Spork Boards

Presidential Politics

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 02:43AM Reply Quote
Every election is the most important one.

ddt – March 19, 2019 11:12PM Reply Quote
dpbd: "A market without rules is theft" is a damn good line.

ddt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2019 11:13PM by ddt.

ddt – March 19, 2019 11:33PM Reply Quote
Further notes: not one face in anger or hate. Contrast with, well, you know. And the only time she mentioned herself was when asked directly. Contrast with, well, you know.

ddt

ddt – March 20, 2019 09:47PM Reply Quote
Also impressive: Pete Buttigieg learned Norwegian just to read novels from an author he liked, and can discuss James Joyce on demand.

Seems not qualified for the White House.

ddt

John Willoughby – March 25, 2019 11:13PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Meanwhile, Russian troops are being deployed to Venezuela, and Pompeo vows that the US “won’t stand idly by.” Hijinks to ensue.

ddt – March 27, 2019 09:53AM Reply Quote
Meanwhile, between presidential* tweets, this sort of shit is happening at the Cabinet level: https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/03/26/devos-defends-18-million-cut-special-olympics-funding-while-asking-congress-60

I'm really hard-pressed not to call what's going on at the departments of Education, Energy, Interior, HUD, and so on, just purely spiteful and evil. Please dissuade me.

ddt

John Willoughby – March 27, 2019 10:00AM Reply Quote
Can't. GOP platform is now pure Evil.

ddt – March 29, 2019 09:58PM Reply Quote
I will admit I am impressed in one aspect. This administration* has managed to thoroughly, obsessively, meticulously uncover the most venal, petty, (I'll say it -- unchristian), cruel people with which to stuff all levels of the administration (also see this week's Full Frontal, about one low-level political appointee who managed to kill a successful and money-saving Armed Forces program because immigrants benefitted from it. And they're so smug about it.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/03/ajit-pai-wants-to-cap-spending-on-broadband-for-poor-people-and-rural-areas/

ddt

johnny k – March 29, 2019 10:13PM Reply Quote
I heard Pai on the WSJ tech podcast talking in technical detail about the robocalling problem, and he's a very smart guy. Which makes his excuses for everything else all the more infuriating, because he absolutely is not even fooling himself.

tliet – May 03, 2019 11:15PM Reply Quote
So, the shit show that the world has seen so far, could it be topped?

Yes, apparently it could.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2019 11:15PM by tliet.

ddt – May 07, 2019 08:38AM Reply Quote

ddt – May 08, 2019 11:34AM Reply Quote
dpbd

Aaaand this is Trump's "base". Maybe the NY Times needs to send more Hillbilly Elegy think pieces about understanding these people being critical to the Democratic party's future. https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/qanon-ruined-earth-day-celebration-preparing-jihad

ddt

tliet – May 08, 2019 11:27PM Reply Quote
What I'm more or less surprised about, is the relative ease in which the democratic institutions and processes (including the trias politica) are being upended. I'm genuinely concerned about the impact this is going to have to the world at large. Last time this happened in a major western society, it almost took the world down. And the world had the US (with the rest of the English speaking world) at that time, as a major force in righting the ship again.

I'm hopeful the US' democratic principles and institutions are resilient enough to survive this, but with the underworld now being installed in the highest places of government and the courts I'm not overly optimistic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2019 11:28PM by tliet.

ddt – May 09, 2019 09:42AM Reply Quote
Part of it (at least in the US) has been basic political infrastructure work done by the right for decades. They ran religious-right and other agenda-driven people (I want to say... nutcases?) for school boards ("choice", Christianity and not other religions in schools... see also Betsy "11 yachts" DeVos) and other local offices. These people moved up the ladder to city and state level and this became the norm. Now there's Trump giving them cover for their anti-government and probably anti-democracy work in gutting services, undermining confidence in the very mission of governance, and a general "fuck anyone who's not my family" attitude.

So... don't only put your energy and hopes into a presidential race (yeah, Jill Stein is still a disaster, and looking at the Berniebros who wouldn't vote for Clinton). Donate time and money to local races. Fix state houses. Keep at it. Vote. Get out the vote.

ddt

John Willoughby – May 09, 2019 10:00AM Reply Quote
Apropos of nothing:

Texas lawmaker calls vaccines "sorcery."

Ohio bill would ban effective methods of birth control and require the re-implantation of ectopic pregnancies into the uterus, a medical procedure that doesn't exist.

[ADDITIONS]

Under new Georgia law, a woman who miscarries could be liable for second-degree murder. If prosecutors can prove that she is somehow responsible, she can be imprisoned for 30 years.

A woman who travels out of Georgia to obtain a legal abortion elsewhere could still be prosecuted under the new law, and imprisoned for up to ten years.

(Why are these people so opposed to Sharia law? It seems like they are willing to embrace and extend it.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2019 10:04AM by John Willoughby.

ddt – May 10, 2019 01:21AM Reply Quote
Ha.

ddt

dharlow – May 10, 2019 09:17PM Reply Quote
You all thought The Handmaid's Tale was fiction, it is not.

tliet – May 11, 2019 01:58AM Reply Quote
Are they finally rising up against the terror of the Murdochs down under? https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/may/10/australias-murdoch-moment-has-news-corp-finally-gone-too-far

ARL (Moderator) – May 12, 2019 11:15PM Reply Quote
tliet,

Temporary blip. They own 70% of the press and will continue to be "influencers" for a long time to come...

John Willoughby – May 15, 2019 03:49PM Reply Quote

ddt – May 22, 2019 12:01PM Reply Quote
What the hellll is going on today in US politics?

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login