Spork Boards

iBox (the hardware)

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – January 14, 2008 03:08PM Reply Quote
iBox
Box mini
Box Pro
BoxBook
BoxBook Pro

The more the boxes change, the more they stay the same... or don't.

(talk about the hardware here)

Mighty Mouse – January 17, 2008 12:23PM Reply Quote
Daniel,

I agree. I raised similar concerns. Not sure what is going to happen with this right now.

Mighty Mouse – January 17, 2008 12:25PM Reply Quote
So that means you probably could use a 3rd party SD drive, just not use the Apple external SD on anything else (but why would you want to?)

I suspect there will be other dongles available shortly.

Cloudscout – January 17, 2008 10:48PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Looks like my problem with the odd horizontal lines that appeared on the screen on my Mac Pro was a physical hardware problem after all. I followed the suggestion of several others who reported similar problems and took the video card out, cleared the dust that was caked on the heatsink and then tried things out again and no more screwy lines.

Unfortunately, the drive that holds my Boot Camp partition is still horked. The weird thing is, the computer won't even boot if I have the drive installed. If I pull that drive out, it boots fine but with the drive in, it just sits at the grey screen with the Apple logo and never even shows the little twirly status indicator. I have the drive in the freezer right now... we'll see if that does anything... would be nice to get data off of it at least.

bahamut – January 18, 2008 12:44AM Reply Quote
As of this evening I've got a 17" Macbook Pro without an optical drive. Mine died a while ago and the thing is out of warranty anyway. So what the hell, out goes the optical drive in goes an MCE Optibay.

main drive now: SATA 200gb 7500rpm
optibay drive now: PATA 250gb 6500rpm

It's dual system.
I first attached optibay drive to my mini (via external case) and dumped Leopard on it.

Oddly, the latter is faster, but that's because it doesn't have all the cruft the programs installed.

Cool. I'll be able to edit video and junk like that! Toss videos and so on onto the drive.

I was a bit disappointed by MCE. They included a screwdriver (why? you will need a torx kit anyway to do this job so why the part that you're more likely to already have) but no screws ... and there were some screws that weren't in the kit, such as those required to secure the bottom of the drive to the optibay (and newegg doesn't include those either). Admittedly I had that too. Moreover you have to remove the brackets from the optical to install on the optibay to keep it from shaking around but the damn holes in the plastic are too small for the screws from the brackets.

But overall a damn cool product and I'm glad I saved the $100 install fee. Now I'd like to find a decent slimline DL burner a la the MBA one and am willing to compromise, but not sure where I'd find such a thing.

stan adams – January 18, 2008 10:13AM Reply Quote
I think you can get one of these:
http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/HP_Multibay_II/PA851UT/H38120/

With one of these:
http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/HP_External_MultiBay_II/PA509AABA/F40973/

And it ought to work -- it has a big ugly wall wart, but the drive & housing is very damned small.

Cloudscout – January 18, 2008 10:30AM Reply Quote
I think I am going to try and grab a 500GB SATA drive in the next couple of days to replace the dead 250GB that used to be my Boot Camp drive (the freezer trick didn't work). Anybody want to chime in with recommendations/warnings before I do?

I'm actually thinking about using the 500GB to replace the main drive in my Mac Pro (so I have more room for Applications and user folders) and then demoting the existing boot drive to Boot Camp duty so performance will be a key factor for this new drive.

Dr Phred (Moderator) – January 18, 2008 10:42AM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
The new seagate SATAs. they have 32MB cache.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS Hard Drive
500GB BARRACUDA SATA 7200 RPM 32MB 3.5IN 8.5MS
Main Features
Manufacturer: Seagate Technology
Manufacturer Part Number: ST3500320AS
Manufacturer Website Address: www.seagate.com
Product Name: Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS Hard Drive
Marketing Information: Highly leveraged from award-winning PMR technology, the Barracuda 7200.11 drive increases capacity per disk without increasing platter or head count. At the same time, it enhances reliability by decreasing internal components and increasing magnetic stability at high areal densities.
Product Type: Hard Drive
Storage Capacity: 500GB
Data Transfer Rate: 105MBps Maximum Internal/300MBps Maximum External
Rotational Speed: 7200 rpm
Interfaces/Ports: 1 x 7-pin Serial ATA/300 Serial ATA
Form Factor: 3.5" 1/3H Internal Hot-swappable
Dimensions: 1.02" Height x 4" Width x 5.78" Depth
Weight: 1.2 lb
Standard Warranty: 5 Year(s) Limited

