Spork Boards

Granberry's Parlor

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 02:46AM Reply Quote
Politics. Don Granberry on the old Spork Boards was quite fond of talking about them, and here we continue on in that fine tradition.

johnny k – February 16, 2018 10:32PM Reply Quote
Where are my originalist judges?

El Jeffe – February 16, 2018 11:27PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Not a lawyer, law, or constitutional scholar. But pragmatically today in many parts of the USofA, the actual practice is that many people can own, carry and use many type of items, objects, and in particular things that are weapons and firearms in many types of places, and as such are not crimes in and of themselves. The use of such items is and can be judged to convict people of crimes; but also uses exist that will not be judged to be a crime. Roughly some 40-50% of households purport to have at least one firearm.

That's about as sterile as I can state my observations of practical life today here across many people and regions. Same could be said for plants, and plant-derived extracts. e.g. - marijuana or opiates.

Simple substitution gives you .. But pragmatically today in many parts of the USofA, the actual practice is that many people can own, carry and use many type of plants (including marijuana) in many types of places, and as such are not crimes in and of themselves. The use of such plants is and can be judged to convict people of crimes; but also uses exist that will not be judged to be a crime.

Today, as an example, my immediate boss is on a camping trip in this state where the primary goal is firearm-focused. Unless plans go astray, all perfectly legal. Should he have a certain PLANT in his possession, could be judged in a court of law guilty of a crime.
I suspect some people I work with possess neither of those items. I have no proof of that. My observation is that it would be equally as safe a bet that NONE have NEITHER in their homes. (all have some/thing) As well, many have multiple thousands of dollars in such things. Expenditures above $30,000 would be a guess on the high end for some.

So, regardless of what might be the MEMORIES in that article, the above is what I observe myself. It exists, it is the here and now. Not the what was or what was intended. Just my observations.

johnny k – February 17, 2018 10:20AM Reply Quote
Why be sterile? I don't understand your point. We can have a real discussion about gun rights if we speak plainly.

ARL (Moderator) – February 17, 2018 08:08PM Reply Quote
johnny k
Why be sterile? I don't understand your point. We can have a real discussion about gun rights if we speak plainly.

I think that everything that can be said on this topic has already been said.

On a semi-tangent, I did have a chuckle at a photo of a letter and "donation cheque" sent to a pro-gun lawmaker recently. The letter said something like "since you seem to think these are so important for the victims of gun crimes, I thought I'd contribute some toward your campaign fund so you don't run out."

The amount on the cheque simply said "thoughts and prayers..."

John Willoughby – February 18, 2018 07:33PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support

John Willoughby – February 18, 2018 07:36PM Reply Quote

El Jeffe – March 27, 2018 06:22AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Anyone have any comments related to the Las Vegas shooting, wrt what we know / been told?
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-vegas-shooting-files-20180327-story.html

johnny k – March 27, 2018 11:40AM Reply Quote
I don't like it when police want to reduce transparency. I do think we need to see anything that would explain his motivations, to address the problem if we can. I don't think we need gratuitous documentation of the event. I was annoyed by the NYT's persistent stories about how he did it, but generally think the press is capable of doing its job and distilling all this into useful information.

ARL (Moderator) – March 27, 2018 07:28PM Reply Quote
Since the shooter in this case is already dead I'm a bit puzzled why they're fighting so hard to keep the footage secret.

El Jeffe – March 28, 2018 04:29PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
again, I think cook should try to run for office.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/apple-ceo-tim-cook-slams-facebook-privacy-human-right-it-n860816

I am amazed that privacy is not really outlined much in our foundational documents.

El Jeffe – March 30, 2018 05:53AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
time to think... and I think I love Tim Cook. having seen his interview and heard some pundits, I really like him overall... not specifically for CEO/Apple stuff.

johnny k – March 30, 2018 11:52AM Reply Quote
Nah, I don't like CEOs as politicians. They're dictators. Sure, Cook is more attuned to customers than most, but Apple shaped those customers in the first place. Democracy is by nature not a tightly-run ship.

James DeBenedetti – March 30, 2018 12:13PM Reply Quote
lol

ddt – March 30, 2018 10:48PM Reply Quote

James DeBenedetti – March 31, 2018 03:38AM Reply Quote
Bravo, DDT! Can you find me a counterlol to “This Is Spinal Tap” as well?

ARL (Moderator) – March 31, 2018 09:15PM Reply Quote
Given Tim Cook's stance on tax I don't think I'd like to see his version of America...

John Willoughby – May 11, 2018 10:04AM Reply Quote
Australia to ban cash payments of $10,000 (AUS) or more. This will have a lot of good effects, but it is also starting the end of unmonitored cash transactions everywhere. At some point, all money will be digital (assuming that we don't regress to flint knives and bear skins), and government and banks will know everything that there is to know about your finances. This prospect disturbs me. Maybe we'll see a resurgence in barter, or cryptocurrencies will finally have their "killer app."

ARL (Moderator) – May 11, 2018 07:59PM Reply Quote
That's a dick move. Lots of people still pay cash for legitimate purposes. I can see "alternate currencies" booming because of this.

John Willoughby – May 18, 2018 02:20PM Reply Quote
I think that the school shooting du jour has pushed me over a line.

I now feel that I need protection from my government, rather than by my government.

Under various laws, not only from the GOP:

I can be surveilled without warrant
My property can be seized without due process, if authorities allege I trade in illegal drugs
My underage children can be taken from my custody without process if authorities allege that I am an unfit parent
People are actively trying to prevent me from voting
My vote, if registered will not have its fair impact due to gerrymandering
I am held to a higher standard of conduct then people wealthier than I are held to
My planet is being destroyed in the name of profit by people too cynical, devout, or profit-hungry to give a shit
My children live their lives as potential targets for madmen
If I want to travel by air, I open myself and any devices I carry to a potentially extremely intrusive search
My country's fundamental principles are not about freedom, or justice, but the acquisition and protection of wealth and privilege
Whatever my government didn't enact on this list, it actively supports

None of this is new, none of this is eye-opening, I am just in a rage at my desk and sick of EVERYTHING.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2018 02:22PM by John Willoughby.

ddt – May 19, 2018 08:14AM Reply Quote
I hear you, and that's valid.

Let's just keep in mind that none of these things are "the government". Our governmental system is, by design, one of competing interests and compromises. There are efforts to prevent people from voting, yes, and those are horrible, but that's not "the government" -- that's some people in the government who are coopted and supported by non-governmental concerns (we can name names if you want).

In fact, that "screw the government" reaction is what some of these concerns are looking for. Undermining the confidence in support of the structures of government are their stated goals. (It won't reduce the anger but might make sense of it, to read Jane Mayer's "Dark Money" and its cited primary sources).

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login