Spork Boards

Presidential Politics

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 02:43AM Reply Quote
Every election is the most important one.

tliet – November 21, 2018 02:31PM Reply Quote
I'd say, if you loathe paying taxes, there's quite a few countries in Africa or Russian satellite states that have even lower taxes. But indeed, the points of view are so polarised these days, a sane discussion is not possible. Best to stick with the weather or turkey recipes.

Happy thanksgiving US friends!

dharlow – November 21, 2018 08:55PM Reply Quote
I have started telling those in California that if don't like the taxes here there are 49 other states they can move to.

ARL (Moderator) – November 22, 2018 09:50PM Reply Quote
John Willoughby
They do dislike Trump, but are pro-GOP.

They say: "My taxes are lower."

I say: "We are experiencing a collapse of the middle class, the educational system, and our infrastructure, and yet have money for the most expensive military in the world. What will your children's quality of life be, surrounded by desperate, uneducated, and angry people? How would your life change if you paid 5% more in taxes?"

They say: "Why should I pay for somebody else's health care?"

I say: "Infectious disease knows no borders or boundaries; preventative medicine for all can protect us all. My brother, who lived into his forties due to my family's insurance and wealth, would have died in his childhood without those things. Should every American who can't get a salaried job with decent insurance write off his children with chronic illnesses? How can every other modern democracy in the world provide free health care to their people, but we cannot?"

They say: "We need more conservative judges."

I say: Nothing effective. To me it seems like more liberal judges are necessary for balance, even if one does not want to move to the left. My step-mom feels it is a Christian thing, my father seems to just think conservative judges will enable further tax reduction from the government. Seriously, low taxes are his religion.

Nothing that I say matters, just as nothing they say to me matters. My parents are of an older generation, of course, and my brother and his wife are Wall Street sorts. Attitudes will not change on either side.

I can relate. That sounds like my Dad. Those arguments always remind me of this:

John Willoughby – November 26, 2018 05:08PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support

ARL (Moderator) – November 27, 2018 02:42AM Reply Quote
Wow. Not quite the "new south" eh?

ARL (Moderator) – November 30, 2018 07:09PM Reply Quote

ddt – December 12, 2018 12:40PM Reply Quote
It takes a going to get me to feel sorry for and on the side of the CEO of Google, but Republicans in Congress are goers: https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a25558611/republicans-google-hearing-sundar-pichai/

And glad Charlie didn't just stop with the displays of buffoonery, but outlined that there are real problems around which Google should be brought up:

"The hell of it all is that there are serious issues involving how Google does business—from privacy concerns, to the company's relationship with China, to Google/YouTube's ongoing problem with hate-speech videos and propaganda. But these very real concerns were drowned out by the paranoid nonsense pouring out of the committee's more conservative members, and thus do we see yet another problem for our politics going forward.

The conservative media ecosystem in this country now has existed for long enough that Republicans are nominating and electing people who were completely formed, in their political knowledge, within that impenetrable bubble. When Clarence Thomas cites a James O'Keefe video in a Supreme Court dissent, or when congresscritters cite PJ Media as though it were a serious media enterprise, or when the president* himself draws his knowledge from whatever random bit of rancid thought drifted out from between Sean Hannity's ears, we have reached a dreadful state of affairs in our ability to govern ourselves."

ddt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2018 12:43PM by ddt.

John Willoughby – December 12, 2018 04:56PM Reply Quote
I wonder if Trump will have Mueller fired after Congress goes home for the year. That was the rumor in 2017, and it seems valid now.

tliet – December 12, 2018 05:33PM Reply Quote
I believe he's stupid enough to do so, but when doing it he'll sign his own impeachment and eventually imprisonment.

porruka (Admin) – December 12, 2018 05:47PM Reply Quote
New year. Same me. Proceed accordingly.
tliet
I believe he's stupid enough to do so, but when doing it he'll sign his own impeachment and eventually imprisonment.

Imprisonment? Perhaps, given the jurisdictions that may come after him once he is no longer protected (or perceived to be protected) by the office.

Impeachment? Well, conviction after impeachment (and thus removal from office) requires 2/3 of the Senate and they're saying things like this: https://www.axios.com/republicans-congress-reactions-michael-cohen-guilty-plea-trump-ee281bf3-3ad0-400e-871a-dddcddfedab7.html

dharlow – December 12, 2018 07:37PM Reply Quote
Trump will face no consequences at a federal level either now or after he is out of Office.

tliet – December 13, 2018 12:37AM Reply Quote
I wonder when the American public will decide that it's time for a revolution.

johnny k – December 13, 2018 10:39AM Reply Quote
I thought that's kinda what the 2016 election was.

But what does revolution look like? Violent revolution is not a thing. As long as the parties successfully polarize people to put party over country (or tune out completely), there will never be enough support for a lasting political upheaval. The answer is what it always has been, decades-long consensus building based on sustained pressure from citizens. And money in politics, the root of all this evil, is something that a large majority of Americans (which presumably includes Trump voters) want to see addressed.

John Willoughby – December 13, 2018 11:06AM Reply Quote
The news has been recently highlighting the point that if Trump is re-elected in 2020, then the statute of limitations on many of his alleged crimes will make it impossible to prosecute him after he leaves office. So, pretty good deal: commit a number of incredibly sordid and treasonous crimes, get elected president and be immune from prosecution until you can no longer be prosecuted for your squalid crimes. #MAGA

johnny k – December 13, 2018 11:15AM Reply Quote
If Trump wins again, I'm certain it will be by an even larger negative margin.

ddt – December 13, 2018 03:49PM Reply Quote
Depends on who gets to vote (hi, Kris Kobach!)

ddt

ddt – December 14, 2018 10:52AM Reply Quote
More evidence that Trump is a symptom of the modern Republican movement, not the cause: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/dec/14/epa-adviser-casts-doubt-on-science-linking-pollution-to-health-problems

This is what the party and its funders have wanted to do for decades, and stand to profit from. At the expense of American citizens, including your children. Twisting science processes and facts in order to "get regulations off our backs" so that they can put more toxins into communities they don't live in.

Sorry for the partisan and angry tone, but I don't see how to support this ethically, even in the abstract, and it's all from "one side".

ddt

ddt – December 14, 2018 11:02AM Reply Quote
Same for Zinke, De Vos, and so on.

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login