tliet – January 18, 2008 10:57AM Reply Quote
Yeah, do yourself a favour and get a Seagate. Not that there's that much choice left, is there?

Madaracs – January 18, 2008 11:07AM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
Cloudscout
I think I am going to try and grab a 500GB SATA drive in the next couple of days to replace the dead 250GB.

That reminds me I should get my LaCie enclosure back from you and do the same.

Sucks cuz my mini form-factored LaCie drive appears to be dying now too. I get frequent lockups when launching Front Row now as it attempts to read the disk. I suppose I should put a new drive in that too... but they're probably not SATA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2008 11:09AM by Madaracs.

SoupIsGood Food – January 18, 2008 09:41PM Reply Quote
The new Seagates are getting mixed reviews... about middle of the pack in terms of performance, despite the 32mb cache. The WD Caviar RE2 is firmly at the top of he heap, beating out even the much smaller capacity Raptor 10krpm drives in "real world" benchamrks. (Tho probably not so much in lots-of-little-reads applications, like a RDBMS RAID.)

SoupIsGonnaGetOne Himself

ghidorah – January 19, 2008 10:56AM Reply Quote
Raise taxes on cavemen. --jw
I've heard bad things about WESTERN DIGITAL reliability--have they improved or is this just an old IT tale?

Dr Phred (Moderator) – January 19, 2008 11:42AM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
Seagate has the best rep as far as reliability goes.
I tend to buy WD because I'm cheap....

Curtis – January 19, 2008 02:05PM Reply Quote
I've had many a Seagate drive die at work when apple was placing them in the Mac Pros....

Later Mac Pros I've seen have shipped with WD.

Coincidence?

Jeff Cooper – January 19, 2008 04:46PM Reply Quote
I worry that we're in a race to the bottom among hard drive manufacturers similar to what we saw in optical media, where the high-quality Japanese stuff was crowded out by low-quality (but very cheap) Taiwanese stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love paying $99 for 500 GB as much as the next guy, but I'd rather pay a bit more and have the drive actually work, and actually last (I've had some bad Seagates recently, and what I read about WD suggests it's no better).

Cloudscout – January 19, 2008 07:53PM Reply Quote
The drive that died was a Seagate. I went and bought a WD Caviar SE16 drive. We'll see how it goes.

I have the dead drive hooked up via an external USB adapter right now to see if Disk Warrior can recover anything from it.

Cloudscout – January 20, 2008 01:08AM Reply Quote
Yikes. This is taking a while. After 5 hours, it's about 10% complete. 2GB out of 20GB so far.

bahamut – January 25, 2008 07:58AM Reply Quote
I wouldn't trust La Cie. It might be that enclosure. Instead, you might want to try Wiebetech. They make nice gear.

Their new trayless docks look awesome. I ordered one yesterday. You can just shove in bare drives and lock them in place. No screws and junk.

SATAs become the new floppies. $200 and you never need another enclosure. So cool. Great for Time Machine.

Finally.

disclaimer: of two traydocks from wiebetech, one was actually DOA, but the other two have been flawless for a year.

ghidorah – January 25, 2008 08:43AM Reply Quote
Raise taxes on cavemen. --jw
Wiebetech makes some cool shit

Dr Phred (Moderator) – January 25, 2008 03:56PM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
I just ordered an esata raid from them. Portable 3TB raid 5!

bahamut – January 25, 2008 08:06PM Reply Quote
I don't think there's anybody else i'd trust besides wiebe.

disclaimer: of the dead traydock, the usb worked, just firewire didn't.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login