Spork Boards

Click Click Click

ghidorah's Avatar Picture ghidorah – January 07, 2008 11:55PM Reply Quote
his tongue went click click click as his head hit the basket after the guillotine's blade had sliced it cleanly. for a few seconds his eyes blinked and a reddening of the cheeks was noted by the attending physician. the crowd howled in glee...

oh, i'm sorry, wrong topic. click click click is for camera/photo/digital photo discussions which seem to have a place in our hearts.

Originally started by Baha at the old site, I thought it was time we brought it to the new boards

El Jeffe – November 12, 2013 05:51AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Mine is just a lowly 212J or similar. Love it. Love it.
The only thing you might WANT to do is look at the wiki on the internal CPU differences. I've heard the Intel chipped ones are a bit beefier. But mine has not failed me, or let me down. Put those 4TB drives in it and you're done. Hang a USB drive off of it for more non-RAIDed storage.

johnny k – November 12, 2013 10:46PM Reply Quote
I was thinking a 4-bay model - as long as I'm plunking near-computer-level money down, might as well get something that can grow with me for a while. The bit of reading I did (Ars review) noted that the Intel model could stream 4 video streams without blinking, so if the ARM version can do one, that'd be fine. Do you have any apps on it? Are they compiled for both ARM and Intel models?

The other alternative is to press my Mac mini server into duty (currently idle, but maybe I shouldn't go back to running my own mail server). Pros/cons there? I worry that it's less appliance like so I'll have to fuss more with it.

tomierna (Admin) – November 13, 2013 11:59AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
I prefer to have a full Mac as my home server; it lets me run iTunes for sharing on the LAN to AppleTVs and laptops, and I can use AirVideo server to stream to any iOS device with that App installed.

For storage, I'm currently using these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1001226-REG/areca_arc_8050_8_bay_thunderbolt_raid_enclosure.html/BI/1940/KBID/2629

I have 3TB drives, and I'm running RAID5 on two of them. That gives me about 40TB of usable space. I'm backing up the office to my house, and this machine also serves as my Backblaze hub and Time Machine for the house.

Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks Server are cheap, and they really do give you some great capabilities wrapped up in a pretty face. If you don't have port 25 open on your ISP, you can at the very least run the mail server as a large IMAP store, with relaying through an account on your ISP's mail service.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2013 11:59AM by tomierna.

El Jeffe – November 13, 2013 07:38PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
succinctly put

johnny k – November 14, 2013 11:18AM Reply Quote
You are the ridiculous AV wiz, though, Tom. I have a newish Mac mini server (just before Thunderbolt)... I had to pull it from colo because one of the mirrored drives failed. (Does it just drop to the other one seamlessly? Didn't.) I can press that back into service at home. I only really need backups and Plex serving to one or two users. Well, if I give up my dream of running my own web/mail server again, I'll have to do something with this mini.

bahamut – November 16, 2013 10:33PM Reply Quote
I use the Synology constantly. It's much better (at least for me) than a Mac with a file server.

Mine is a 412+, that was the best 4 bay unit for me as of this May.

It has link aggregation, which lets me have double the bandwidth (useful for when I have multiple hosts accessing the Synology), but you need an appropriate switch for that.

Naturally it has gigabit ethernet.

Synology has an iTunes server (I run my iTunes off a Mac Mini with the library on the Synology) as well as Plex which I prefer for movies.

I can access it anywhere in the world with a half decent network connection. So far have watched movies from Ireland and Turkey as well as San Francisco.

Not only is it a file server, but my kids and I play Minecraft on the Bukkit server we have installed on it.

It has a Web server that works fine. I haven't used it much, but if I want, it's there. Easy.

I download NZB and Torrents by dropping the link file in a directory on the Synology.

I store my photos on there in a series of directories that Lightroom accesses but they are also indexed via the Synology's own Photostation so that I can make certain photos available over the net (password protected) as I desire.

If I want to share a file or a directory, I go into the Web interface and select the file, then I choose to share the link. Voila! There it is, with my dyndns address and everything.

I have the Synology as the DMZ host for my Verizon FiOS router but the Synology dutifully notifies me of the five times a day that someone has tried to log in and has been banned forever.

