El Jeffe – February 05, 2016 06:11AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
java is a four letter word.

ARL (Moderator) – February 05, 2016 07:06AM Reply Quote
f*** yeah it is...

ARL (Moderator) – February 05, 2016 07:07AM Reply Quote
*nb f*** = "fish"

ARL (Moderator) – February 20, 2016 08:17AM Reply Quote
Well, it looks like Netflix made good on their promise to clamp down on geoblocking. As of today both the DNS redirect service (unblock-us.com) and the separate VPN service I use both a get blocked out.

You get a message saying “You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again.”

I don't know how to get around this. Game over man.

I might cancel my subscription and sign up with Stan instead.

El Jeffe – February 20, 2016 09:16AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
leapfrog... someone will make the next move.

ARL (Moderator) – February 21, 2016 12:12AM Reply Quote
Hmm... Today I'm getting erratic service. Very weird.

Anyhoo, since I thought I was stuck with the Australian version for the foreseeable future I had a stickybeak at any good content available that you couldn't get on the US netflix.

First thing that stood out was Vikings (all three seasons) which surprised me given it's produced by showtime (and owned by Fox, a big netflix rival).

I then noticed this show, The last Kingdom - which is quite similar to Vikings. It had the red netflix sticker across the artwork/thumbnail indicating it's a netflix original (it's a bit more complicated than that) BUT you can't get this on the US netflix site.

This is disturbing. I thought netflix was making or acquiring netflix branded content with the express intention of making it available worldwide, yet here's at least one example of netflix engaging in geoblocked, restricted distribution practices they claim to want rid of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2016 12:14AM by ARL.

porruka (Admin) – February 21, 2016 12:01PM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.
ARL
This is disturbing. I thought netflix was making or acquiring netflix branded content with the express intention of making it available worldwide, yet here's at least one example of netflix engaging in geoblocked, restricted distribution practices they claim to want rid of.

Even "Netflix Originals" aren't, necessarily, and the geographic distribution rights clusterfuck still applies. Unless Netflix goes all-in for content creation -- production company and all, this is still going to happen for the foreseeable future.

Otherwise, it's still a case of "ooh, you have something cool, can we buy a license to show it? You want HOW much for worldwide rights? What's that? You've already sold what rights to whom? Ok, what rights are available and where?"

The ability for copyright holders to decide how their work is used is really important but framed in a time where it actually took effort and time to distribute worldwide. Neither the laws nor the compensation approach have kept up with the incredibly shrinking world.

ARL (Moderator) – February 21, 2016 08:48PM Reply Quote
porruka
ARL

Even "Netflix Originals" aren't, necessarily, and the geographic distribution rights clusterfuck still applies. Unless Netflix goes all-in for content creation -- production company and all, this is still going to happen for the foreseeable future.

Otherwise, it's still a case of "ooh, you have something cool, can we buy a license to show it? You want HOW much for worldwide rights? What's that? You've already sold what rights to whom? Ok, what rights are available and where?"

The ability for copyright holders to decide how their work is used is really important but framed in a time where it actually took effort and time to distribute worldwide. Neither the laws nor the compensation approach have kept up with the incredibly shrinking world.

That's all fine, and I understand that, even if I don't particularly like it. My problem is Netflix going on with their kumbuya rubbish about how everything will be worldwide any day now when it's clearly not and never likely to be.

ARL (Moderator) – March 20, 2016 02:35AM Reply Quote
More Netflix dramas

dharlow
Not sure how they are going to enforce this for VPN users other than blocking the IPs of the VPN providers which then it becomes a cat and mouse game. BBC has already started trying to block people via VPN and the several providers say via support if it is blocked let them know so they can pull that IP out of rotation. I think it will be easy for them to enforce it for the services just using DNS spoofing though as your real IP is exposed to Netflix after loading the movie.

Also you could always setup your own VPN to a server with a static IP here in the states and stream through that. As it would only be one user's traffic hard to detect.

This is from a while ago but I'd be very interested in advice on how I setup my own VPN with a static IP in the US.

Netflix has clamped down hard on DNS based services. The big ones are permanently blocked it seems or have given up changing their DNS details.

The regular VPN I use (PIA) also gets blocked when I try to play a movie and another VPN (Trust.Zone) that uses open source VPN software (Tunnelblick) the website refuses to even load.

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2016 02:36AM by ARL.

ddt – March 20, 2016 08:46AM Reply Quote
I don't know but I suspect you want to see Elektra.

ddt

Cloudscout – March 20, 2016 10:43AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I'm using PureVPN service at my dad's cabin. It's not to get past any geo-blocking, it's to get past AT&T's NAT service.

ddt – May 01, 2016 09:06PM Reply Quote
As Yahoo -- excuse me, Yahoo! -- keeps sinking, it seems Mayer will get a US$55M payout in case the company gets sold.

So, CEO pay has been justified to me in that CEO is a "high-risk" position.

Explain to me again, what risk this is? I forget.

ddt

bahamut – May 01, 2016 09:47PM Reply Quote
Yahoo!

When was that company finished?1998?

John Willoughby – May 02, 2016 10:51AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
The risk of having too much money to properly administer one's finances.

ddt – May 14, 2016 11:59AM Reply Quote
Goddammit. Darwyn Cooke died from cancer at age 53: http://twoangstroms.com/twoangstroms/2016/5/14/goodbye-darwyn

ddt

El Jeffe – May 14, 2016 01:41PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
cancer continues to suck

John Willoughby – May 14, 2016 01:49PM Reply Quote
Agreed

bahamut – May 18, 2016 07:54PM Reply Quote
Ugh.

John Willoughby – August 01, 2016 01:25PM Reply Quote
Kagi has shut down. If you bought Mac shareware in the 90's, they probably handled the transaction. I hadn't thought of them in years, but I'm sad to see them go.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login