Spork Boards

Presidential Politics

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 02:43AM Reply Quote
Every election is the most important one.

ddt – January 24, 2019 12:55PM Reply Quote
This morning there was a "Trump folds on SOTU" story at the top of redstate.com -- now I can't find it. Even searched for "memory hole"!

ddt

porruka (Admin) – January 24, 2019 12:57PM Reply Quote
New year. Same me. Proceed accordingly.

ddt – January 24, 2019 01:08PM Reply Quote
Thanks. I wanted to see what proto-narratives were forming in the comments section (the "something deeper must be going on" was expected). Funny how it got pushed off the front page so quickly.

ddt

ddt – January 24, 2019 01:22PM Reply Quote
Speaker Pelosi is sitting back with a fresh cup of tea, thinking, "Maybe they could make it harder for me to make devastating comebacks".

(In response to Trump cabinet member and $700millionaire Wilbur Ross wondering why federal workers, amongst the 80% of Americans living paycheck to paycheck, are having to visit food banks while working unpaid for a month.)

ddt

John Willoughby – January 24, 2019 01:32PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support

ARL (Moderator) – January 24, 2019 11:47PM Reply Quote
ddt
I hear you, though that's an emotional call. Would your feeling be changed if we thought more about marginal tax rates? In AOC's thought experiment, you get taxed on your first US$10M/yr of income at the same rate someone making US$32K/yr. The margin _over_ US$10M/yr would be taxed at 70%.

Now, this income/year can be a lot of things, including investment income, rent-seeking returns, even inheritances (if you have a good CPA). And it doesn't address the whole loophole thing, which is valid to point out -- throwing your hands up and saying this is all useless because the rich will always find loopholes is _not_ valid (would have to think on which cognitive or logical fallacy that is specifically).

And it's a canard to say, "Well, you can't just say 'tax everything' is a solution" because _of course_ what you do with the revenue would be a lot of solutions, and that's where the hard work is. It's like saying "Well, you can't just get out of personal depression" but you have to work at it. We know there are crises of poor food security leading to children who can't learn, schools are underfunded and poor compared to two or three decades ago (see the teacher strikes), infrastructure is in a shit state, and so on. These are all things that have been manufactured by the reduction of tax revenue and tax base, and exactly the sort of problems a federal government is designed to address. With money.

ddt

Why can't you just say "no loopholes" or "tax everything, period"? Take the thousands of pages on deductions in the existing tax code, put it in a pile and burn it?

The "people will always find loophole, therefore we shouldn't get rid of any loopholes" is the kind of sophistry you'd get from the CATO institute.

And yes, even if someone's earning $100 million in income a year, I think they should keep at least half, including at the top marginal rate.

I also think there should be a generous tax-free component, say no income tax on the first $30K you earn, and I think the tax system should be as progressive as possible. But tax rates, or even effective marginal tax rates (at one stage my effective marginal tax rate was 85% -- this was when I was a pensioner), for people on *any* income level, should be set so that you keep at least as much as you pay.

Period.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2019 11:50PM by ARL.

ARL (Moderator) – January 24, 2019 11:49PM Reply Quote
I also think there should be a land tax, and also a wealth tax, and there should definitely be a tobin tax.

ARL (Moderator) – January 25, 2019 12:09AM Reply Quote
I also wholeheartedly support every recommendation here:

http://www.theirfairshare.org.au/

Since companies want to be legally treated as "people", they should be taxed like people as well.

tliet – January 25, 2019 12:18AM Reply Quote
The issue with that is that these 'people' can and will relocate to the country that gives them the biggest breaks.

ddt – January 25, 2019 12:42AM Reply Quote
First read that as a "robin tax" which, sure, the Waynes can afford, but what happens to the average small homeowner when spring rolls around?

ddt

ddt – January 25, 2019 12:18PM Reply Quote
For those of you playing at home: the Fox/Redstate/etc. line on today's news, and what looks like will harden into a narrative (to reinforce the "witch hunt" narrative) is:

"process crimes"

"where is the evidence of collusion"

"trying to catch someone in a perjury trap"

"it's totes okay even if he did"

ddt

ddt – January 25, 2019 02:25PM Reply Quote
Note the introduction of the term "smart wall". This could be the out, the way to claim victory if Congress funds only plans for advanced detection, more human support -- no, wait, he's stressing "physical barrier".

Well, let's not require consistency.

ddt

ddt – January 25, 2019 02:43PM Reply Quote
Holy cats, he started ranting about someone's (probably Steven Miller's) browser history and duck-taped women and here's probably why: https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1088880833920974848?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

ddt

tliet – January 25, 2019 05:42PM Reply Quote
Am I cynical to think that the move to reopen te government is the latest manoeuvre of Trump to keep deflecting attention from the Mueller investigation?

John Willoughby – January 25, 2019 06:37PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I think that he was getting around to it anyway. I think that he's setting up a combat scenario in Venezuela for when Mueller's report comes out.

tliet – January 25, 2019 07:50PM Reply Quote
Well, a war in the US' backyard would be a refreshing change, at least the flights are a lot shorter ...

tliet – January 26, 2019 04:44AM Reply Quote
The interviews in this article https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/how-the-shutdown-ended-americans-just-had-it-up-to-here/2019/01/25/11a19848-20d4-11e9-8b59-0a28f2191131_story.html are telling; valuable people might be leaving the government. Looking at the strategy of the Republican party, this may be exactly what they are looking for.

ddt – January 26, 2019 06:54PM Reply Quote
How bad a human would you have to be to be in the same room with Trump and have him come off as the good guy?

Well, I guess we now know.

ddt

Cloudscout – January 26, 2019 07:10PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Our dinner companions on our cruise are a pair of 65+ ladies from Toronto. Tonight one of them said that she thinks Trump is doing a better job than Trudeau.

Thankfully, this is was the last night.

ddt – January 26, 2019 08:05PM Reply Quote
What don't and do they like?

Could be worse. I've recently heard of a cruise where Jonah Goldberg was a featured celeb, the cryptocurrency cruise, and the ConspiraSea Cruise.

Maybe read these once you're back ashore.

ddt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2019 08:06PM by ddt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login