Spork Boards

iBox (the hardware)

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – January 14, 2008 03:08PM Reply Quote
iBox
Box mini
Box Pro
BoxBook
BoxBook Pro

The more the boxes change, the more they stay the same... or don't.

(talk about the hardware here)

ddt – January 10, 2018 10:59AM Reply Quote
Years ago I replaced my own -- I think I bought a battery from OWC. This summer I had an authorized apple service guy come to my place and replace the swollen and broken battery (after the heat wave) in a late 2013 13", but I don't know what he used. Both were fine.

ddt

John Willoughby – January 10, 2018 12:12PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I upgraded the battery on my wife's 2009 MBP. I used OWC, because they've always been good with Mac upgrades and hand-holding videos. It went well, but I think that their prices are higher than some.

tomierna (Admin) – January 10, 2018 09:12PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Anker makes some, and Newer's are good as well. I've bought some from Amazon with strange names, and found they were refurb Apple frames with new cells inside.

For a machine that old, you may not be able to find Anker or Newertech. When faced with that, I've gone with a mid-range odd-brand that qualifies for Prime - at least that way they are big enough to use Amazon's distribution.

johnny k – January 10, 2018 10:38PM Reply Quote
Anker! I would not have thought of that. Unfortunately not for my model. Good intel on the cheapos. That may also explain the "genuine OEM" batteries I saw on eBay. Found something that a bunch of people have bought for $35, so I'll give it a shot. Thanks all.

John Willoughby – January 11, 2018 02:40PM Reply Quote
I thought Apple would do this for a long time, but it never came to pass. Now I don't anticipate it, but it's a cool way to get a good touch pad, secondary monitor, WiFi and cellular data in a laptop. Until you lose your phone...

Roger – January 11, 2018 07:50PM Reply Quote
The Razer thing does a lot of stuff I wouldn't ever need, but I sure do wish there were better keyboards for literally lap-top, i.e. on top of a lap, use of iPads and iPhones.

John Willoughby – January 26, 2018 11:46AM Reply Quote
Pre-ordered a HomePod. Not expecting much from Siri, but I am from the speakers. We've found that the way that we use Alexa the most is to play music casually as we do other things. Looking forward to Apple Music's wide selection and our own playlists on something with better speakers. Alexa will be sent on vacation, possibly permanently.

ARL (Moderator) – January 26, 2018 07:16PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

Alexa will be sent on vacation, possibly permanently.

Off to the farm?

Roger – January 26, 2018 07:59PM Reply Quote
Gruber's getting very tetchy about people treating the HomePod as a super-expensive Echo competitor and not a hi-fi speaker for music. I'm still feeling like the thing may sell about as well as the iPod Hi-Fi.

John Willoughby – January 26, 2018 08:11PM Reply Quote
I don't think it will sound as good as a hi-fi speaker, but it's got to sound better than Alexa.

Mokers (Moderator) – January 27, 2018 04:44PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
The problem is that most people out there are fine listening to music streaming from their cell phones over the speaker. Before we had Alexa in the kitchen, this is how my wife used to listen to music. Before alexa, we still had an AM/FM clock radio to listen to NPR in the morning. Outside of the kitchen we stream music on the Uverse music channels in the living room through our TV speakers. I bet HomePod is going to sound a lot better than alexa, but if sounds is the only thing it does better, then I don't think it is price competitive to make much of a dent. I am not sure how many people see the current products out there and have said "well, I'll wait until they sound better". And I am not sure how many people who already have one are going to be like "let me pay this much for something that sounds better".

Typically, Apple would be able to leverage their ecosystem to sell a best in breed device. The App store drives iOS to dominance. Is iTunes music going to do the same for HomePod? Again, I feel most people are cool streaming Spotify and Pandora.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2018 04:45PM by Mokers.

dharlow – January 27, 2018 07:46PM Reply Quote
I hope they have improved Siri's voice recognition for the HomePod, she still can not understand what I want 9 times out of 10. Simple things like call my wife don't work, forget playing music. Alexa on the other hand works 9 out of 10 times for me, paired with my Sonos playing music sounds great.

johnny k – January 27, 2018 09:44PM Reply Quote
It's a HiFi. Apple makes premium products for the masses. Do any of Apple's other consumer products cost 3x the competition? This should've been a Beats product.

Cloudscout – January 29, 2018 09:59PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I just bought an iPad mini. My 5th gen iPod Touch has served me well for 4 years on the rare occasions when I needed an iOS device but it’s stuck with iOS 9.x and I need to run stuff that requires 10.x or higher.

El Jeffe – January 30, 2018 04:51AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I like my iPad Mini fuhrst gee

Roger – February 07, 2018 02:19AM Reply Quote

El Jeffe – February 07, 2018 04:53AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I've said for decades, since Mac intro, Apple had speech and did nothing (much) with it for painfully long time.
But, regardless, I will not have a google or Amazon camera or speaker in my home.

johnny k – February 07, 2018 09:45AM Reply Quote
Like I said, this is the iPod HiFi, but with a sprinkle of the original iPhone. Seems that most of the complaints are how limited it is. It's clear that Apple will make it a platform for Siri, but seeing as how Siri on iOS isn't yet a complete platform, it's gotta wait here too. We see a speaker, but Apple is launching a whole new pillar - not an accessory. Maybe WWDC will tell us something.

John Willoughby – February 07, 2018 12:09PM Reply Quote
What a surprise, Siri is the HomePod's weak spot. Apple can't be unaware of Siri's problems at this point. I wonder what they're thinking...

El Jeffe – February 08, 2018 12:29PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
So sad. For as much money as they have, it should be tops.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login