Spork Boards

What sells computers most?

ghidorah's Avatar Picture ghidorah – December 09, 2007 09:50PM Reply Quote
thats right--games.

John Willoughby – November 07, 2016 01:11PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I have a couple of games bouncing around my head that I always tell myself that I will write whenever life gives me a stress-free interval. (Probably wishful thinking, given that I've had decades to write them and haven't, yet.) Somebody pulled one of them out of my brain and implemented it for Windows, Linux, and an untested-on-Mac Java jar.

A galactic empire simulator. Just set it up and let it run. If you want to, you can enter the game and take control of an empire, but you can also just watch history flow over millennia. Every now and then, some particularly successful empire will "transcend," leaving this phase of existance and creating an enormous power vacuum that lesser civilizations rush to fill. (After 158 millennia only 8 civilizations have transcended in my first game.) There's a lot of lesser detail that I can't figure out, because I am at work and letting it run hands-free. Cost: $2. If you have ANY interest in anything I've said, it's worth the money. (Current largest empire: Phobic Stik Authority, with 110 systems.)

John Willoughby – November 07, 2016 01:14PM Reply Quote
Oops, the Phobik Stik Authority has transcended after 23 millennium. You will be remembered, O Phobik Stiks.

Mokers (Moderator) – November 07, 2016 03:30PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Looks very cool. I liked these two comments from that article:

Freud says:

In the end entropy wins.

Hedgeclipper says:

Dude! Spoiler Warning!

ARL (Moderator) – November 07, 2016 09:11PM Reply Quote
Can you shake things up with the odd strategically placed singularity or worm-hole?

John Willoughby – November 08, 2016 10:38AM Reply Quote
Again, just running it in fishbowl mode, but I see entire sectors depopulated, "meteor" streaks passing through the galaxy destroying life in any system they hit, and there are various mega-weapons deployed and eliminated. For $2 US how could you go wrong?

James DeBenedetti – November 18, 2016 01:02AM Reply Quote
I got tired of the funky keyboard, tiny trackpad, matte screen, and size/weight of the Alienware, so I returned it and bought a new 15" MBP with the 460 GPU. It's much faster and quieter than my old 2015 MBP 15" with the M370X GPU. It can actually run BF1, even though it probably doesn't meet the minimum specs.

johnny k – November 18, 2016 02:08AM Reply Quote
Nice! What's funky about the Alienware keyboard, that the new MBP keyboard is better? I haven't gotten a chance to use it, but I think I'm one of the people who are fine with that kind of action.

Other impressions? Weight, Touch Bar?

ddt – November 18, 2016 02:17AM Reply Quote
Does the fan start to whir up at points? If so, what does it? And what did that on your 2015?

ddt

James DeBenedetti – November 18, 2016 03:25AM Reply Quote
The Alienware keyboard is like the old laptops where keys taper at the edges and almost touch each other rather than the distinctly individual squares we have now (which I prefer). Also, the different sections (macro keys, delete and page up/down keys, number pad, etc.) don’t have much separation from the normal keys, so I had to keep looking at the keyboard to find things (though muscle memory may have solved this in time). Finally, the entire keyboard seemed lower than the rest of the laptop – like I was digging into it instead of typing on top of it. Lots of people seem to like it though, so I’d say it’s mostly down to personal preference.

Right now, I prefer the old MBP keyboard to the new one (it doesn’t seem to register keypresses as well), but this may change with practice. Weight wise, the new 15” feels like the old 13”, which is nice. I haven’t done much with the touch bar – I’m mostly installing apps, digging up old serial numbers, wrestling with Apple’s auto-configuring email client, etc. – but it seems to work fine.

The fans are a lot quieter on the new model – maybe half the volume at full tilt, and a lot less frequent. With the old laptop, it was driven by games and random odd things (Flash?). Now it’s pretty much just games, though I’ve only had it for a bit over a day, so I don’t have a lot of experience to draw upon.

Basically, it’s a really nice upgrade for people (like me) who want to play modern games on a portable Mac and hate fan noise, but maybe not worth the price of admission for people who don’t care about those things.

ARL (Moderator) – November 18, 2016 05:13AM Reply Quote
The fan noise on the old one was so loud I worried I was melting down my CPU (Is 90˚C hot for a CPU?)

John Willoughby – November 18, 2016 10:52AM Reply Quote
Please keep us posted on game performance. I'm sticking with my Razer for at least the next year or two, but if MBP's are actually decent for gaming, I'd like to know.

I don't imagine that you play WoW, but you might want to start a free account just to see how Metal performs. It literally took the game from not-worth-playing on Windows to acceptable on my MacBook, which is below the minimum specs for the game. I really hope other developers use Metal, right now I don't know any other significant games that do.

porruka (Admin) – November 18, 2016 11:18AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
iOS games with Metal: https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewFeature?id=906457905&mt=8&ls=1

Apparently one of the keynote games from the Metal announcement/2015 still isn't released yet (Fortnite): https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/game which would suggest that games may still be retooling for Metal.

John Willoughby – November 18, 2016 11:31AM Reply Quote
iOS gaming doesn't really speak to me, beyond an occasional game of Plague, Inc.

porruka (Admin) – November 18, 2016 11:47AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
John Willoughby
iOS gaming doesn't really speak to me, beyond an occasional game of Plague, Inc.

I didn't figure it specifically would -- the main reason I added that is because there are often families of games; Metal on iOS might indicate Metal (or coming soon) on macOS. Since I don't play games to speak of, it was really a starting point for the remaining reader-responsible exercise.

John Willoughby – November 18, 2016 12:03PM Reply Quote
I don't exercise, as a reader or otherwise.

ARL (Moderator) – November 18, 2016 07:52PM Reply Quote
John Willoughby
I don't exercise, as a reader or otherwise.

lol...

James DeBenedetti – November 18, 2016 10:47PM Reply Quote
John, I have no interest in WOW, but some reddit user tracked his fps:

SoupThatIsTooHot on Reddit

World of Warcraft on 460:
2550x1880; graphics 5: average 40 FPS in Dalaran
1650x1050; graphics 5; average 70 FPS

I know Deus Ex: Mankind Divided will use Metal.

Oh, and a whole bunch of C=64 games too.

John Willoughby – November 18, 2016 10:51PM Reply Quote
I wonder if that is an avatar of our lost SoupIsGoodFood.

I wasn't pitching WoW to you as entertainment, it was just the only example of a complex, Metal game that I knew of. Thanks for the info.

bahamut – November 20, 2016 01:20PM Reply Quote
A casual Internet search suggests that it is a young fellow from Nutley, not a middle aged man (likely still) living in RI. Alas.

John Willoughby – November 20, 2016 03:43PM Reply Quote

Sorry, I've always found references to Nutley funny. Particularly since there was a Nutley in Northern Virginia that I often drove past. Just a funny name for a town...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login