Spork Boards

Multi Media Discussion

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 02:41AM Reply Quote
Film, TV, video DVD, DV, Flash. Put the Multi to use here, folks.

ddt – February 18, 2018 03:09PM Reply Quote
Wait, where do you get new copies of Myth?

ddt

John Willoughby – February 18, 2018 08:34PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
You install the old copy, and then run the updaters from Project Magma. They didn't do the original Myth, but they made a plugin for Myth II that recreates the original game.

John Willoughby – February 18, 2018 09:10PM Reply Quote
This should work for Windows Myth2 (trying now), and maybe Mac. The old Mac installer was classic-only.

John Willoughby – February 20, 2018 02:41PM Reply Quote
Enjoyed Black Panther.

I think Wakanda and Asgard in Marvel's universe are interesting parallels.

Magical technology vs. Technological magic.

Of course, Asgard blew itself up, but every town has its own problems.

ddt – February 20, 2018 11:26PM Reply Quote
Definitely enjoyed Black Panther. Knew that seeing it opening weekend in Oakland would be special, but I hadn't realized how special. Theater was full of people who cared about Oakland and you wouldn't believe their reaction seeing the city's name and local landmarks on screen, at street level. That was part of how powerful the representation was (and the audience was incredibly diverse in skin tone, age, economic class). They cheered every name in the credits. People were so happy.

Sure, it's "let's find power because we're giving money to Disney" on one level, but it's hard to understate what this movie means to many, many people.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – March 10, 2018 04:19AM Reply Quote
Really enjoyed Black Panther.

I did feel a bit sorry for Michonne from TWD having a shaved head (like, did she piss off a producer?)

I'm trying to imagine how that casting/costume discussion went down:

"OK, were going to have an all-female, elite palace guard type thingy"
"Cool, kinda like African Valkyries?"
"Yeah, that's it. Let's go with that. They've gotta look fearsome and bad-ass..."
"So, helmets with horns?"
"No, it's been done. Also, too Nordic."
"Let's just shave their heads."
"Dude, that'll be epic! You going to finish that 8-ball?"

bahamut – March 16, 2018 06:41PM Reply Quote
Did I say I liked the Black Panther? I did. Same experiences.

I had consigned Homeland to be like the Walking Dead… shows I used to watch. And then this season started. Holy shit its good. Best season ever, I'd say. Sorry Quinn, but you were a drag dude. Very, very frightening and good.

El Jeffe – April 03, 2018 07:29AM Reply Quote
What a journey.

John Willoughby – April 10, 2018 12:53PM Reply Quote

Mokers (Moderator) – April 10, 2018 04:33PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin

I don’t doubt that the story The Expanse is telling will eventually lead to greater political independence and sovereignty for the Belt, but I strongly suspect that this will end up being the gift of designated heroes like Holden and Avasarala, while figures like Dawes or Johnson will be marginalized or even turned into all-out villains.

Spoiler - this is not what happens. I love the Expanse, although that may be because I read the book. Without spoiling too much, the first four books deal more with the SciFi ramifications of what they are experiencing. The political comes into it a bit more in each book and is at the forefront. Not sure if the show will get that far, but if that's your thing, it is coming. In the meantime, I am enjoying Shohreh Aghdashloo as much as I can.

ARL (Moderator) – April 11, 2018 12:09AM Reply Quote

In the meantime, I am enjoying Shohreh Aghdashloo as much as I can.

Mokers' "Mrs Robinson"? ;-)

I can't remember if I already said this, but Altered Carbon was outstanding. There's a glut of sci-fi shows at the moment, and most are garbage. This one was not...

Mokers (Moderator) – April 11, 2018 01:54AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Lol. No, I think she is just a great fit for the character. Miller, Avasara and Draper are my favorite characters in the books. Shohreh is probably the best actor on the show and they let her do her thing whenever she is in a scene. Miller, uh, doesn't get many scenes after the first few books and the actor who plays Bobbie is probably the least experienced of all of them, so they don't give her many scenes outside of fighting.

I have altered carbon on my to-dos for sure. Loved Joel Kinnaman since the Killing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2018 01:56AM by Mokers.

ARL (Moderator) – April 11, 2018 08:12PM Reply Quote
I agree she does bring the show some much needed gravitas, a bit like what Mary McDonnell did for BSG.

ARL (Moderator) – April 11, 2018 08:15PM Reply Quote
And this is JM $0.02, but I think Altered Carbon is better than The Expanse.

ddt – April 11, 2018 09:00PM Reply Quote
Aghdashloo is always great to watch, agreed.

ddt

James DeBenedetti – April 12, 2018 12:52AM Reply Quote
I really liked Altered Carbon too, but between the poor ratings for it, Ghost in the Shell, and Blade Runner 2049, it looks like Cyberpunk is not commercially viable as a video / movie genre.

John Willoughby – April 12, 2018 11:03AM Reply Quote
Bring on the Steampunk!

John Willoughby – April 18, 2018 09:01AM Reply Quote

johnny k – April 18, 2018 10:04AM Reply Quote
Sweet. Ugh, but years before this, or Snow Crash, comes out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login