Spork Boards

Multi Media Discussion

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 02:41AM Reply Quote
Film, TV, video DVD, DV, Flash. Put the Multi to use here, folks.

ddt – February 11, 2018 06:39PM Reply Quote
I am unreasonably excited for the Black Panther movie.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – February 11, 2018 07:03PM Reply Quote
It has had good reviews...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2018 07:04PM by ARL.

John Willoughby – February 13, 2018 02:01PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I think that Apple Television is going to be a must-miss channel for me. At least this one might interest the sports fans.

johnny k – February 13, 2018 03:32PM Reply Quote
The comments on that article are especially harsh. They don't care about this particular show, okay. That's why streaming services, or even broadcast channels, have countless shows to choose from. Each time news of a new show trickles out people act like this one thing is Apple's new product that you have to pay for. It's going to be one of thousands of things you will be able to watch on the service. If the differentiator is the exclusive shows, fine, based on a blurb maybe none of these will be good. Or... we could just wait to see what the shows are like.

The other variety of comment is that Apple should focus on X, etc. Maybe, but mythical man-month says they've thrown all they can at existing products, so the problem there is in management, not that they don't have resources. And of course Apple has to branch out into new areas to stay alive. Makes me wonder whether there will eventually be a large transition pain when Apple decides it's a services company, or it'll just continue to be diversified.

El Jeffe – February 13, 2018 06:11PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I loved ST Discovery.

ddt – February 13, 2018 09:14PM Reply Quote
I... did not feel the same way. I'll leave it at that.

However, I really loved Leo Snart (from Earth X) in Legends of Tomorrow.

ddt

James DeBenedetti – February 14, 2018 01:10AM Reply Quote
Why has nobody told me of this? I just hope they don't screw it up. Not that Apple would touch it regardless.

ARL (Moderator) – February 14, 2018 07:51AM Reply Quote
There's a couple on the list of Apple shows that *might* be okay so I'll reserve judgement.

The black company sounds awesome however

John Willoughby – February 14, 2018 12:54PM Reply Quote
Interesting, James!

Mokers (Moderator) – February 14, 2018 05:53PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Is the book series worth checking out? I have a lot of space and scifi, but haven't done too much fantasy since GoT.

James DeBenedetti – February 15, 2018 12:45AM Reply Quote
It's an awesome book (series) - my favorite in the genre. It inspired the old Bungie game, Myth. Imagine a fantasy novel written by a Vietnam War vet. From an interview back in 2005:

Strange Horizons
DM: The Black Company series became very popular among the troops in the first Gulf War in 1991. Have you experienced anything similar during this current conflict?

GC: Yes, as a matter of fact, last year at a convention a guy came in specifically just to meet me. He was in the 5th Special Forces group that was in Iraq before the war actually started, and he had spent a good deal of time in Baghdad. He said the group had one set of Black Company books, and they fought each other over those books more than they fought the Iraqis.

DM: Why do you think the Black Company series is so popular among soldiers?

GC: Well, I'm told that it rings true. The characters act like the guys actually behave. It doesn't glorify war; it's just people getting on with the job. The characters are real soldiers. They're not soldiers as imagined by people who've never been in the service. That's why service guys like it. They know every guy who's in the books, and I knew every guy who's in the books. Most of the early characters were based on guys I was in the service with. The behavior patterns are pretty much what you'd expect if you were an enlisted man in a small unit.

Mokers (Moderator) – February 15, 2018 01:27AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
very interesting. I'll check it out.

johnny k – February 15, 2018 09:41AM Reply Quote
Ditto.

porruka (Admin) – February 15, 2018 12:13PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
James DeBenedetti
It inspired the old Bungie game, Myth.

Source? I'm not challenging, it's just not something I'm not aware of and would like to learn more. Myth is one of the few games I still play on occasion, primarily due to its richness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2018 12:46PM by porruka.

John Willoughby – February 15, 2018 12:27PM Reply Quote
It was written about back when Myth was popular, as inspiration for the folks from Bungie. I remember trying to figure out which was the first book of the Black Company series, and whether or not I would like it at the time; I never read it, though. Sounded too dark for my mood at the time.

Myth ruled, and rules.

[EDIT]

This is one of the games that I'm worried about losing if Apple deprecates its 32-bit API. I hope that the folks at Project Magma can keep it going.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2018 12:29PM by John Willoughby.

James DeBenedetti – February 15, 2018 06:46PM Reply Quote
Porruka, source:

Gamasutra
As the team at Bungie Software put the finishing touches on the Marathon series of first-person action games, our thoughts drifted to bringing our 3D game experience to the real-time strategy game (RTSG) genre. We were inspired by […] books such as Glen Cook's The Black Company, in which gruesome tales of battle contrast with engaging and intriguing characters.

If you don't mind spoilers, bungie.org (not .com) has a list of similarities.

porruka (Admin) – February 16, 2018 02:11AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Thank you, James

ARL (Moderator) – February 17, 2018 08:16PM Reply Quote
A software company recently revamped the original Myst into a new version (although it has some graphics bugs/glitches/bloat).

Maybe they could do the same for Myth and Myth II?

In my head now I've got that voice from the game saying "casualty ... casualty ... casualties..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2018 08:17PM by ARL.

John Willoughby – February 17, 2018 08:33PM Reply Quote
I need to get it running on my gaming PC.

ARL (Moderator) – February 18, 2018 07:10AM Reply Quote
John Willoughby
It was written about back when Myth was popular, as inspiration for the folks from Bungie. I remember trying to figure out which was the first book of the Black Company series, and whether or not I would like it at the time; I never read it, though. Sounded too dark for my mood at the time.

Myth ruled, and rules.

[EDIT]

This is one of the games that I'm worried about losing if Apple deprecates its 32-bit API. I hope that the folks at Project Magma can keep it going.

Wow, my copy of Myth is out of date by several years. I didn't realise all the improvements they've made (like 24bit colour hi-res maps). Woot!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login