Spork Boards

Multi Media Discussion

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 02:41AM Reply Quote
Film, TV, video DVD, DV, Flash. Put the Multi to use here, folks.

John Willoughby – October 10, 2017 02:05PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support

El Jeffe – October 12, 2017 07:07AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Halt was poignant. I liked Gordon's penultimate episode scene.

ddt – October 13, 2017 10:05PM Reply Quote
Did they learn NOTHING from the historical documents from Cincinnati?

https://twitter.com/CharlesPPierce/status/919033591652372480

ddt

bahamut – October 16, 2017 06:58PM Reply Quote
I love halt and catch fire. Also there are auctions for items from orphan black on eBay. Prices are crazy affordable, like if your wife was Tatiana Maslany's size it would be cheaper to buy clothes from the show there.

Also nobody saw Blade runner? I saw it twice and loved it completely. I think it is phenomenal. Better than the first. Ymmv.

John Willoughby – October 18, 2017 12:44PM Reply Quote

El Jeffe – October 18, 2017 01:11PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
In my world, MS would have lost the Windows lawsuit, and google would have lost the ability to promote android OS/phones.

John Willoughby – October 20, 2017 02:04PM Reply Quote
Anybody try Movies Anywhere? I'm having difficulties spotting any drawbacks.

Set up an account and all your movies from Apple, Amazon, Vudu (and Ultraviolet via Vudu), & Google Play are available to play from any of those accounts. (Except, for now, Paramount, Lionsgate and MGM/UA studios.) No subscription, five free movies (not your choice, sadly) on signing up.

No support for buying 4K or HDR through the Movies Anywhere app, but it looks like you can buy direct from Amazon or iTunes and it will be supported from any member vendor that has software that can play the higher quality video. (I think.)

They DO track your viewing and usage habits. 4 simultaneous streams, 2 of the same movie at the same time, download-friendly though the downloads DO time out eventually.

What am I missing? I assume that this must be in conjunction with Amazon, Apple, and Google to be able to read in your library of previously-purchased films. Seems to good to be true, but maybe the first step in consolidating digital movie sales to compete with Netflix-style movie streaming.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2017 02:04PM by John Willoughby.

El Jeffe – October 20, 2017 03:42PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Start from "what are you wanting to do?"

John Willoughby – October 20, 2017 03:59PM Reply Quote
My TV kens Amazon Prime, yet wots not of iTunes video. An' this were true, then verily I might see most of my Apple movies upon mine TV even were my Apple TV far removed.

This seems full well to me, if it be so.

(Sorry, listening to The History of English podcast.)

El Jeffe – October 20, 2017 04:08PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I used to listen to that podcast.
If you like to do "THAT" to your brain, have you partaken in bbc pidgin?
https://www.bbc.com/pidgin
Pidgin minute https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/media-40969682

John Willoughby – October 20, 2017 04:21PM Reply Quote
Pidgin doesn't interest me much. I HAVE thought about learning Haitian creole, though. (I find vodou interesting.) I'm so terrible at learning languages, though, it would probably be wasted effort.

El Jeffe – October 20, 2017 04:55PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
creole/pidgin two sides of same coin.
Friend of mine is a Haitian Creole and French scholar. Published paper on it year or two ago.

John Willoughby – October 20, 2017 05:12PM Reply Quote
Creole is a pidgin learned as a birth language. Pidgin is a learned language. Or so I was always taught.

Very cool about your friend.

ARL (Moderator) – October 21, 2017 12:05AM Reply Quote
John Willoughby

Set up an account and all your movies from Apple, Amazon, Vudu (and Ultraviolet via Vudu), & Google Play are available to play from any of those accounts. (Except, for now, Paramount, Lionsgate and MGM/UA studios.) No subscription, five free movies (not your choice, sadly) on signing up.

No support for buying 4K or HDR through the Movies Anywhere app, but it looks like you can buy direct from Amazon or iTunes and it will be supported from any member vendor that has software that can play the higher quality video. (I think.)

They DO track your viewing and usage habits. 4 simultaneous streams, 2 of the same movie at the same time, download-friendly though the downloads DO time out eventually.

What am I missing? I assume that this must be in conjunction with Amazon, Apple, and Google to be able to read in your library of previously-purchased films. Seems to good to be true, but maybe the first step in consolidating digital movie sales to compete with Netflix-style movie streaming.

From what I can tell this seems really good. One of those "too good to be true" deals. I'm waiting to find out what the catch is.

Haven't signed up yet - I bet it Geo blocks

James DeBenedetti – October 21, 2017 12:22AM Reply Quote
John Willoughby

So basically, you hand over your accounts (passwords, purchase and browsing history, etc.) on all those platforms to Disney so you can stream movies though one app instead of several, and you wonder what the drawbacks are? Do we really need to spell it out for you?

John Willoughby – October 21, 2017 12:56PM Reply Quote
James DeBenedetti
So basically, you hand over your accounts (passwords, purchase and browsing history, etc.) on all those platforms to Disney so you can stream movies though one app instead of several, and you wonder what the drawbacks are? Do we really need to spell it out for you?

I didn't see the place where we hand over our account passwords... thought it might be happening at a corporate level. I'd be cool with Apple interfacing with Disney to share my movies, but not with giving Disney my Apple ID password.

I can't really see any of these guys going along with this if it involved sharing account details as you suggest.

John Willoughby – October 25, 2017 02:10PM Reply Quote

ARL (Moderator) – October 25, 2017 07:44PM Reply Quote
The report claims Apple wants every show it produces to be suitable enough for an Apple Store, as opposed to content with nudity, raw language, and violence. Hollywood producers that have pitched edgier content, such as an eight-part series produced by filmmaker Alfonso Cuarónto, have allegedly been turned away.

Good God, is Apple run by Mormons?

Sell your stock now.

johnny k – October 25, 2017 09:41PM Reply Quote
The Good Place is evidence that nice, safe network TV can still be great. Now, if network TV standards are too racy for Apple, then I guess they're competing with Disney?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login