Spork Boards

Presidential Politics

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 02:43AM Reply Quote
Every election is the most important one.

El Jeffe – February 19, 2008 10:02AM Reply Quote
What a journey.

Dr Phred (Moderator) – February 20, 2008 07:46AM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
Just so you know, not many of us will ever follow a link to that monnie owned paper....

El Jeffe – February 20, 2008 07:55AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
monnie? I have no preconceptions over any article's bias until I read the content. That's one thing I find most interesting in all these podcasts I'm listening to. I could not be prejudiced like you are, against podcasts from The Guardian, The Independent, BBC, etc. I just listen and learn/enjoy as it comes at me. If it just plain out bores me, I'll press next. But it must bore me first. So far this morning, learned about Ottoman Empire, the extreme Turkey/EU politics, Tibetan info, working too long a day in jobs, "Gap Year", how to say "Business card" in Spanish...etc. Just drive through what you see as the chaff.

What a journey.

Madaracs – February 20, 2008 09:29AM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
Dr Phred
Just so you know, not many of us will ever follow a link to that monnie owned paper....

Stop taking crabby pills!!! ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2008 09:29AM by Madaracs.

Madaracs – February 20, 2008 09:29AM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
El Jeffe
monnie? I have no preconceptions over any article's bias until I read the content.

And I read playboy for the pictures!

El Jeffe – February 20, 2008 09:47AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
That's my point. You would not have known whether or not you liked those articles until you scrutinized every inch, right? Or perused it for 3 minutes; whichever came first.

What a journey.

Dr Phred (Moderator) – February 20, 2008 06:54PM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
It's not your link is my first brush with the moonie press. You have to trust the source and I don't.
If you don't care, I won't mention it.

El Jeffe – February 20, 2008 07:39PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I am not in any way misunderstanding what you are saying.

I do wonder where certain types of people all get the same preconceptions and voice them in the same ways. But, I don't wonder enough to do any investigation into it. I couldn't tell you a single thing about what a moonie is. But I do remember seeing some in 1976 trip to D.C. But, somehow a financial relationship with some korean person means they have an inability to put words into articles in a satisfactory manner.

This reporting seems straightforward enough to me. I guess I must be gullible. Well, I wasn't there, and I am not there for 100% of any reporting a read/hear/see in the media.

Bob Geldof has parachuted into the White House travel pool here in Rwanda, and will join us on the flight from Air Force One to Ghana tonight.

He's going to interview President Bush for Time magazine and several European outlets, such as Liberacion, about aid to Africa for HIV/AIDS, malaria, and business development.

Mr. Geldof is an Irish rock and roll singer and longtime social activist who has helped, along with U2 rocker Bono, raise awareness about need in Africa. His most well known achievement is organizing the Live Aid concert in 1985, which raised money for debt relief for poor African countries.

But Mr. Geldof has remained closely engaged with African affairs since then, and he spoke off the cuff to reporters today who were waiting for a press conference with Mr. Bush and Rwandan President Paul Kagame.

Mr. Geldof praised Mr. Bush for his work in delivering billions to fight disease and poverty in Africa, and blasted the U.S. press for ignoring the achievement.

Mr. Bush, said Mr. Geldof, "has done more than any other president so far."

"This is the triumph of American policy really," he said. "It was probably unexpected of the man. It was expected of the nation, but not of the man, but both rose to the occasion."

"What's in it for [Mr. Bush]? Absolutely nothing," Mr. Geldof said.

Mr. Geldof said that the president has failed "to articulate this to Americans" but said he is also "pissed off" at the press for their failure to report on this good news story.

"You guys didn't pay attention," Geldof said to a group of reporters from all the major newspapers.

Bush administration officials, incidentally, have also been quite displeased with some of the press coverage on this trip that they have viewed as overly negative and ignoring their achievements.

Seems like a humanitarian, perhaps liberal in his own way Sir Geldof is just lashing out at the press for not reporting the positive things that Bush 43 has done for Africa. I don't necessarily agree. They will give President Bush 43 his 15 minutes of calm in between the daily dose of infantile count-down timers and Obama Hussein trump ups. But, Sir Geldof seems to think it's still not enough. It's a simple article. Far less controversial than my post, and fairly incontrovertible.

What a journey.

ARL (Moderator) – February 20, 2008 09:56PM Reply Quote
>Bush administration officials, incidentally, have also been quite displeased with some of the press coverage on this trip that they have viewed as overly negative and ignoring their achievements.

