Spork Boards

iBox (the hardware)

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – January 14, 2008 03:08PM Reply Quote
iBox
Box mini
Box Pro
BoxBook
BoxBook Pro

The more the boxes change, the more they stay the same... or don't.

(talk about the hardware here)

El Jeffe – March 28, 2018 04:34PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I really feel an iPad LTE or WISH a notebook LTE would be my perfect travel companion.

James DeBenedetti – March 28, 2018 10:35PM Reply Quote
Johnny - my Apple Pencil has been collecting dust for years, but I'd probably get rid of the iPad and rely on my phone instead if it didn't have the Smart Keyboard.

El Jeffe – March 29, 2018 10:03AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
just thought... iMac --> eMac (edu).
Why did they not do iPad --> ePad (edu).

ddt – March 29, 2018 10:37AM Reply Quote
Or... eMate?

(Remember reviewing that in an SF coffeehouse.)

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – March 31, 2018 09:08PM Reply Quote
I quite liked the eMates.

Roger – April 02, 2018 07:43PM Reply Quote
jfc, the Space Gray keyboards actually cost more. Return of the Black Tax!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2018 07:43PM by Roger.

John Willoughby – April 06, 2018 12:29PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Mac Pro not coming until 2019. I am really surprised that a company with Apple's resources could not do better than this. Or chose not to do better than this.

Cloudscout – April 06, 2018 05:40PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Do you suppose a new Mac based on their own chips would make the leap to full walled-garden? Only App Store apps allowed?

John Willoughby – April 06, 2018 07:38PM Reply Quote
I think that's Apple's dream. I don't know if they can push developers into it, though.

El Jeffe – April 06, 2018 08:31PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Cloudscout
Do you suppose a new Mac based on their own chips would make the leap to full walled-garden? Only App Store apps allowed?

NO.

Also, I think Apple will need to go to an OPT-IN model to be able to deliver more integrated services, in effect tearing down the wall. They hired the google AI guy, and I can't see how they can do it, withOUT opening up more. This does NOT mean "Sell our private data" to everyone, though.

Roger – April 25, 2018 04:05PM Reply Quote
Keyboardgate continues as MBPs go on deeper sale. Apple remains silent on the issue so far.

John Willoughby – May 22, 2018 10:50AM Reply Quote
Razer has a new Mac-compatible eGPU box. Looks nice.

They also introduced a new 15.6" Razer Blade laptop. That may end up being the sweet spot for me, not that I can afford to get it for a year or two. I think that I've decided that I don't need 4K on a small screen, and would rather have 1080p driven faster.

My Razer Blades, review recap:

My Razer Blade Pro at 17" with GTX 1080 mini-re-review: Too damn big for comfort, 4K screen often needs to be down-rezed for games, keyboard annoying chiclet, white dust patches quickly appear around ventilation intakes, the usual indifferent Windows trackpad, good audio, good reliability, bright and clear screen, will try to pull more power than its adapter will provide and immediately shut down when it doesn't get it. This means that some games need to be run at a low frame rate, even though CPU and GPU could drive more. This is the real problem with this computer.

Razer Blade Pro 14" Great little computer. Odd screen resolution which means re-scaling for almost every game. GPU powerful enough to drive its non-4K screen. Keyboard not great, but better than the RBP above. No power issues that I noticed. Good reliability, bright and clear screen.

John Willoughby – June 21, 2018 02:54PM Reply Quote
Another product that Apple has announced but is having trouble delivering.

I think what worries me most about things like this is that it seems like Apple is desperate for things to announce, and is touting products long before basic questions about standards and availability are answered. It concerns me that the pipeline may be so empty that they are announcing stuff prematurely.

bahamut – June 21, 2018 10:30PM Reply Quote
Weird, we've had ikea wireless chargers for a long time now. They work fine

I don't get how Apple can't announce more things. When's the last time the ipad pro/ipad mini/mac mini were updated? These things really could be revved once a year without fail. You don't need giant teams to do this. It generates news and a feeling the company isn't floundering. Remember there was that winter a while back where they released something new every week? Heck, they should decouple the apps from the OS so at least they could say they updated "Stocks" this week (I use it daily, sorry).

El Jeffe – June 22, 2018 06:09AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Simply put, I NOW believe my dream mix is

iPod TOUCH XL (extra large) with 4g/5g/LTE
and
Simple PHONE CALL and TEXTS ONLY device. No need for even touch-enabled screen, IMO. But very large/thick for big battery, "tuff summabitch" construction, with easy to grip sides.
Either have one or both of these >>>> Nice physical keyboard and/or a screen less DICTATION-ONLY Siri, so no need to ever google(and fail) to look up internet style searches. Just voice to text siri engine, which I prefer to typing (miserable thumb type accuracy)

I am firmly in the ALL IN ONE DEVICES compromise too much on about everything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2018 06:13AM by El Jeffe.

Roger – June 22, 2018 12:29PM Reply Quote
bahamut
These things really could be revved once a year without fail. You don't need giant teams to do this. It generates news and a feeling the company isn't floundering.

Yeah, it's as if they're so fixated on delivering big headlines that the whole organization has forgotten to do incremental upgrades, or they're desperately pretending that the incremental stuff is the big stuff. Just a guaranteed annual speed-bump/feature update like the iPhone gets would be a big improvement for the Mac and iPad lines.

John Willoughby – June 23, 2018 12:28PM Reply Quote
Finally. I hope that it was worth the months of bad press before Apple admitted the obvious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2018 12:29PM by John Willoughby.

John Willoughby – July 11, 2018 02:34PM Reply Quote

Roger – July 11, 2018 04:42PM Reply Quote
Revolutionary Computer Manufacturer to Update Two- and Three-Year-Old Models Sometime This Year

John Willoughby – July 12, 2018 09:47AM Reply Quote
Apple launches new MacBook Pros. Nicer than the old models, without a doubt, but not really what I wanted.

Radeon Pro 560 GP: "We recommend the AMD Radeon Pro 560 for gaming with highest details at resolutions up to, and including, 1280x720." (MacBook Pro resolution: 2880x1800)

New keyboard. "They're quieter, for one thing. They have a softer, less click-y feel that is a little closer to the pre-2016 models' chiclet keys." It's a sad day when "closer to chiclet keys" is an improvement for your keyboard.

I'm still thinking of getting one, since my MacBook Pro is a 2012 model. The cost for a high-end model is higher than I can manage right now, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2018 09:56AM by John Willoughby.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login