Spork Boards

Click Click Click

ghidorah's Avatar Picture ghidorah – January 07, 2008 11:55PM Reply Quote
his tongue went click click click as his head hit the basket after the guillotine's blade had sliced it cleanly. for a few seconds his eyes blinked and a reddening of the cheeks was noted by the attending physician. the crowd howled in glee...

oh, i'm sorry, wrong topic. click click click is for camera/photo/digital photo discussions which seem to have a place in our hearts.

Originally started by Baha at the old site, I thought it was time we brought it to the new boards

Bruce Robertson – June 27, 2012 09:54PM Reply Quote
Yup, looks like it's the Sony RX100 all right.

El Jeffe – June 28, 2012 08:32PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
all you doubters! LOL

tomierna (Admin) – June 28, 2012 09:45PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Pogue makes a faux-pas here:

"(As on any camera, that aperture shrinks as you zoom in. When you’re fully zoomed on this camera, you’re down to f/4.9. That’s still better than the Canon’s fully zoomed aperture — f/5.9.)"

All of my zoom lenses are 2.8 the entire range.

Cloudscout – August 30, 2012 03:07PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I picked up a used slide/negative scanner on eBay that arrived today. It's only 1800dpi but it has an auto-feeder that lets you scan uncut rolls of film/slides.

This has the added benefit of allowing you to scan old filmstrips.

It's a little tricky, though. Filmstrips didn't use the same frame size as 35mm still-cameras. Two frames of a filmstrip fit within one frame of a normal 35mm camera. There are two ways to overcome this, I can manually crop each frame as I scan but that means I would have to sit in front of the computer for a very long time. Instead, I'm letting it scan pairs of frames so I can let it run as a continuous batch job and I'll go in later and split the pairs into separate frames.

The next task will be importing the audio and then pairing it with the still frames in a video. I wonder if I could do a filmstrip projector-style transition effect...

Mokers (Moderator) – August 31, 2012 06:21PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
what model did you get?

Cloudscout – August 31, 2012 07:53PM Reply Quote
The Pacific Image PrimeFilm 1800AFL.

El Jeffe – September 01, 2012 06:02AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I've always had the dream that someone could do high def scanning of my old 8mm films and color correct (et al) them one frame at a time and properly put back into a 'movie'.
Up for the challenge? (LOL)

YDD – March 01, 2013 11:00PM Reply Quote
With the running costs of my Minolta X700 becoming unreasonable, I'm in the market for a new camera (timeframe of six months or so). I'm obviously not tied to any particular system, and I was wondering if anyone has particular reccommendations? I've been doing some research, and the two obvious candidates are the Canon Rebel Txi series (for values of x in the region of 3 and 4), and the equivalent Nikon cameras (the 5000 series, I believe). I know that there are other players too, but I'm not so familiar with Pentax, Olympus, Sony etc. - do those systems have 'room to grow?' I want the "starter kit" to come in at less than $1k, and closer to $500 would be preferable. However, I wouldn't want to spend $500 this year, and decide next year that I should have bought the $900 one, IYSWIM.

El Jeffe – March 02, 2013 02:22AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I'll let others chime in with specific camera, but I like playing with this site...

http://snapsort.com

johnny k – March 02, 2013 10:37AM Reply Quote
Can't say enough nice things about my NEX-5. The range of lenses are steadily growing. I got a Sony credit card at the same time, and now I think I have enough points to redeem for a macro lens. The current model is 2 generations beyond mine. Touchscreen (which normally I'd consider a negative on cameras, but the NEX has very few hardware controls), WiFi (another thing I love love love - I have an eyeFi card). But if you're looking at a traditional DSLR form factor, it's quite a bit different.

johnny k – April 22, 2013 03:03PM Reply Quote
Anyone use a GoPro, especially for outdoor time-lapse? Was thinking of getting an older model and this deal for the latest one came up today: http://slickdeals.net/f/5981774-GoPro-HERO3-Silver-Edition-1080P-Camera-233-Free-Shipping?sdxt0=engadget&sdxt1=2013-04-22&sdxt2=5

tomierna (Admin) – April 23, 2013 02:05PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Yes, I've used GoPros 2 and 3 (black) for outdoor time lapse.

Your biggest problem will be getting power into the thing, and keeping it watertight.

The waterproof housing doesn't allow for external power, and the battery life won't let you do a really long timelapse.

johnny k – April 23, 2013 03:59PM Reply Quote
Is it true that 1 minute is the longest interval? Once an hour would be fine for me, if it lets me go a week without swapping batteries.
Now that I'm reading more, I'm worried about the firmware issues in the Hero3. the 2 would be fine.

bahamut – April 23, 2013 04:22PM Reply Quote
I have a 3. Have not used it much, but it seems fine.

Alan Lehman – April 23, 2013 11:30PM Reply Quote
I'm giddy with excitement. My most recent impulse buy is a used Canon 1d mk iv. It arrives Thursday. I've lusted after one of these since 'round about the time of the mk ii. And at 10fps, I'll likely put >1000 new frames on it this weekend at a soccer game.

tomierna (Admin) – April 24, 2013 09:49AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Yes, johnnyk, one minute is the longest interval natively. There is this: http://cam-do.com/GoProTimeController.html

Cloudscout – April 24, 2013 10:29AM Reply Quote
Alan Lehman
I'm giddy with excitement. My most recent impulse buy is a used Canon 1d mk iv. It arrives Thursday. I've lusted after one of these since 'round about the time of the mk ii. And at 10fps, I'll likely put >1000 new frames on it this weekend at a soccer game.

I'm starting to shop around for a camera to take on my safari in August. Not sure how much I want to spend, though.

johnny k – April 24, 2013 12:59PM Reply Quote
Ooh, thanks, Tom. Exactly what I need. Hackable, even, so I could attach a motion sensor. Guess that would eliminate the Hero3 Silver.

bahamut – April 25, 2013 01:23PM Reply Quote
Well there's the Leica M 240. You could put R telephoto lenses on it.

El Jeffe – May 09, 2013 07:24AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Unless someone really likes the Nikon J stuff, let me know.
But using the Canon SX30 IS last night - the thing drives me nuts. Luckily I took 4 cameras.
Trusty Nikon D50 with 85/1.8 always comes to deliver!

So, what about these two choices? Any better than Canon SX30 IS performance-wise? (time from button press to one or more photos!!!!)

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-PowerShot-SX50-HS-vs-Sony-Cyber-Shot-DSC-HX300

FIFTY TIMES (50X) zoom ! wow!

Or, do I just need to shell out the bucks for a step up from my Nikon D50, get rid of my ORIGINAL AFs (35-70/70-210) that they put out? I have no clue what best deals are out there for Canon / Nikon DSLRs and glass.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login