Spork Boards

Multi Media Discussion

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 02:41AM Reply Quote
Film, TV, video DVD, DV, Flash. Put the Multi to use here, folks.

ddt – February 24, 2019 12:17AM Reply Quote
Oh, Rami Malek is a really interesting actor. You haven't watched Mr. Robot?

ddt

El Jeffe – February 24, 2019 12:56AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I only thought he was not a good choice for the role. I was wrong.

ARL (Moderator) – February 24, 2019 07:03AM Reply Quote
Other than being a bit short, he was a fantastic Freddy Mercury. And while the film was by no means perfect, it held together enough to still be quite enjoyable...

ddt – February 24, 2019 10:04AM Reply Quote
I agree it was enjoyable. That's the interesting part -- like a b-level SF or horror movie, it doesn't really make sense or hold up under scrutiny (things just... happen, and immediately), but it's totally enjoyable. I wonder if it would be at all if it weren't using familiar and liked music. I mean, of course Freddie and the boys are right, because we know they're Queen, and Queen was a success, seen in retrospect.

ddt

johnny k – February 24, 2019 05:15PM Reply Quote
I probably wasn't going to see the movie regardless, but it seems a high crime that Sacha Baron Cohen didn't keep the role. He had the physicality, mustache, and the vocal chops.

ddt – February 24, 2019 05:17PM Reply Quote
Interesting. Though there is a closeup of Freddy trimming his mustache with scissors at one point, which I watched closely (as I'd gone a month without shaving and realized that people must have a way to trim in that area).

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – February 24, 2019 07:56PM Reply Quote
johnny k
I probably wasn't going to see the movie regardless, but it seems a high crime that Sacha Baron Cohen didn't keep the role. He had the physicality, mustache, and the vocal chops.

Yep, I wanted to see him in that role too. I think he'd have been great.

tliet – February 27, 2019 01:31AM Reply Quote
Just finished watching the second season of the Deuce. Spending a lot of time in my 20s from '92 onwards around Times Square I just caught the last bits of the scene depicted in the series. My wife spending her coming of age years in the 70s, albeit not in NYC, for her it was also very recognisable. We both loved the series and looking forward to the 3rd season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2019 01:31AM by tliet.

ARL (Moderator) – March 02, 2019 03:59AM Reply Quote
I watched the first episode of that but my amazon subscription expired.

The best thing I’ve watched on Netflix this year so far is Umbrella Academy

ddt – March 03, 2019 12:23AM Reply Quote
As a big fan of both the old Arno Drake Doom Patrol (for its Golden Age weirdness and Preminari art) and the Grant Morrison run -- never got into the 1980s or New 52 reboots -- I'm skeptical about the current Doom Patrol TV series. I miss the DaDa-based Mr. Nobody and think they keep getting Crazy Jane wrong, but by the third episode it's starting to feel a bit like its own new thing and props that they went to (spoiler) .

ddt

El Jeffe – March 03, 2019 05:54PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
8K TVs are becoming more available. Frys is listing them prominently.

Mokers (Moderator) – March 03, 2019 09:34PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
What do you watch on it?

johnny k – March 03, 2019 10:18PM Reply Quote
Four HD NBA games at once. Haha, just joking. The NBA still barely broadcasts any games in 1080. I pay for League Pass and have a 4K setup, and get 720 if I'm lucky. At the distance basketball games are shot, you can't really make out players' faces, which would have a huge impact on getting people into it more.

tliet – March 04, 2019 01:18AM Reply Quote
It's one of the reasons I bought a full hd OLED in 2017, I'll buy a new set in 8 years time when 4K is on its way out and the content providers are just introducing 4K streams.

El Jeffe – March 04, 2019 06:47AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
yeah, I wonder if one can watch two 4K sources. I'd say yes, but who knows?

John Willoughby – March 04, 2019 08:50AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support

johnny k – March 04, 2019 09:49AM Reply Quote
Jesus Christ, Cook. You U2-loving, Spielberg-hugging Old Dad. Not only are you ruining content with your lack of taste, the shows aren't even going to be shipped on time. Isn't that your actual expertise?

I applaud trying to thread the needle between G-rated and engaging (grittiness won't be zeitgeist forever, once Warren/Sanders usher in an era of utopian economic security), but where does this idea that Apple is a family-friendly brand come from? Not Jobs. I hear they have songs about sex on Apple Music.

El Jeffe – March 04, 2019 11:22AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I am/lean towards Cook's side. (Cookie!)
Yesterday's No Agenda podcast, practically under his breath, Adam said something along the lines of Netflix only has highly-violent content. Said in passing. But wife and I mention this a lot, too.
I did end up watching two things on it this week. (ok, first things for year, more like it) Norm Macdonald and Mike Birbiglia. Laughed a bit, but wish I hadn't seen it. Norm looks like Chuck Woolery now.

John Willoughby – March 04, 2019 11:49AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
This whole thing comes across as Apple bigwigs wanted to play at being Hollywood types. It's amateur hour. For some reason I blame Eddy Cue more than Cook, though Cook must ultimately be held responsible for the course things are taking.

It reminds me a lot of the giddy AOL executives after the Time Warner merger, sure that they were going to show the world how content was done.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login