Spork Boards

Click Click Click

ghidorah's Avatar Picture ghidorah – January 07, 2008 11:55PM Reply Quote
his tongue went click click click as his head hit the basket after the guillotine's blade had sliced it cleanly. for a few seconds his eyes blinked and a reddening of the cheeks was noted by the attending physician. the crowd howled in glee...

oh, i'm sorry, wrong topic. click click click is for camera/photo/digital photo discussions which seem to have a place in our hearts.

Originally started by Baha at the old site, I thought it was time we brought it to the new boards

El Jeffe – November 29, 2010 05:42PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Good deal, imo.

How can it have 4 bids, and still only be a dollar?

tomierna (Admin) – November 29, 2010 07:15PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
I wondered the same thing. Looks like a bug in a bot, as they are all from the same profile. Strangely they happened not within seconds, but within minutes.

El Jeffe – November 29, 2010 07:26PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Does its AI take into account the flooding of the market with new currency, thus devaluating the prior bids? :) LOL

tomierna (Admin) – November 29, 2010 09:18PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Went with a buy-it-now. Thanks to anyone who bid!

Jeff Cooper – November 29, 2010 11:55PM Reply Quote
Was very tempted, but too many purchases for the new house, the kids' birthdays, and Hanukkah to make it possible for me. I'm glad it sold for your BIN price.

Jeff Cooper – December 12, 2010 12:22AM Reply Quote
Samantha opened her Kodak C122 on the last night of Hanukkah and immediately started taking pictures. What an absolute POS that camera is (and I don't mean point of service). Not a single picture even remotely in focus, whether taken by her or by me. And the day after she opened it, it died--won't turn on (it's not the batteries). I paid $45 for it at Large-Mart, and I might as well have just lit the bills on fire (I'll try returning, but I'm not optimistic).

Below is the best of the 30 or so pictures taken with the Kodak, with a comparison picture taken a few minutes later with my Canon A1100is (not even remotely a high-end camera). If the camera I received is at all representative, Kodak should be embarrassed beyond words.

Kodak:

Canon:

Kodak "detail":

Canon detail:

These are scaled and saved at 60% using GraphicConverter; otherwise, they're unedited.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2010 12:23AM by Jeff Cooper.

bahamut – December 14, 2010 01:07AM Reply Quote
If they take it back, try a Nikon Coolpix L22 instead. It's stil low end and $79 at Amazon or Nikon S3000, which should also be roughly that same price. Both are servicable. Apologies for not recommending in the first place. Or heck, Panny DMC-FH1 for $89? They're my favorite brand in many ways (just never ever order direct from them).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2010 01:13AM by bahamut.

El Jeffe – December 14, 2010 05:57AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I like the sweep panorama and wide angle of the Sony W350. Plus 720p video. Not too bad. But not as cheap.

Jeff Cooper – December 14, 2010 05:24PM Reply Quote
Baha, you did recommend the L22, and I got that for my son, but it was about $40 more expensive (although I was able to use a $25 Amazon certificate to cover part of the difference). I thought I could save a bit more money on the camera for my six-year-old and still get something that would produce passable photos--nothing great, sure, but maybe roughly the quality of the $10 disposable camera she used this summer. I know better now.

bahamut – January 01, 2011 01:08AM Reply Quote
Jeff, maybe if it's not too late you could try a Powershot A590? A friend recommended one… apparently they are about $30 on ebay … Quite amazing value he sez.

Jeff Cooper – January 01, 2011 12:54PM Reply Quote
Too late, Baha, but thanks for the suggestion. My ex had an A590, which she "lost," then found immediately after I bought her the tiny pink Sony she wanted for Christmas (this was a couple of years ago, obviously). Unfortunately, she then lost it again, this time for good apparently, just as I was going to suggest she give it to one of the kids last year.

The L22s are working out reasonably well. Small enough for small hands to hold comfortably. Pictures are decent. They can't manage my daughter's utter inability to hold the camera still, but she has a much easier time with the shutter than she has with my A1300is.

johnny k – April 22, 2011 09:46AM Reply Quote
I want to get a decent Micro Four-Thirds/mirrorless camera before we go on our honeymoon (hopefully this summer). I was really tempted to get an Olympus E-P1 for $369. Just didn't know enough to make a decision so quickly. I've been eyeing the Sony NEX-5, which seems popular and good bang/buck, but its own lens system (partially done to minimize noise in video, which I dig). Dunno if I care about that since I don't anticipate collecting lenses, but I want that big sensor.

But maybe a really good fixed-lens compact would be enough. Andy Ihnatko has raved about the P7000. I'm irrationally drawn to the PowerShot SX230 which has GPS and just looks quality.

El Jeffe – September 28, 2011 04:07PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Opinions? First I've heard of this. Looks good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gurU5UVnBuI

bahamut – September 28, 2011 08:41PM Reply Quote
Hmm… have not seen it either. Interesting and different take on things.

How will Canon respond? I certainly did not expect this.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1109/11092120nikonlaunch.asp

I tried the Micro Four Thirds format which was both similar and different and no matter how excited I was at first, it didn't pan out for me. Eventually I spent the big bucks and bought an M9. Very happy ever since.

johnny k – September 28, 2011 08:57PM Reply Quote
I love my Sony NEX-5. I've seen the NEX-3 with a 14-42mm lens for a bit over $300 on dealmac lately, which is an absolute steal. If you've thought about moving up from a point-and-shoot at all, this is a great, low-cost way to get an incredible jump in quality.

Jeff Cooper – September 28, 2011 11:23PM Reply Quote
Here's Pogue on the new Nikon (as well as a small Pentax DSLR). It sounds intriguing.

El Jeffe – September 29, 2011 04:33AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Will certainly need to pick one up and play with it in the store to see.
And that is how I heard about it. Robert's email had it. (d/t Indy store)

El Jeffe – October 03, 2011 04:20PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
24 MP
starting to heat up again
http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/03/sony-a77-reviewed-a-24-3-megapixel-game-changer/

But I think Sony has a hard row to hoe.

Jeff Cooper – October 03, 2011 07:56PM Reply Quote
Seriously, that's a lot of dots.

El Jeffe – October 11, 2011 04:48AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Adobe MAX --> CREATE details from blurs

At the one minute mark, the audience appears blown away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxjiQoTp864

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login