Spork Boards

What sells computers most?

ghidorah's Avatar Picture ghidorah – December 09, 2007 09:50PM Reply Quote
thats right--games.

John Willoughby – November 21, 2016 11:12AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support

ddt – November 21, 2016 01:54PM Reply Quote
Huh. I haven't gone through all the touchbar HIG but hadn't occurred to me it'd have access to sound (not sure it does?).

ddt

porruka (Admin) – November 21, 2016 03:53PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
ddt
Huh. I haven't gone through all the touchbar HIG but hadn't occurred to me it'd have access to sound (not sure it does?).

ddt

I haven't looked at the API but I expect the sound is coming from the Mac proper; the TouchBar is really acting like a 2nd display.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2016 03:53PM by porruka.

James DeBenedetti – November 24, 2016 02:21PM Reply Quote
Someone ran the Passmark 3D graphics benchmark for their Radeon Pro 460 and got 3534, so it's roughly 10% slower than the GTX 970m in John's (previous gen) Razer Blade. Not bad, considering it only uses about 1/3 as much power.

ARL (Moderator) – December 31, 2016 02:44AM Reply Quote
This looks cheerful:

http://orwellgame.com/

John Willoughby – January 09, 2017 11:17AM Reply Quote

ddt – January 13, 2017 12:56AM Reply Quote
So, Nintendo Switch. Thoughts?

ddt

John Willoughby – January 13, 2017 01:33AM Reply Quote
I need to see the specs. What I read said that it's not even going to be as powerful as a PS4 (which is three years old, now). That's disappointing, but not a deal-breaker. Need to see the price, games at launch, etc. I still can't get an NES Classic Edition, so I am not sanguine about availability for the Switch.

[EDIT]
Available for pre-order now (Best Buy and Walmart). $299. Too rich for my blood, at least until I learn more.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2017 01:37AM by John Willoughby.

John Willoughby – January 13, 2017 12:25PM Reply Quote
Good summary here, but still not detailed specs. Skyrim coming though, as was foretold in prophecy, which is nice.

ARL (Moderator) – January 13, 2017 07:03PM Reply Quote
Did anyone see the re-released retro Atari 2600s around Christmas time?

They looked awesome.

Roger – January 16, 2017 06:12PM Reply Quote
ddt
So, Nintendo Switch. Thoughts?

1. bafflingly poor communication about what it actually is and does, floor wax/dessert topping-style
2. why the hell are they still a hardware company at all
3. their IP puts a floor under their shitty consoles' sales — the "I'll buy whatever I can play Zelda and Mario on" market — so they may keep stumbling on like this for another decade before they have to wise up

Mokers (Moderator) – January 17, 2017 11:35AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Zelda licensed for PS4 and Xbox might make more than the total sum of all switch software sales. I love Zelda, but I am many years away from being able to have time for a second console.

ddt – January 17, 2017 12:48PM Reply Quote
Hm, is what we see (the few game consoles, and our awareness of N.Am. and maybe Japan sales) all Nintendo gets for revenue out of their game hardware? Asking because this echoes the "Apple should license their OS like Microsoft does" talk and I'm wondering if we see the whole picture of what Nintendo is as a company.

ddt

Mokers (Moderator) – January 17, 2017 02:19PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Perhaps, but more like Apple should release Pages for Windows. Or, perhaps more apt, why does Microsoft continue trying to make a phone when they have been so poor for so long with it.

Roger – January 17, 2017 05:09PM Reply Quote
ddt
Hm, is what we see (the few game consoles, and our awareness of N.Am. and maybe Japan sales) all Nintendo gets for revenue out of their game hardware?

IDK, I just spent like three seconds googling this and I'm nobody's idea of an MBA but it looks like their revenue from consoles and from software is approximately equal (both on the home and handheld sides) and has been for at least several years. I assume software is substantially higher margin too, but even leaving that out, doubling software revenue by going cross-platform seems easily doable to me. I guess this is all omitting subscription services, which may well be their long-term reason for staying in the platform business.

John Willoughby – January 19, 2017 02:37PM Reply Quote

ddt – January 19, 2017 03:35PM Reply Quote
Saw that, thought of you. Or should I say I had waking nightmares indistinguishable from reality about you?

ddt

John Willoughby – January 19, 2017 08:08PM Reply Quote
Why not both?

ddt – February 17, 2017 11:44AM Reply Quote
The new Humble Bundle is amazing, and proceeds go to great organizations: https://www.humblebundle.com/freedom

ddt

John Willoughby – February 17, 2017 11:49AM Reply Quote
I picked it up Wednesday. Lots of games, most of which I'll never play, but good causes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login