Spork Boards

Presidential Politics

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 02:43AM Reply Quote
Every election is the most important one.

John Willoughby – January 26, 2019 09:54PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Cloudscout
Tonight one of them said that she thinks Trump is doing a better job than Trudeau.

GARY Trudeau is doing a better job governing the US than Trump.

tliet – January 27, 2019 01:11AM Reply Quote
After reading the Ars Technica story on the Stone arrests one cannot help but paint a mental picture that a bunch of unhinged republican radicals, christian fundamentalists, free-market opportunists and man-children formed a coalition to get in the driver's seat, at-all-cost.

Cloudscout – January 27, 2019 06:19AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
ddt
What don't and do they like?

She started saying that "JT" was ruining their economy. I just let it slide.

ddt – January 27, 2019 09:44AM Reply Quote
Ton,

Ars isn't wrong. Some people have been documenting this process for, oh, decades. Jeff Sharlet's "The Family" is an easy read on this topic with contemporary interviews.

ddt

ddt – January 27, 2019 09:51AM Reply Quote
What gets me about all these peeks into the inside dealings is that it appears that if you work with any of these people, or support them, they can say you're their favorite person -- but inevitably, as soon as you don't do just what they say or appear enthusiastic enough, they'll dump you, threaten you, or otherwise try to shaft you. Maybe it's selection bias, in that we see a lot of it and those we see are prominent. But with all this data, why would you get in bed? Is the lure of grabbing some money or power in the short term that compelling?

ddt

tliet – January 27, 2019 12:05PM Reply Quote
It's like the Sopranos in real life.

ddt – January 27, 2019 07:47PM Reply Quote
Yup. America is the sporting goods store, and this is the bust out.

ddt

ddt – January 28, 2019 08:39PM Reply Quote
What's the _deal_ with Howard Schultz? To my untrained eye, it seems like a case of someone who has been told something by advisors and so cannot see conflicting evidence (including that he does not understand how the Electoral College works), but maybe I'm not getting it?

ddt

johnny k – January 28, 2019 10:14PM Reply Quote
Hey, it worked for the current billionaire in office. The 0.1% are all bored with their Starck-designed nuclear prepper yachts and simply must have this Presidency thing. Seriously, they think if a rich guy as dumb as Trump can do it, they should.

johnny k – January 28, 2019 10:52PM Reply Quote
I think lots of people are taking the wrong lesson from Trump. Meanwhile, people want to hear the literal opposite of vague, feel-good bullshit. I'm voting for the wonkiest, most unlikable candidate with the least media-savvy narrative who won't take corporate money.

And screw this idea that a progressive is too radical for a general election. The majority of non-voters are liberal, and the majority of non-voters are middle-class or lower. A progressive can pull them in. Or do you want to compete for the moderates who can't be bothered to understand the difference between "far right" and "far left"?

John Willoughby – January 28, 2019 11:15PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Vote for your candidates, give money, rally for them. But, when push comes to shove and a candidate who wasn't your choice is nominated, remember: the alternative is Trump.

I will vote for any Democratic candidate in 2020. I will have preferences, but anybody who secures the Party's nomination will get my vote. The GOP must be annihilated at the polls.

ARL (Moderator) – January 30, 2019 11:10PM Reply Quote
Don't know where to put this, but if you're going to shoot someone else in the foot, it's best to not be standing on their foot when you do it.

But ... tax cuts...

tliet – January 31, 2019 01:49AM Reply Quote
It remains to be seen how the Pravda FoxNews responds to this news, but apparently Americans are warming towards the idea of taxing the plutocrats a bit more.

ARL (Moderator) – January 31, 2019 09:42AM Reply Quote
I like Warren’s wealth tax more than AOCs income tax proposal. YMMV.

ddt – January 31, 2019 02:32PM Reply Quote
If there's a special negative carve-out to take enough money away from Peter Thiel that he has to spend his time working for legit concerns to pay off his mortgage, I'd be okay with that: https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2019/01/a-science-journal-funded-by-peter-thiel-is-running-articles-dismissing-climate-change-and-evolution/

ddt

tliet – February 02, 2019 06:33AM Reply Quote
Well, Fox is on it; https://www.foxbusiness.com/business-leaders/self-made-tycoon-why-billionaire-has-become-a-dirty-word#

And surprise; it’s nog the Democrats, it’s ‘other’ people...

johnny k – February 02, 2019 10:26AM Reply Quote
“A lot of things on television don’t show the good billionaires.”

And some, I assume, are good people.

Funny, his son is a buddy of my buddy. Guess they have a palatial estate around here.

ARL (Moderator) – February 02, 2019 08:27PM Reply Quote
Until Elon Musk went full on batshit crazy I though he was potentially a "good" one, but there's not many billionaires actively campaigning to pay more tax.

Warren Buffett kinda, sorta?

ddt – February 02, 2019 08:37PM Reply Quote
I guess I fall into the "luck+drive in area A" != "ability in area B" camp. Especially when "run the government like a business" is both a prima facie and demonstrated failed concept.

That is, the goals, tools, processes, and needs of running a government are largely orthogonal to the same in a capitalistic business. See, in microcosm, the idea of treating students like consumers. Ugh, now I grossed myself out.

ddt

ddt – February 02, 2019 08:46PM Reply Quote
And right now I'm listening to the national Saturday news program on NPR and I can't believe we still fucking have to devote news well time to the "what's all this cold if there's global warming" bullshit. I mean, they have an actual expert giving good information, but this was explained numerous times over the years.

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login