Spork Boards

Granberry's Parlor

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 02:46AM Reply Quote
Politics. Don Granberry on the old Spork Boards was quite fond of talking about them, and here we continue on in that fine tradition.

ddt – August 08, 2016 12:50PM Reply Quote
It's so hard to find a "good christian" these days: http://www.fox4news.com/news/186301974-story

ddt

John Willoughby – August 15, 2016 08:02PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support

ddt – September 25, 2016 08:08PM Reply Quote
ARL! This is actually up for a vote in the antipodes? You need to get on this and fight against it: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/sep/23/why-cant-our-leaders-learn-from-30-years-of-failure-in-health-and-education

Short version of the article: there's known reasons why market-based solutions for human services fail/cost more/have worse outcomes, and economists have known this for decades.

ddt

El Jeffe – October 09, 2016 05:47AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Crisper - Trans-Humanist.
comments? Must watch it all. I LISTENED to it via iTunes AUDIO ONLY and took it away differently than I would being somewhat distracted by the video presentation. I listened intently to what the guy said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6hQYXFly1I

El Jeffe – January 29, 2017 01:33PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Anyone have thoughts on Rubin?
I like him, his form of communication. Seems like a nice guy and all.
I feel his youtube channel is one of the best. Not that I agree with all his stances. But his guests and the way he interacts is PERFECT in my opinion.

This is one of the best, strongest (non interview - aka DIRECT MESSAGE) videos I've seen from him like maybe EVER.

The Left is No Longer Liberal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq86Beh3T70

ARL (Moderator) – January 29, 2017 07:56PM Reply Quote
Well, from what little I've read/listened to in the last 15 minutes or so, he's a bit misguided to claim he's a liberal where he's more of a semi-progressive libertarian. He has a "LINO" streak to his politics from what I can tell (btw, saying "hey, I'm pro-choice and pro-marriage equality" doesn't make you a liberal, it just means you're not an arsehat).

[Edit] He endorsed Gary Johnson for President, which is telling.

He is partly correct that the extreme left (regressive left or whatever you want to call it) is so preoccupied with outdoing each other in terms of who is the most oppressed/marginalised - like there's hunger games style prize to win. And yes, the true "feral" left (as opposed to just the centre-left) has a very confused and contradictory set of policy positions.

But that's like pointing to Donald Trump and saying all conservatives are insane pussy-grabbing narcissists.

One final note, I'm getting really sick of this "political correctness" football being kicked around. Yes, when overdone it can get a bit silly, but for the most part "political correctness" has been fucking awesome for nearly every person on the planet.

In the course of history, the following things would have, at various times, been described as "political correctness gone mad":

1. The Magna Carta
2. The Bill of Rights
3. The Civil Rights movement
4. Universal Suffrage
5. Freedom of religion
6. Equal pay
7. The first AND 2nd amendment

So, unless you can trace you ancestry directly back to a 12th century king, you have benefited immensely from "political correctness" at some point.

"Political Correctness" is why I'm living independently in the community right now, rather than dying a horrible slow death in some archaic institution. I *heart* political correctness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2017 05:57AM by ARL.

ARL (Moderator) – February 03, 2017 10:39PM Reply Quote
DPBD!

Living in Arkansas and carrying the rape-spawn of your estranged husband? You will push it out, because Jebus said so...

ghidorah – February 03, 2017 11:04PM Reply Quote
Raise taxes on cavemen. --jw
Problem is Ton, political correctness is just a catchall phrase that people use to suggest that their right to discriminate against (fill in the blank) is being impinged upon. Bigots are magically set free to be their worst selves--so long as they can get people to buy into the political correctness bogeyman. I just about ripped my brothers head off when he used the term at thanksgiving.

ARL (Moderator) – February 04, 2017 01:03AM Reply Quote
As I said before, political correctness (if not overdosed on) is awesome and has benefited anyone who isn't a king/emperor/tyrant by divine right...

ddt – February 04, 2017 10:43AM Reply Quote
As with "social justice warrior", the phrase originally has a constrained and meaningful use, which the right has, in it's clever but mean-spirited way, co-opted and stretched beyond all meaning to become a weapon against its original purpose (I think in the case of PC, Dinesh D'Souza was at the forefront). The derisive use of PC is now literally the equivalent of a douchebro shouting "I'm not gonna lie" or "I just gotta be me" as an excuse to be a total asshole.

ddt

El Jeffe – February 07, 2017 07:07AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
El Jeffe
tliet
In MY book, once Trump got involved, they should have known they were fucked.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_International_Hotel_and_Tower_(Dubai)

The Trump International Hotel and Tower project was cancelled by Nakheel in December 2008 as part of the impact felt by Dubai from the Global Economic Crisis.

Everything he touches turns to economic leprosy.

Uh-OH!!!!

El Jeffe – February 08, 2017 08:44AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Rubin's new video for Prager U.
Why I Left the Left
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiVQ8vrGA_8

John Willoughby – February 10, 2017 04:53PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support

ARL (Moderator) – February 10, 2017 06:46PM Reply Quote
It's nonsense like that which made me so opposed to the TPP. It would have allowed Martin Shkrelis to pop up everywhere...

ddt – February 10, 2017 10:33PM Reply Quote
I, for one, appreciate that we never have to guess at what ARL is feeling. I mean that.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – February 10, 2017 11:19PM Reply Quote
Fun fact, the arsehat who setup the MacTaggarts Fence is a guy called Martin Tiller.

I've taken to calling him Martin Shkreli-sorry-Tiller...

(Side note, I should really brush up on defamation law before my next letter to the editor)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2017 11:22PM by ARL.

ddt – February 10, 2017 11:37PM Reply Quote
Dunno, you seem pretty good at defamation as is.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – February 11, 2017 02:15AM Reply Quote
I have actually been threatened with a defamation suit once. Can be a messy business.

El Jeffe – February 19, 2017 08:20PM Reply Quote
What a journey.

ddt – February 19, 2017 10:49PM Reply Quote
But... but Trump has been saying we have such a terrible, terrible economy. Because Obama, of course.

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login