Spork Boards

iBox (the hardware)

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – January 14, 2008 03:08PM Reply Quote
iBox
Box mini
Box Pro
BoxBook
BoxBook Pro

The more the boxes change, the more they stay the same... or don't.

(talk about the hardware here)

John Willoughby – January 06, 2017 12:01PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Video of prototype DEC shows connector to MBP. Just looks like a small black box in the current iteration.

bahamut – January 06, 2017 10:17PM Reply Quote
So it's $2,899 for a base Macbook Pro (at 2.9Mhz … I mean for goddsakes this MBP is 2.8 … and with a faster graphics card) and then $1,400 for the DEC. Ugh.

John Willoughby – January 07, 2017 05:36PM Reply Quote

ARL (Moderator) – January 07, 2017 07:41PM Reply Quote
Interesting...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hypershop/hyperdrivetm-compact-thunderbolt-3-usb-c-hub-for-m

Look at the pent up demand for such a product. Sad that such a product is necessary.

bahamut – January 08, 2017 12:29AM Reply Quote
That would probably be a lot of money for Apple, I know they're sturggling. Sad.

John Willoughby – January 09, 2017 04:34PM Reply Quote
Instead of continuing in the small, furry, loud and dangerous thread, I will put my further Air Pod comments here.

Got the low battery tone almost exactly five hours after starting use.

When switching back to my Bose wired ear buds, I noticed that sound did get slightly richer. On the other hand, I found the wires burdensome and annoying. I had literally never noticed them in the preceding year.

Invoking Siri is pretty easy if iPhone is unlocked. Impossible if the phone is locked. Maybe because I have Siri off on the lockscreen. I will keep poking at it.

Siri continues to be... not Alexa. Not relevant to Air Pods, but I have just been reminded of it.

Ear buds are very comfortable, literally unaware that they are there, even after five hours. Because I have long hair, they are hard to see, and people keep talking to me while I am listening to podcasts. I can shake my head hard without them being dislodged. Were I the sort of person to run, though, I would not count on them remaining in very long when jogging. Or fleeing from velociraptors.

I haven't listened to much music yet, still on podcasts. (My normal work fare.)

I feel like the Siri issue, if it isn't my settings, is probably software-correctable.

I'm really liking them. They feel like a product of Apple's Golden Age. (Although a 1.0 product!)

John Willoughby – January 09, 2017 04:39PM Reply Quote
Yep, it was the "don't allow access to Siri when locked" setting. I can now access Siri. Which still insists on throwing up visual data from the web when I ask what the weather is, and only vocally reports the temperature.

I think that Apple needs to work on making Siri an audible-only assistant or, at least, allow that option on a device-by-device basis.

bahamut – January 10, 2017 10:22PM Reply Quote
I ordered some. Won't see them until March.

John Willoughby – January 18, 2017 12:09PM Reply Quote
First day I forgot and left my Air Pods at home. Using wired earbuds now, and realizing how much I like the Air Pods, by contrast.

El Jeffe – January 18, 2017 04:58PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
So, over many years, I used bluetooth earbud sometimes 24 hours a day. I've noticed headaches, swellings, sinus congestion, and maybe blurred vision on the ONE SIDE (i only have one good ear) that the earbud is on.
I wonder at times if any of that is related. I'm experimenting across months/year to see if I can tell.

Bruce Robertson – January 18, 2017 11:58PM Reply Quote
Just got Air Pods myself. Very nice. Listening to them now.
One weird problem though.
They have a smooth, rounded, very slick finish. They are held in place in the case by (light) magnets.
My fingertips just couldn't get any traction. I couldn't get them out of the case.
It probably took me five minutes to get them out of the case first time.
I did find some particular ways of gripping them that worked finally.

ARL (Moderator) – January 19, 2017 02:45AM Reply Quote
Bruce Robertson
Just got Air Pods myself. Very nice. Listening to them now.
One weird problem though.
They have a smooth, rounded, very slick finish. They are held in place in the case by (light) magnets.
My fingertips just couldn't get any traction. I couldn't get them out of the case.
It probably took me five minutes to get them out of the case first time.
I did find some particular ways of gripping them that worked finally.

Well, I'd have no chance then. Not that I was planning on buying them.

El Jeffe – January 19, 2017 03:47AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I heard on podcast, and I have not even SEEN these things in person, to take index finger and push the plastic between the two things. hard.

Bruce Robertson – January 19, 2017 04:37AM Reply Quote
There is no place to put your index finger to do that.
If you lick your fingers then rub them together until almost but not quite dry you can grip them.
About seven seconds.
You cannot shake them out of the case.
Maybe I will go in to the Apple Store for training. Fucking crazy.

John Willoughby – January 19, 2017 11:13AM Reply Quote
Put your finger in the middle, between the Air Pods, then slide to the right or left. The Air Pods pop right out. I had the same problem that you had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN5OnrYZfk4

Bruce Robertson – January 19, 2017 02:12PM Reply Quote
Thanks. Yup that works.

bahamut – January 19, 2017 05:31PM Reply Quote
Two years between refreshes on the iPad Pro. HOW THE HELL HARD IS IT TO DO THAT YEARLY? Heck, even twice a year.

porruka (Admin) – January 20, 2017 12:02PM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.
bahamut
Two years between refreshes on the iPad Pro. HOW THE HELL HARD IS IT TO DO THAT YEARLY? Heck, even twice a year.

It's really easy to do and to subsequently fill the channel with discounted inventory, whether there are large leaps in tech or not.

There is much complaining about how the current MBP isn't "different enough" - imagine if the iPad Pro were doing the doing the same?

The Mac Pro is really the only box (and *maybe* the mini) that truly deserves the wtf treatment. The rest fall into the "Why hasn't it changed?!?/It just changed for the sake of making a new model!" conundrum.

johnny k – January 20, 2017 12:30PM Reply Quote
Two years, in that it was introduced in 2015 and will get an update in March 2017. But that was September 2015, so more like 18 months, for the 12.9". Given that the 9.7" was introduced in March, that might be the new annual date for iPad updates, and the 12.9" was unusually early. The weirder thing is that the 12.9" is still behind the 9.7", instead of pulling an iPad 3 and updating it 6 months later. Certainly could use a screen upgrade to match the smaller one's gamut and TrueTone. And match the camera.

Anyone use one of these, with keyboard, for extended periods? Still on the iPad 4 that Dave here sold me, and I might consider a 12.9" iPad Pro once updated, for more work stuff. Is split-screen and keyboard navigation actually good?

John Willoughby – January 20, 2017 12:46PM Reply Quote
I'm on a first generation iPad Air. I might go for the 10.5" iPad Pro, if it supports Apple Pencil as I would expect. I'm giving up on cellular iPads, though. AT&T's raising the cost of my grandfathered unlimited plan, and I can always share my iPhone's cell connection.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login