Spork Boards

Presidential Politics

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 02:43AM Reply Quote
Every election is the most important one.

ddt – October 04, 2018 11:40AM Reply Quote
Well, yes, that it's a "own the libs" thing is the cynical and probably true take.

But I'd like to know what the self-described loving Christians, the ones who say society is failing because not enough god, are telling themselves when they're acting this way.

ddt

tliet – October 04, 2018 12:24PM Reply Quote
Would the Christian base realise they are being used as a tool by the Republicans to break down the state and have an enormous feast at the cost of the regular taxpayer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2018 12:25PM by tliet.

tliet – October 04, 2018 12:38PM Reply Quote
Or actually, what would it take to have them realise they are being used?

John Willoughby – October 04, 2018 01:40PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I seriously think that anybody who can still support Trump is gaining power/profit through GOP policies, or thinks that they are, or is in such a strong state of anti-liberal rage that Trump could molest their five-year-old in front of them without changing their stance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2018 01:40PM by John Willoughby.

tliet – October 04, 2018 02:26PM Reply Quote
“The most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly - it must confine itself to a few points and repeat them over and over.”

E.g. Foxnews, or basically every other media outlet that the Murdoch's have laid their hands on. Except the WSJ, of which only the opinion pages are corrupted.

tliet – October 06, 2018 03:06PM Reply Quote
So, the Republicans have now not only tainted the Presidential office beyond recognition, but also have destroyed the legitimacy of the Supreme Court for decades to come. The only solution I see now is the Democrats creating 2 additional positions on the Supreme Court?

James DeBenedetti – October 06, 2018 09:24PM Reply Quote
Supreme Court justices can be impeached by Congress and removed from office. Expect investigations and public hearings if Democrats take the house in 2018, with a public trial during the 2020 election cycle.

ddt – October 06, 2018 10:18PM Reply Quote
That'd probably drive Repub turnout, sadly. Though it certainly seems to be warranted.

ddt

John Willoughby – October 06, 2018 10:53PM Reply Quote
I thought that it took a 3/4 vote of the Senate once the House impeached. Never happen.

johnny k – October 07, 2018 08:22AM Reply Quote
Probably not. depends on what a real investigation finds, and the political winds.

People talk about stacking the court, but how about stacking the Senate? There's not much else you can do about its skew to the few and the rural. DC and Puerto Rico deserve representation and have more residents than Wyoming.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2018 08:30AM by johnny k.

ddt – October 08, 2018 08:58AM Reply Quote
Bookmark this for the next time an uncle claims "the left" is prepping for violence and/or civil war.

ddt

tliet – October 08, 2018 11:16AM Reply Quote
I'll admit the GOP has gotten their act together; they've completely changed the narrative by going into full attack mode. Up=down and black=white and now the accused is the victim.

"The Democrats have become too extreme and too dangerous to govern. Republicans believe in the rule of law, not the rule of the mob."

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1048840600315785217/video/1

edit; this seems relevant: https://twitter.com/1SarahRose/status/826116204301516800

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2018 11:22AM by tliet.

John Willoughby – October 08, 2018 02:21PM Reply Quote
GOP knows that they run the risk of elections starting to go against them, due to their policies. Laying the groundwork to contest them. If they can get 300 nuts with guns to show up and shout outside election offices, then every close election becomes a GOP win.

ddt – October 08, 2018 07:27PM Reply Quote

ARL (Moderator) – October 09, 2018 07:10AM Reply Quote
Whenever I despair over the parlous state of Australian politics (and it is a shambles), I always come here to remind myself how much worse it could get...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2018 07:11AM by ARL.

tliet – October 09, 2018 11:09AM Reply Quote
As I'm trying to understand what's going on in America's underbelly, I follow Fox' Twitter feed. The catch of today;

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/1049684172934193152 ".@POTUS: "The world is really respecting the United States again, much more so than they have in many, many decades." https://fxn.ws/2QBPehY"

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/1049647595654647813 ".@kayleighmcenany: "The left's mob-like tactics are backfiring."

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/1049642510224642049 ".@JedediahBila: "Hollywood is not used to someone in a leadership position on the right that's willing to take them on."

James DeBenedetti – October 09, 2018 12:47PM Reply Quote
This is a big part of the problem.

ddt – October 09, 2018 01:38PM Reply Quote
If you just take what the Republicans throw out as "look at what the left is doing" as what the right is doing but more so, it starts to decypher.

ddt

johnny k – October 09, 2018 02:21PM Reply Quote
Sure. I didn't watch everything on the Kavanagh questioning, but I didn't get any impression of a mob hit squad on the left. The few clips I saw had Democrats asking questions like I remember the Senate hearings used to be, and asking for due process without getting personal, and then a bunch of grandstanding and emotional outbursts from Republican senators and the nominee.

On the plus side, I think this may have finally gotten me off following the news so closely. I don't like the way it makes me feel.

ddt – October 09, 2018 07:13PM Reply Quote
I can recommend Michael Lewis's "The Fifth Risk". Lewis can write. And it's not all pain, like Mayer's also-important "Dark Money"; Lewis really shines a light on some seriously important and cool shit some incredible people do and have been doing in the government -- stuff that actually does things like keeps small towns in the Midwest still alive. Definitely give it to people who think the Fed Gubmint don't do nothing for them.

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login