Cry me a river. There's been buckets of press about how Bush has been doing some good things for Africa (all while omitting all the cutting of safe sex & family planning programs). The press probably gets a bit skeptical after being repeatedly lied to as well.

He's giving out a few mosquito nets to prevent malaria which in and of itself is a good thing. So to dubya I will say, "Good monkeyboy, now go take another afternoon nap and try not to invade Iran before your term runs out."

Why yes, I don't like the man, how could you tell?

ARL (Moderator) – February 20, 2008 10:23PM Reply Quote
DPBD!

Mokers
Sorry, I am not going to depend on the government for making any sort of meaningful change. If things change for the better, great. If not, then I won't be let down. This attitude I take is called "reality". Now, I am not trying to defend the Bush administration from fucking things up for a long time, but really, I am more worried about an asteroid ending my pursuit of happiness than I am any of the various idiots we put in charge in Washington.

For all my getting worked up about the "issues" all the time, I actually strongly agree with this sentiment.

While I'm very happy John Howard is gone, I'm already pretty lukewarm about K.Rudd (although I was highly impressed with this -- long overdue...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2008 10:24PM by Tony Leggett.

tliet – February 24, 2008 11:03AM Reply Quote

El Jeffe – February 24, 2008 11:41AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Nader has no love for Republicans. He is blinded by his own dream(s).

What a journey.

ghidorah – February 24, 2008 01:58PM Reply Quote
Raise taxes on cavemen. --jw
Agreed Bill. He also isn't nearly as smart as he thinks he is.

stan adams – February 25, 2008 12:19PM Reply Quote
Nader marches to his own drummer -- certainly the things that motivate him to run are not that different than HRC, Obama, McCain, Huckabee or others. They all genuinely believe that their own insights are BEST to be Chief Executive. The funny thing is, given the very stable nature of Congress, the unusual outspokenness and devotion that the Supreme Court has and the size of the general federal bureaucracy I suspect that even if Fidel Castro himself were somehow installed as POTUS there would be fairly little that would change in the daily life of Americans. Sure, in the broad sense, I feel best about "Libertarian" ideal of governance, but even the most hard core supporters admit that the low level day-to-day laws governing the movement of traffic, licensing of cosmetologists, paying of sales tax and hundreds of other things are best left unchanged. At the other end of the spectrum when one looks at how a President Nader would really effect changes in "corporate globalization" he'd basically just shift DOJ resources from fighting the Congress on Guantanamo to fighting the Congress (and their extremelly vocal/clever/flush lobbyists) on traditional "business issues" -- frankly the odds of changing THAT seem even slimmer than getting the "detainees" released...

BTW -- I was thumbing through a copy of Nader's book a few weeks ago. It is a "remembrances/family values" kind of thing and actually kind of touching in some ways (his parents were Lebanese immigrants who owned a resturant), more than a little melancholy (given his complete lack of social life...) and even a little inspiring (one man CAN make a big impact..). I will probably check it out of the library and might even buy it.. http://www.amazon.com/Seventeen-Traditions-Ralph-Nader/dp/0061238279

El Jeffe – February 25, 2008 01:43PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I think Nader has a very HIGH level of belief in his own words; not so sure of the others since there IS money at play. If we ever become more than the two-party system, then people like Naders will stand a chance. Plus, it'd be more fun to have more people to laugh/yell at! :)

What a journey.

morganti – February 25, 2008 02:24PM Reply Quote
Hrm, remind me again what Nader got in 2004's presidential elections??

Thats what I thought...
He received 463,653 votes for 0.38% of the popular vote.

Morg "I think the lefties have learned their lesson... Elections matter." anti

El Jeffe – February 25, 2008 04:22PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Who's the GREENEST candidate going right now? Clinton, Obama, McCain, or Nader? Is there some study group that says? I think the green converts/following are larger now than ever.

What a journey.

stan adams – February 25, 2008 04:49PM Reply Quote
Oh please -- it is a lemming-like marketing phenom. Go to your average Home Depot. Look in the aisle with shower heads. How many of them look like something that was used for the Bishop in the rain scene -- you know " I don't think the heavy stuff is going to come down for quite some time "...

El Jeffe – February 25, 2008 05:25PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
He was a Bishop? I wonder if his putts only went diagonally? ;)

What a journey.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2008 05:26PM by El Jeffe.

Robert Taylor – February 25, 2008 07:57PM Reply Quote
Why wait?

Two words: President Cheney.

Stan, having seen Cantwell close up (as one of my senators), I'm just not seeing it. If anything, Senator Clinton has everything she has to offer, AND would make people happy about a "dream ticket".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login