Spork Boards

Presidential Politics

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 02:43AM Reply Quote
Every election is the most important one.

tliet – January 15, 2019 01:03AM Reply Quote
Well, I just got surprised again. He's done it, the next level of low.

ddt – January 15, 2019 10:04AM Reply Quote
Definitely classy.

But let's keep our eyes on... the prize? As these minor horrors happen on a day to day basis, we have the modern Republican party celebrating and acting on dismantling the infrastructure of democratic government (regulations, social safety nets, voting rights), also on a day to day basis. We also have propaganda efforts to completely instill a sense that such functions, including (hi, party of law and order) the FBI, to rally the base to revolt or at least dismiss any rule of law over their actions: https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1085001456623800320?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Seriously, look at the comments on not even fringe sites like townhall and redstate. Any legal claims against Trump or Republicans are automatically considered illegitimate.

Read Sarah Kandzior's book and work on Twitter, too -- she's studied the rise of totalitarian state structures.

Again, open to being shown I'm wrong, and that this is normal or good or desired. But will require citations and why the outcomes are positive.

ddt

tliet – January 15, 2019 12:01PM Reply Quote
Indeed Dan, Trump acts as a good way to divert the attention away. As somebody said in that Twitter thread; Fox News and Rupert Murdoch are the real threats to democracy.

ddt – January 15, 2019 02:05PM Reply Quote

John Willoughby – January 15, 2019 02:41PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Not really "presidential" politics, but the House of Commons is voting on Theresa May's Brexit deal as I post. Not looking good for the PM.

John Willoughby – January 15, 2019 02:44PM Reply Quote
Yep, May lost. Brexit is going to be BAD. (IMHO, of course, on the theory that even a flawed, vague, dumb plan is better than no plan.)

porruka (Admin) – January 15, 2019 03:17PM Reply Quote
New year. Same me. Proceed accordingly.
John Willoughby
Yep, May lost. Brexit is going to be BAD. (IMHO, of course, on the theory that even a flawed, vague, dumb plan is better than no plan.)

Death rattles are never pleasant. I hope that, if you'll pardon the phrasing, both Brexit and the current US shutdown wind up being populist Waterloos. There will be no shortage of pain to go around, definitely, but the end result -- as long as it avoids anarchy -- should be a more sound environment.

tliet – January 15, 2019 03:21PM Reply Quote
If the commentary is any indication, the Bexiteers have their heads so far up their arses, they'll never accept the fact that once you cancel your membership of the tennisclub, you can buy a drink in the canteen, but no longer use the courts or the showers.

'The EU must realise that they'll lose access to one of the most lucrative markets'.

tliet – January 15, 2019 03:23PM Reply Quote
So, Porruka, I don't think the people voting for the populists realise that the house is coming down precisely because of them.

tliet – January 15, 2019 03:27PM Reply Quote
The Scottish nationalists seem to have a good perspective on things; suspend the Article 50 proceedings and have a people's vote on it.

Yeah, but democracy...

ddt – January 15, 2019 03:28PM Reply Quote
Yeah, I'd like to agree with you, P, but we're seeing in all these cases where faux populism has been coopted for political agendas, the people who pay (sometimes literally) for it/suffer for it are those _not_ in power, who are insulated from it all. And as we've seen for years, the "What's the Matter with Kansas" effect has those who are paying for it thinking that it's not their side that's at fault. On the right-wing media sites, the US shutdown _is_ the fault of "demonrats" (what, "dhimmicrats" isn't relevant any more?) who are for some nebulous "open border" thing. (I don't know what the analogous mental gymnastics is in case of pro-Brexit people.) It's like the old saying, "conservatism cannot fail, it can only be failed" (or wait, was that said about communism?).

ddt

ddt – January 15, 2019 03:33PM Reply Quote
If there's going to be a Democrat who succeeds in 2020, it's going to have to be somebody who can, on a large scale, get across and get across sincerely the message of, "We see that you're hurting, we see what's hurting you, and what we are and have been advocating will help reduce what's been hurting you, really." I'm not promoting Warren specifically, but if you've ever seen her work a small room, she's extraordinarily good at this -- in part because she's looked at large systems of power, sees how it affects classes in America, and has worked on this to ease this asymmetry of power, and say this all in concrete, small-scale terms.

But, you know. Fauxcahontas. So fuck all that work she's done, we'll stick with Trump.

ddt

John Willoughby – January 15, 2019 03:33PM Reply Quote

porruka (Admin) – January 16, 2019 03:20PM Reply Quote
New year. Same me. Proceed accordingly.
And yet, May still holds on. Disappointing.

John Willoughby – January 16, 2019 03:37PM Reply Quote
But expected. I certainly can't claim to understand UK politics, but it seems that, like in the US, UK conservatives will not vote to end their party's dominance, no matter how disappointing their leader is.

I'll be surprised if Scotland is a part of the UK twenty-five years from now, if Brexit passes.

tliet – January 16, 2019 04:23PM Reply Quote
Indeed John. I believe that England will finally fall victim to the politics that have created the massive kingdom in the first place, but has caused so much suffering in the 20th century when it started to fall apart. These politics will bring down the UK in the 21st century.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2019 04:26PM by tliet.

John Willoughby – January 16, 2019 05:17PM Reply Quote
I wonder if Wales has a strong nationalist party. I know that there's a party called Plaid Cymru, but I don't know their policies.

ARL (Moderator) – January 16, 2019 08:29PM Reply Quote

I'll be surprised if Scotland is a part of the UK twenty-five years from now, if Brexit passes.

Make that five years. And in 10 either Northern Ireland will have also broken away, possibly even merging with the south (!)

tliet – January 17, 2019 01:42AM Reply Quote
If the passport applications are any indication, maybe sooner.

ARL (Moderator) – January 17, 2019 02:22AM Reply Quote
I have two Northern Irish cousins applying for Irish passports.

If I travel to Europe this year, I'll see if I can get one as well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login