Spork Boards

Bahoot? Kersplat!

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – December 09, 2007 10:56PM Reply Quote
Well, it's about time.

El Jeffe – November 28, 2017 10:53PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Should have never broke up Ma Bell!

Cloudscout – November 28, 2017 11:54PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
bahamut
Also something is very wrong with amazon. Of ten orders in the last week (some were split up), 3 have been delayed, One permanently lost. another $800 item may be lost. What gives?

Here is something a friend of mine posted on FB last Wednesday:

Yesterday I was expecting an Amazon.com delivery of a small part I need for the cruise next week. The Amazon tracking page says it was delivered and handed to a resident, but that isn't true. I look all around the outside of the house to see if the driver left it at a different door, but I found nothing.

Then this morning I found this post on the Richfield, MN Community Facebook page:

"Yesterday I had a delivery from Amazon. What was unique about this delivery was that it was tossed into the middle of my front yard along with five other packages that were not mine. Those packages had addresses along Columbus Av from 66th to 72nd. I called Amazon to see if they would come and pick up these packages and get them to their rightful owners..... and possibly fire the delivery person(!) who caused this mess. I was told to either throw the packages away or keep them for myself as they don't pick up and re-deliver any packages! I think that solution is ridiculous and will try to drop these boxes/bags at the correct addresses today."

He contacted that person and, sure enough, his package was one of those five packages tossed in the person's front yard.

John Willoughby – November 29, 2017 12:47AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I've had Amazon start bundling different orders of mine into one shipment. Not generally a problem, now that I know to look for multiple items in the packages, but I have also had Prime deliveries delayed a day, apparently just to add an item ordered later. Less OK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2017 12:48AM by John Willoughby.

El Jeffe – November 29, 2017 04:47AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
again, among the multitude of reasons, this is why we've had for decades a (Mailboxes etc) The UPS Store 'mailbox'/po Box.
People being paid to receive our packages. I have not wasted one brain cell for decades worrying about HOME DELIVERY of anything.

johnny k – November 29, 2017 10:43AM Reply Quote
You can probably blame that "delivery" on the fact that Amazon is contracting random people to deliver instead of UPS now. Still a little creepy when a blank van pulls up to either give me a package or to steal my dog.

John Willoughby – November 29, 2017 01:11PM Reply Quote
Apple's released a fix for the root security issue. All's QA'd that ends QA'd.

John Willoughby – November 29, 2017 01:12PM Reply Quote
johnny k
You can probably blame that "delivery" on the fact that Amazon is contracting random people to deliver instead of UPS now. Still a little creepy when a blank van pulls up to either give me a package or to steal my dog.

I was going to mention that, but I wasn't sure how general my experience was. I think that Amazon's getting a little ridiculous in their efforts to cut margins.

Mokers (Moderator) – November 29, 2017 01:38PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I am guessing I use Amazon more than others. Amazon has really tried to expand what is available for two day delivery. I think that the USPS couldn't guarantee the volume that they wanted on the days that they wanted (think weekends), so they started expanding. Part of the confusion is that there is a lot of variability in who is doing that last mile delivery. I can have things from Amazon coming from different people at the same time. I think Amazon is going to slowly start expanding using their own internal service (the blank grey vans), not to be confused with their on demand service (random people's cars). People delivering from Amazon are now starting to take pictures of the delivery on my doorstep.

As for bad delivery, I only think that is a problem if Amazon doesn't replace or refund the item. I have only had a problem with a package not arriving a few times, and every time Amazon has asked if I want a refund or re-delivery. For me, that works. I think a more serious problem was something that was happening last year. They were using USPS for a lot of things and a lot of stuff would be listed as in transit with the most recent update always being "carrier shipping facility". There was no good remedy because they didn't have a good way to track things still in transit (my guess) especially at USPS. So I think they have shifted their delivery model that may increase the problems that they are good at dealing with (refunding or replacing items that you never receive) from problems that they weren't good at dealing with (tracking in transit items at various vendors). Definitely a tradeoff, but I definitely prefer the changes they have been making to delivery recently.

Roger – November 29, 2017 04:31PM Reply Quote
> As for bad delivery, I only think that is a problem if Amazon doesn't replace or refund the item.

Agree that they're generally nice about fixing it when they fuck up (which in my experience too is happening more in the last year or two with the weird in-house AMZL deliveries), but sometimes you really do need the thing right then, not a replacement two-three more days from then. I've had really annoying experiences with boxes going missing with, like, a tool I needed to do a specific job on a specific day.

John Willoughby – November 29, 2017 08:02PM Reply Quote

dharlow – November 30, 2017 08:55AM Reply Quote
I think Apple is having brain drain too, I know a whole set of folks who retired early from Apple because basically all those options they got over the last 20-30 years were now worth millions and as one told me it did not make financial sense to work there any more.

John Willoughby – December 01, 2017 12:20AM Reply Quote
If you notice that file sharing is broken after applying the fix for the root escalation, here's a fix.

Here's another one. Christ, I can't believe I post this without much irony intended.

[EDIT] Apple has revved their security update to automatically run the script above, so it you get the update now you shouldn't see the problem. Shouldn't. Really. Shouldn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2017 12:23AM by John Willoughby.

El Jeffe – December 01, 2017 04:57AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
you JOKER!!!!
Here's another one indeed.

ARL (Moderator) – December 01, 2017 07:07AM Reply Quote
So, stick to Seirra would be prudent advice?

John Willoughby – December 01, 2017 11:09AM Reply Quote
I don't think that I'm a good advisor on any OS these days. Snow Leopard would be my recommendation.

ARL (Moderator) – December 01, 2017 08:11PM Reply Quote
Forever!

John Willoughby – December 02, 2017 12:16AM Reply Quote

Roger – December 02, 2017 02:18PM Reply Quote
iOS 11 crashes constantly with some apps installed… when the date is December 2nd. More impressive software QA.

John Willoughby – December 02, 2017 04:20PM Reply Quote
It's the Perfect iStorm.

johnny k – December 02, 2017 04:43PM Reply Quote
My Mac has been rrrreally slow today. UserEventAgent pegging. Reboot didn't help. I set the clock back a day, and coincidentally, it stopped.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login