Spork Boards

WWDC

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 02:38AM Reply Quote
A thread for the World Wide Developer's Conference.

peter – June 08, 2010 09:05AM Reply Quote
Said it before -say it again. Video calls will be big - much bigger than most expect. I've seen the power, even on primitive systems with endpoints scarce as hen's teeth. Even Bahamut will be using it. Or come back here in 3 yrs and tell me otherwise.

Not much will happen until LTE, but starting then and rising fast you'll see one heck of an exponential growth curve. Carriers will use VC to pay for LTE and get us to consume data. We WILL pay by the bit by then - I'm more certain of that than death. Any carrier who tries to resist the tide and offer an all-you-can-eat data plan will be knocked over so fast by the 350lb bikers pushing their way in the door that he won't know what hit him. The incumbents will hang together and hold firm -- no net neutrality on their networks.

VC standards are still up for grabs (and complicated beyond my understanding both technically and politically), but by putting FaceTime in the iPhone as a standard feature, Apple has made itself the 600 lb gorilla. In a year they could have more FaceTime endpoints than everyone else's combined. What that will mean for interoperability, I think, it's still to early to say.

Mokers (Moderator) – June 08, 2010 09:25AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
A lot of original iphone owners who didn't see the 3G or 3Gs features as reason to upgrade will get on board now, as will a lot of people who didn't think the 3gs was enough of an improvement over their 3g or want the features in iOS 4. I think it will sell plenty.

porruka (Admin) – June 08, 2010 10:05AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
re: FaceTime - there was a brief mention in one of the liveblogs about FaceTime being set up as an open standard today. Anyone have more info on that yet?

Mokers (Moderator) – June 08, 2010 11:08AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I think they said apple wanted to offer it to phone companies. I would like them to start by building it into iChat.

porruka (Admin) – June 08, 2010 11:30AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Again, 3rd hand (memory <- summary from attendee <- actual statements), the "carrier support" was more about dealing with bandwidth. At least that's what it seemed (why it's wifi only right now)

John Willoughby – June 08, 2010 03:28PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Safari 5.0 extensions, some still in-progress here.

At last, I can have my reload button back! I missed it so...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2010 03:33PM by John Willoughby.

El Jeffe – June 08, 2010 04:01PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I'm happy they stopped calling it the iPHONE os.

peter – June 08, 2010 06:19PM Reply Quote
porruka
Again, 3rd hand (memory <- summary from attendee <- actual statements), the "carrier support" was more about dealing with bandwidth. At least that's what it seemed (why it's wifi only right now)

I'm not positive, but yeah from the carrier standpoint it's about bandwidth. I think the carrier is roughly equivalent to the MAC layer. But for devices to interoperate, which matters a lot, it's about standards.

PC magazine quotes Jobs as saying what I recall from reading Mac Rumors live blog: "Apple will also take the product to standards bodies starting tomorrow so that FaceTime can become an open industry standard". But I couldn't find any subsequent mention of what standard or what standards body or bodies that refers to. Facetime as reported rests on a bedrock foundation of well established open standards: H.264, ACC, and the IETF protocols SIP, RTP/SRTP, ICE. I'm curious what Facetime brings to that table.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2010 06:21PM by peter.

Mokers (Moderator) – June 09, 2010 12:26PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
John Willoughby
Safari 5.0 extensions, some still in-progress here.

At last, I can have my reload button back! I missed it so...

http://www.sweetpproductions.com/extensions/extensions.htm

Saved sessions in Safari!

and adblock!

http://safariadblock.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2010 12:31PM by Mokers.

johnny k – June 09, 2010 02:29PM Reply Quote
Mokers
Saved sessions in Safari!

How is this different from "Reopen All Windows from Last Session"?

Mokers (Moderator) – June 09, 2010 03:50PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Because it opens the tabs automatically without further interaction on your part.

ddt – June 10, 2010 08:21AM Reply Quote
the only time safari 5 has crashed for me was when trying to look at the product pages at http://www.schindelhauerbikes.com/ (I sooooo want one of those bikes...).

the installing and enabling process for plugins could be more transparent, though.

ddt

stan adams – June 10, 2010 11:22AM Reply Quote
Gorgeous bike, no US dealers? I can only imagine what the cost might be ...

And their flash-site is a data-mess-and-a-half ...

El Jeffe – June 10, 2010 07:26PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Why do they make single gear bikes?

stan adams – June 10, 2010 07:48PM Reply Quote
El Jeffe
Why do they make single gear bikes?

Single speed bikes makes lots of sense, after all pretty much all kid's bikes are that type.

Fixies are harder to justify, yes I fully grok the potential benefits to improving balance / pedaling technique, but the safety downsides of having a fixie that is not on a "closed course" seem rather large...

I guess the questions could be turned around "Why make bikes with freewheels?" "Why make multispeed bikes?" and I think the answer is that freewheels make thinks safer, more comfortable and versatile, not sure multi-speeds are really safer, but I will say that they are potentially more efficient as well as comfortable / versatile...

El Jeffe – June 10, 2010 08:10PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I guess I don't know the difference between single and 'fixies'?

Well, ANY BIKE after the Schwinn Stingray was futile. Case closed.

John Willoughby – June 10, 2010 09:17PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I had one of those. Green.

ARL (Moderator) – June 11, 2010 12:48AM Reply Quote
Mine was pink with a flower basket on the front...

El Jeffe – June 11, 2010 04:52AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Did you get de-flowered?

stan adams – June 11, 2010 10:11AM Reply Quote
fixie = no freewheel so that if the bike is moving so is the whole drive train, chain, chain ring, pedals. Means that STOPPING generally has to be PLANNED FOR well in advance of needing to do so, thus "sudden changes in velocity" often result in nasty loss of control

single speed -> you can COAST and thus changes in velocity can be accomplished without shocking your legs / body into a dangerous condition.

Additional down sides of fixies -- extremely challenge to keep feet on pedals and balance bike at stopped / very low speed, similarly difficult to take feet off pedals and balance while rolling bike a bit as pedals have tendancy to whack one's calves and/or achilles tendon area.

I think unicycle would probably do more to encourage balance...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login