeah, I can keep my iPhone 6s. I will. In a year or two things will advance and it will be no big deal.

But Apple is kind of on a down-curve as far as mindshare is going, and I don't see eliminating a common use scenario as being any help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2016 05:20PM by John Willoughby.

bahamut – September 08, 2016 05:46PM Reply Quote
That's the crux of the matter. While Apple has kinda made the right call (probably no other way to make it waterproof, is there?), it will likely cost them … 

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login