Spork Boards

Bahoot? Kersplat!

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – December 09, 2007 10:56PM Reply Quote
Well, it's about time.

porruka (Admin) – December 01, 2015 05:05PM Reply Quote
The cat has your pipe.
The one thing I see wrong in all the "X will replace Y" arguments is the perspective of WHY the replacement will happen.

On the traditional side of the equation, there's an assumption that features will cause a new form factor to replace the old (which has been Microsoft's MO ever since its original tablets). "The same things you do today, only at different angles!"

On Apple's side of the equation (and I call out Apple here because they seem to be the only ones OUTWARDLY promoting this) is that the things we do will change. iPad (specifically) will be there to enable the new way of doing things. IBM seems to be on this side as well based on their software development actions of late.

These two approaches are significantly at odds with each other and while I can't justify an outright prediction of which will win, I give the nod to Apple because of the iPhone precedent. I'm reasonably confident there will be breakthroughs in how we approach many (though not all) of the day-to-day tasks that currently require the old approach (anything to do with spreadsheets currently is a likely candidate). When those breakthroughs happen, it will be because of completely new approaches to solve existing problems (or even eliminating those problems entirely, exposing new ones) and the systems that are stuck optimizing old behaviors will not be able to migrate.

I could argue that the backpedalling that the Windows experience has had to go through lately is early evidence of this (both the philosophy and the recalcitrance of parts of the current user base, the ones who will be left with an increasingly shrinking relevance as these breakthroughs happen).

El Jeffe – December 01, 2015 07:22PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
still, I LIKE the logic of MS moving towards one OS or user experience across all devices.

bahamut – December 07, 2015 02:54PM Reply Quote
A big shiny pile of biffy doo for Dropbox, which announced the end of Mailbox. Assholes. Why'd you buy it in the first place? It's a bunch of suck.

bahamut – December 08, 2015 09:24PM Reply Quote
Much as I'd like to support the mothership with an AppleTV 4, it strikes me (and my wife) that the display out of the Roku 4 is definitely better. Sorry, Apple. And of course the interface is way better.

dharlow – December 08, 2015 10:10PM Reply Quote
Yes finding the new Apple TV a pita to use. Navigation is a pain give me the old click to move from one item to another back. I have been quite happy with our Tivo though having OnePass is very nice.

John Willoughby – December 09, 2015 11:46AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I am amazed that the developers at Hulu and Netflix put out those crap UI's. I can only assume that marketing overrode their decisions. I'm ambivalent about the Apple TV 4, but I preferred the app UI's from earlier versions of the Apple TV.

ARL (Moderator) – December 15, 2015 10:44PM Reply Quote

bahamut – December 16, 2015 09:42PM Reply Quote
What's yoast?

ARL (Moderator) – December 16, 2015 10:59PM Reply Quote
It's a wordpress plugin to make posts/pages more SEO and social media friendly.

Very handy - until they make one of the key features (writing & editing meta descriptions) a game of UI peekaboo.

bahamut – January 11, 2016 08:28PM Reply Quote
God, it's so sad. David Bowie was the greatest hero for me. Took the day off. Drinking again after a week of not drinking. :/

Cloudscout – January 11, 2016 10:15PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!

ARL (Moderator) – January 14, 2016 11:41PM Reply Quote
A big 'ole biffy shake for netflix:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/technology/technology-news/netflix-to-clamp-down-on-geododgers-20160114-gm6b6j.html

Netflix Schill
We look forward to offering all of our content everywhere and to consumers being able to enjoy all of Netflix without using a proxy. That’s the goal we will keep pushing towards.

And that goal is NEVER EVER EVER going to happen.

Case in point, GOT season six exclusively again only on Foxtel in Australia.

Hmmm... I wonder what else I can use a VPN for.

ARL (Moderator) – January 15, 2016 04:08AM Reply Quote
Just did an experiment.

When I'm logged in as a US customer my Netflix list has 176 titles. When I login as Australian, that drops to 56 (surprised it's that much really).

Fuck you, Netflix - I don't care about arcane multinational copyright restrictions designed to stifle competition.

Why should I pay the same price for less than a third of the range? If I end up blocked out, I'm cancelling my subscription.

ARL (Moderator) – January 15, 2016 04:10AM Reply Quote

dharlow – January 15, 2016 12:00PM Reply Quote
Not sure how they are going to enforce this for VPN users other than blocking the IPs of the VPN providers which then it becomes a cat and mouse game. BBC has already started trying to block people via VPN and the several providers say via support if it is blocked let them know so they can pull that IP out of rotation. I think it will be easy for them to enforce it for the services just using DNS spoofing though as your real IP is exposed to Netflix after loading the movie.

Also you could always setup your own VPN to a server with a static IP here in the states and stream through that. As it would only be one user's traffic hard to detect.

Cloudscout – January 26, 2016 02:32PM Reply Quote
Abe Vigoda has passed away. For real this time.

John Willoughby – January 26, 2016 05:21PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I found out via isabevigodadead.com.

El Jeffe – January 26, 2016 05:42PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
who didn't? I look every hour on the hour... :)

Cloudscout – January 26, 2016 06:10PM Reply Quote
I stuck with the simpler http://www.abevigoda.com

johnny k – January 26, 2016 11:03PM Reply Quote
Also, RIP Marvin Minsky, giant in AI, understanding how our own minds work, even the useless machine. I ran into him once or twice but mostly exposed to his grumpy cutting remarks on mailing lists, such as yelling at people discussing football. He's the kind of guy that future robots will worship as a old god.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2016 11:05PM by johnny k.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login