Spork Boards

Presidential Politics

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 02:43AM Reply Quote
Every election is the most important one.

ARL (Moderator) – January 09, 2019 10:15PM Reply Quote
porruka
This really says it all:

“Trump supporter complains shutdown is 'not hurting the people he needs to be hurting'”

https://apple.news/AXaVfzRvCQnC0TFA6dGveYQ

From the article:

The newspaper additionally noted that Minton, a secretary, had previously obtained permission to postpone her job responsibilities in Mississippi until February. She is a single mother caring for disabled parents, the Times noted.

I'm curious about the "care" her disabled parents receive, some sort of hunger games style social darwinism?

ddt – January 09, 2019 11:09PM Reply Quote
I'm sure she and her parents weren't "given" any social net to help them -- they earned that Social Security and Medicare!

ddt

tliet – January 10, 2019 12:16AM Reply Quote
Knowing that Trump is a 'scorched earth' type of guy to get what he wants, what is the moment where the shutdown will get damaging enough for the adults to intervene? What are the measures the adults can still take?

The word impeachment is seldom used, and I think with good reason, it's not a measure used lightly as the Republicans last showed when they impeached Clinton.

Cloudscout – January 10, 2019 12:29AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Impeachment won't happen at least until the final Mueller report is completed. If it drags on for a few more weeks, I think congress will grow a spine and threaten to override any Cheeto Veto.

tliet – January 10, 2019 01:51AM Reply Quote
Never wasting a moment to smear the 'Dems' FoxNews is serving up 'megadonor' Ed Buck with some Hillary and Obama on the side. https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ed-buck-california-democratic-megadonor-second-death-sharpened-focus

I wonder how they'll characterise the Koch brothers, gigadonors?

ddt – January 10, 2019 09:58AM Reply Quote
"Patriots", probably. If they mention them at all. Then they'd quickly move to "but Soros", because one of their main rhetorical tools is "but the other side".

You know what occurred to me? All the stuff we're pointing out as getting damaged both by intent and by the government shutdown? SNAP, the EPA, the IRS, the public park system -- _that's all stuff they want to get rid of_. We keep documenting "look what you're damaging", and their private thoughts are likely, certainly as supported by what we've seen of their intentional actions, are "oh good!"

Is that the Republican base's platform?

ddt

tliet – January 10, 2019 11:14AM Reply Quote
Yes, for years now the Republicans have tried to prove that governments don't work. The thing the adults should start driving home is 'when the Republicans are in power'.

John Willoughby – January 10, 2019 12:11PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support

John Willoughby – January 10, 2019 12:21PM Reply Quote

tliet – January 10, 2019 01:04PM Reply Quote
Lol, if it weren't so sad....

ddt – January 10, 2019 06:00PM Reply Quote
Battery-powered angle grinders have gotten pretty powerful, lightweight, and cheap. Ask the thousands of bicycle thieves across the southern US.

ddt

tliet – January 10, 2019 09:44PM Reply Quote
So, Graham is calling Trump to use his emergency powers, once again I can see the Republicans turning a bad situation in their advantage. Kavanaugh went berserk in a partisan manner to ram the message home, Trump will pull the 'Emergency Powers' card.

The shamelessness has literally no borders.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2019 09:45PM by tliet.

ddt – January 10, 2019 11:45PM Reply Quote
The Russkis must have something big on Graham.

ddt

ddt – January 11, 2019 01:02PM Reply Quote
I'd love to hear a debunking, or why they'd be okay with this, from people who supported Trump: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1083762296239865856.html

On the 20th anniversary of The Sopranos, we should be more awake to being the carcass in a bust-out.

ddt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2019 01:04PM by ddt.

tliet – January 11, 2019 04:42PM Reply Quote
The company I work for hires a lot of foreign knowledge workers, it's quite easy to get people over from outside the EU (and of course other EU countries) these days in the NL. I've noticed that the general consensus among these workers is that they stopped bothering looking to get to the US, it's just not worth it anymore. And, that the US losing its leadership status in the world fast.

John Willoughby – January 11, 2019 05:05PM Reply Quote
White House economic adviser appears to compare shutdown to 'vacation' for furloughed workers

That's why the early 1930's are known as "The Great Vacation." Being broke rocks!

ddt – January 11, 2019 06:11PM Reply Quote
tfw it's mentioned casually in passing on the news that 80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck and oh, the political optics around not being seen to give in to the other side... .

ddt

ddt – January 14, 2019 10:27AM Reply Quote
A little context: The Atlantic had only endorsed a presidential candidate only three times over 161 years.

https://www.theatlantic.com/unthinkable/

ddt

tliet – January 14, 2019 05:11PM Reply Quote
Yup. Wow... Just wow...

Thing is, Trump is just a decoy for the real advantages the Republicans are reaping.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login