Look for an Intel processor as those have more compatible third party apps.

Unlike shit like Drobo, the Synology just works. I love it.

El Jeffe – November 16, 2013 11:15PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
yes. it has worked very well for me too.
I run Surveillance Station 24x7. SOMETIMES...sometimes... I need to stop/start it to reconnect to one wireless ipcamera. Not sure why. But it texts me to let me know when it disconnects.
I might need to find out about this minecraft server you speak of.
A friend bought Drobo. I think my Synology purchase has proven the better of the two. (this time).
But, I still think they are a bit steeply priced. Especially that the license to add an ipcam to the monitoring is proving to be MORE than the price I pay for the CAMERAS THEMSELVES. ($60 license; $40 camera)

bahamut – November 18, 2013 12:13PM Reply Quote
Is there any way you could get a battery operated camera? I'd like to get one, but I don't have anywhere to plug it in.

tomierna (Admin) – November 18, 2013 07:26PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Your best bet for battery-operated would be to marry a wifi camera with a battery and solar panel. Most of the camera systems run between 5vdc and 12vdc.

Mokers (Moderator) – November 19, 2013 06:56PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Baha, have you tried PoE?

tomierna (Admin) – November 19, 2013 11:29PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
B&H has the Canon 5dIII body on sale starting today. $400 off, 4% reward, free shipping and $160 worth of free accessories.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/847545-REG/Canon_5260A002_EOS_5D_Mark_III.html/BI/1940/KBID/2629

This is the sale I've been waiting for, after I sold all of my equipment!

El Jeffe – November 20, 2013 05:46AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
You look beside yourself with contemplative glee!

tomierna (Admin) – November 20, 2013 08:36AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
I have a B&H shopping cart worth $13k. You'd be contemplative too!

El Jeffe – December 04, 2013 05:39AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Do you like the dF?

El Jeffe – December 07, 2013 10:11AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
bahamut
I use the Synology constantly. It's much better (at least for me) than a Mac with a file server.

Mine is a 412+, that was the best 4 bay unit for me as of this May.

Unlike shit like Drobo, the Synology just works. I love it.

For anyone looking at Synology, I just stumbled upon this info on new models: $160 and $390
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-news/32254-synology-adds-low-cost-and-high-performance-dual-bay-nases

El Jeffe – February 09, 2014 04:36PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Just handled the Oly Stylus 1. Darn that thing takes photos FAST! And 2.8 across all 10x of its zoom.

$700 :(

http://cameras.olympus.com/en-us/stylus

Very impressed.

El Jeffe – February 09, 2014 04:55PM Reply Quote
What a journey.

El Jeffe – March 01, 2014 01:26PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Wanted cheap, small, fast, pocket camera. Been looking for a while. Just bought this Olympus xz-10.

They basically are selling it half off everywhere. And Cameta throws in TEN more things; plus lack of sales tax.

http://www.cameta.com/Olympus-Stylus-XZ-10-iHS-Digital-Camera-Black-81161.cfm

2. Transcend 32GB SecureDigital (SDHC) 300x UHS-1 Class 10 Memory Card
3. Spare Li-50B Battery for Olympus Li-50B & Pentax D-LI92
4. Lowepro Rezo 50 Compact Digital Camera Case (Black)
5. Zeikos 50" ZE-TR26A Compact Travel Tripod
6. Precision Design HDMI to Micro-HDMI (D) Gold Audio/Video Cable (6 ft/1.8m)
7. Precision Design USB 2.0 SecureDigital (SDHC) High-Speed Memory Card Reader
8. Precision Design 6-Piece Camera & Lens Cleaning Kit
9. Precision Design Memory Card Storage Wallet
10. Precision Design Universal LCD Screen Protectors
11. ImageRecall Digital Image Recovery Software

Nice 1.8-2.7 lens. Can take about 10 frames a second in reduced size mode; about 5 fps in full size. super macro down to 1 cm. The 1.8 gives nice depth of field.
The touch screen can focus on subject, and shoot, or lock focus or etc....

Will be nice to have a lot faster SMALL camera for most stuff. Still have the Canon sx-30 superzoom that is nice for distant stuff. And my Nikons for everything in between.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login