Spork Boards

Presidential Politics

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 02:43AM Reply Quote
Every election is the most important one.

johnny k – November 07, 2018 08:10PM Reply Quote
Mine too, but it's only a sentiment since the VP only swears in the Senate. The longest serving member swears in the Speaker, and the Speaker swears in the rest.

ARL (Moderator) – November 07, 2018 08:42PM Reply Quote
johnny k
The best news is the 7 governors, 4 AGs and several state legislatures newly won by the Democrats—and in a win for democracy, 3 winning ballot initiatives to institute non-partisan redistricting, 2 auto-registration laws, 2 same-day voting laws, and 1.4 million felons who've paid their debt being allowed to vote again. These are the kind of structural wins that over the last 10-20 years got Republicans to where they are now.

I was unaware of this. That is pleasing.

johnny k – November 08, 2018 12:15AM Reply Quote
Also, turnout for Beto helped get 19 black female judges elected, among others. Lots of impact on actual people.

ARL (Moderator) – November 08, 2018 07:31AM Reply Quote
Apparently there are 6 new congress representatives who have a strong science background as well. That is also sorely needed.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/07/health/scientists-in-congress-trnd/index.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2018 07:34AM by ARL.

ddt – November 08, 2018 08:32PM Reply Quote

ARL (Moderator) – November 08, 2018 11:37PM Reply Quote
Fake news evolves beyond the written word and social media into doctored video footage.

Fake News 2.0: CGI companies will be very busy...

ARL (Moderator) – November 08, 2018 11:44PM Reply Quote

Agreed. I thought it was a stretch when they counted a nurse as a "science background". That said, while some engineers are rabidly anti-science (to basically any non-applied science that isn't their engineering background), there are some engineers who do good work.

ddt – November 09, 2018 10:46AM Reply Quote
Against my better judgment I read Slashdot comments on Google changing its sexual harassment policy and yeah, apparently many engineers are crap at thinking, observation, facts, and awareness.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – November 09, 2018 11:01AM Reply Quote
You’re not going to get much nuance on gender issues at a slashdot sausage party...

ARL (Moderator) – November 10, 2018 11:06AM Reply Quote
I was watching a show (Planet America) discussing the aftermath of the Senate elections and I’m now firmly of the view that the Democrats made a big tactical mistake pushing so hard on the Brett Kavanaugh appointment.

Pity...

johnny k – November 10, 2018 12:39PM Reply Quote
Nah. Democrats can't out-right the right.

ARL (Moderator) – November 13, 2018 05:10AM Reply Quote
Well said, Mr President (Macron):

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/nationalism-is-a-betrayal-of-patriotism-france-s-president-lectures-the-powerful-20181111-p50fes.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2018 05:16AM by ARL.

ARL (Moderator) – November 13, 2018 11:00AM Reply Quote
Wow, and the reply tweet from Donald. Just wow.

tliet – November 14, 2018 01:43AM Reply Quote
Not sure it fits here, but I guess this is part of the culture war and the discussion about hyper capitalism and all that; Baltimore as the first major city to ban water privatisation.

Privatisation meaning; selling hard fought for public property at fire sale prices to the highest bidder who can then enjoy a monopoly. Also; see cable and telephone networks.

John Willoughby – November 14, 2018 10:54AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Hey, sheep must be shorn.

tliet – November 15, 2018 03:25PM Reply Quote
Drain the swamp; yeah right... (as if anybody would be surprised) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HS2TstPfW4&feature=youtu.be

ddt – November 17, 2018 02:23PM Reply Quote
Here's a pretty good breakdown of the "islamic no-go zones" misinformation (in case your crazy uncle brings it up at Thanksgiving): https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and-europe/2018/11/09/debunking-maps-alleged-islamic-no-go-zones-london-2/

ddt

ddt – November 21, 2018 12:47PM Reply Quote
As it becomes time for family gatherings in the States -- does anyone have any relatives who are pro-R or pro-Trump? And if so, what do they say supports their position? How do you respond?

ddt

John Willoughby – November 21, 2018 01:38PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
They do dislike Trump, but are pro-GOP.

They say: "My taxes are lower."

I say: "We are experiencing a collapse of the middle class, the educational system, and our infrastructure, and yet have money for the most expensive military in the world. What will your children's quality of life be, surrounded by desperate, uneducated, and angry people? How would your life change if you paid 5% more in taxes?"

They say: "Why should I pay for somebody else's health care?"

I say: "Infectious disease knows no borders or boundaries; preventative medicine for all can protect us all. My brother, who lived into his forties due to my family's insurance and wealth, would have died in his childhood without those things. Should every American who can't get a salaried job with decent insurance write off his children with chronic illnesses? How can every other modern democracy in the world provide free health care to their people, but we cannot?"

They say: "We need more conservative judges."

I say: Nothing effective. To me it seems like more liberal judges are necessary for balance, even if one does not want to move to the left. My step-mom feels it is a Christian thing, my father seems to just think conservative judges will enable further tax reduction from the government. Seriously, low taxes are his religion.

Nothing that I say matters, just as nothing they say to me matters. My parents are of an older generation, of course, and my brother and his wife are Wall Street sorts. Attitudes will not change on either side.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login