Spork Boards

Presidential Politics

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 02:43AM Reply Quote
Every election is the most important one.

ddt – January 08, 2019 09:38AM Reply Quote
So a lot of what AOC is saying out loud is: top marginal tax rate of 70%, better public funding for roads and schools.

It's like stepping backwards towards the domestic tax policies of Eisenhower (when there was a top marginal tax rate higher than that, and the guvmint built the highway system). And the US created the middle class and saw the most upward mobility the world had ever seen.

You'd think conservatives would be all over this.

ddt

John Willoughby – January 08, 2019 10:44AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
"Will it raise my taxes?"
"Yes, but the benefits..."
"Nope."

tliet – January 08, 2019 11:15AM Reply Quote
One can always move to a country with a much lower tax rate, a whole lot of African or South American countries have much lower rates. And usually a lot better weather too!

John Willoughby – January 08, 2019 11:17AM Reply Quote
When they did that, people started yelling about colonialism and kicked them out. Life is brutal for the one percent...

John Willoughby – January 08, 2019 12:22PM Reply Quote
Trump downgrades Europe. Who needs allies?

The Trump administration seems to have snubbed the European Union in a totally novel way: according to German broadcaster Deutsche Welle, the administration downgraded the diplomatic status of the EU’s delegation to Washington without telling the EU it was doing so.

“We don’t exactly know when they did it, because they conveniently forgot to notify us,” an anonymous EU official told DW. The status of the delegation—from “member state” to “international organization”—seems to have been downgraded sometime in October or November.

johnny k – January 08, 2019 12:43PM Reply Quote
People can't or won't grasp what a marginal tax rate is, and it's better to show it with hard numbers. They're not doing that while the discussion is early, but should to avoid being defined by Republicans. "Right now if you make $10 million or $100 million, you nominally pay 37%. This proposal changes nothing for anyone but those who make over $10 million. If you make $10 million, you will still pay 37%. If you make $20 million you will pay 54%. If you make $100 million, you will pay 67%."

Though that's probably still not addressing the real concern, which is that a young brown woman isn't a Serious Politician.

Krugman says that economists say the top rate should be 73% or higher to optimally grease the economic machine.

John Willoughby – January 08, 2019 12:56PM Reply Quote
We used those tax rates for decades, during this country's most prosperous period. Built the interstates, had decent schools, and a strong military. But the very rich weren't getting richer fast enough. So it had to go.

tliet – January 08, 2019 03:34PM Reply Quote
And helped with a few decades of misinformation and a war on education and critical thinking.

John Willoughby – January 08, 2019 03:59PM Reply Quote
Oops.

Attorneys for former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort accidentally revealed in a court filing Tuesday that the special counsel team led by Robert Mueller has alleged their client lied about sharing polling data with a Russian operative.

Manafort’s lawyers ― in a poorly redacted court filing responding to the special counsel’s claim that Manafort broke his September 2018 plea agreement by lying to investigators ― inadvertently revealed that Mueller’s team alleged that “Manafort lied about sharing polling data with [Konstantin Kilimnik] related to the 2016 presidential campaign.”

tliet – January 08, 2019 04:16PM Reply Quote
Re; the EU's status downgrade, it fits nicely in the Trump Doctrine. Obama built it, I break it.

ddt – January 08, 2019 07:08PM Reply Quote
What's so horrible -- I know, so many things to pick from, so this isn't an exclusive choice -- is that the people most being hurt right now, simply as a byproduct of an egotistical "I said wall" stance, are the most vulnerable. SNAP recipients, people who rely on HUD grants for housing, Native Americans whose infrastructure is funded through departments currently shut down, and the list goes on. Though I guess we shouldn't be surprised, in this fact or that Trump and his cabinet couldn't give two fucks, because we've seen over the past two years that when these populations are actually thought about, they're in focus so that their lives can be made worse: this government has worked to cut SNAP availability (remember, this is how more children than not _get fed_ in the U.S.), making toxic the air and water these people have no option but to exist on, and... it's too depressing to go on.

And this is all part of MAGA. This is what some people are loving, to the point of calling those who don't agree "not welcome here" and taking up arms.

ddt

porruka (Admin) – January 08, 2019 08:43PM Reply Quote
New year. Same me. Proceed accordingly.
This really says it all:

“Trump supporter complains shutdown is 'not hurting the people he needs to be hurting'”

https://apple.news/AXaVfzRvCQnC0TFA6dGveYQ

John Willoughby – January 09, 2019 11:08AM Reply Quote
porruka
This really says it all:

“Trump supporter complains shutdown is 'not hurting the people he needs to be hurting'”

https://apple.news/AXaVfzRvCQnC0TFA6dGveYQ

I guess that I've misunderstood the role of the presidency all this time.

John Willoughby – January 09, 2019 01:33PM Reply Quote
Trump Orders FEMA To Cut Off Aid For California Wildfire Recovery

The president said the fire-ravaged state will receive no more money until “they get their act together.”

Petty, venal, stupid, stupid, man.

porruka (Admin) – January 09, 2019 02:29PM Reply Quote
New year. Same me. Proceed accordingly.
John Willoughby
Trump Orders FEMA To Cut Off Aid For California Wildfire Recovery

The president said the fire-ravaged state will receive no more money until “they get their act together.”

Hurting the right people! [/s]

tliet – January 09, 2019 03:00PM Reply Quote

You're too kind for him.

ddt – January 09, 2019 03:03PM Reply Quote
To be fair, if "hurt" meant "tax" and "the right people" meant "those making more than $10M a year", I'd agree with that random voter's statement. And I bet those making over $10M/year would claim injury if their marginal tax rate were at Kennedy-era levels.

ddt

John Willoughby – January 09, 2019 04:48PM Reply Quote
So frustrating (though not surprising) to learn that president who kept bleating about the need to compromise in his Oval Office address walked out of a meeting to re-open the government when told that the Democrats would not support his wall. What does he think "compromise" means? Maybe he hoped that they'd okay a knee-high wall...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2019 04:49PM by John Willoughby.

ddt – January 09, 2019 06:36PM Reply Quote
"Compromise" means to him what it's always meant to him: you give him what he wants, and he'll smile and say you're fantastic or whatever adjective remains in his head.

Look, from this report, it doesn't seem like it's at all about securing the border for him (caveats: what the hell does that mean specifically, also too do not speculate as to what goes on in his head), but rather a "I said X and you're not complying and that's not what I want":

ddt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2019 06:36PM by ddt.

ddt – January 09, 2019 06:52PM Reply Quote
Top-rated comment at redstate.com on this news story:

"So far, so good. I hope that the President understands that he cannot cave on this and expect to win re-election in 2020. The reality is that he has to prevail or accept being a one-term wonder, since many in his base only supported him because they were frustrated with politicians who fail to keep their promises.If he cases on this, I expect a significant number of those voters to decide that he's just like all the rest.

Meanwhile, the Dems' response to the families of Americans murdered by illegals? Parade out federal workers whose checks will be late. Boo-fricking-hoo. Normal Americans routinely experience financial disruption without any expectation that money will eventually arrive, and we're supposed to care about these entitled jerks being inconvenienced? Anyone here ever lost a job? Ever had your business go through troubled times? I have - on both counts. And I never had the safety net of a guaranteed federal paycheck coming my way when the troubles ended.

Could these people be any more out of touch with the average American?"

Anyone want to defend ^? Anyone want to place odds that this Randian "I never had the safety net" titan has relied on federal roads, unemployment insurance, ERs, or other hallmarks of a tax base?

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login