Spork Boards

AAPL.O

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 02:37AM Reply Quote
Talk about industry stock market mumbo-jumbo here.

John Willoughby – January 27, 2016 12:49AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Cloudscout
I start fearing a Diamond Age-style scenario where people become less and less literate as they grow dependent on simple pictogram interfaces.

Exactly. The more Apple focuses on the happy/shiny the less attention they give to the fast/powerful.

ARL (Moderator) – January 29, 2016 07:35PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

John Willoughby – January 29, 2016 09:51PM Reply Quote
I agree more-or-less with Gruber.

ARL (Moderator) – January 30, 2016 07:34PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I missed this bit in the article:

Knight says he and many of his friends value lifestyle over salary. “I’m the kind of person who likes to show up to work sometimes at 11, or maybe work from home one day. And Apple’s not the place you can do that,” Knight said.

Somebody call the Waaahmbulance...

John Willoughby – January 30, 2016 09:14PM Reply Quote
"His specialty was alfalfa, and he made a good thing out of not growing any. The government paid him well for not growing any. Thee government paid him well for every bushel of alfalfa he did not grow. The more alfalfa he did not grow, the more money the government gave him, and he spent every penny he didn't earn on new land to increase the amount of alfalfa he did not produce. Major Major's father worked without rest at not growing alfalfa. On long winter evenings he remained indoors and did not mend harness, and he sprang out of bed at the crack of noon every day just to make certain that the chores would not be done. He invested in land wisely and soon was not growing more alfalfa than any other man in the country."

Sorry, I was just irresistibly reminded of this passage.

ARL (Moderator) – January 31, 2016 08:15AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Catch 22?

John Willoughby – January 31, 2016 09:50PM Reply Quote
Yes. It doesn't really apply here, but what the hell.

ARL (Moderator) – February 01, 2016 03:12AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Must re-read that book.

Netflix has made me illiterate...

ARL (Moderator) – February 03, 2016 02:49AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Ok, not Apple related but can someone explain this to me?

https://abc.xyz/investor/news/earnings/2015/Q4_google_earnings/index.html

Alphabet/Google's quarterly revenue is roughly the same as Apple's net profit.

Or put another way, Alphabet/Google's revenue and net profit are both a third that of Apple's yet Google now has a higher market cap?

That doesn't add up...

El Jeffe – February 03, 2016 05:05AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I think Apple hurts itself by (at least publicly) not going along with goverment/s.

John Willoughby – February 03, 2016 11:14AM Reply Quote
Wall Street is all about growth. "What are you doing for me today" matters a lot less than "What will you be doing for me tomorrow." They don't see any more miraculous growth in Mac/iPad/iPhone market share, and don't see any wondrous new tech on the horizon for Apple. The car project, whatever it is, seems to have hit some turbulence and is years away from fruition at best. They're not seeing a lot of revenue upside coming from the Watch or Apple TV.

It's the whole, "Buy on rumor, sell on news" philosophy. I think that it's a stupid way to invest and I'm not selling AAPL. But there's enough to it that I'm not buying any more, either. I am glad that AAPL's paying dividends now.

James DeBenedetti – February 03, 2016 01:43PM Reply Quote
The stock market (not Wall Street) is all about growth. Investors who don't care about growth buy bonds, not stocks.

johnny k – February 03, 2016 02:43PM Reply Quote
What they said. I have to sell some of my stock soon, and timing is not great, but otherwise holding on. To some degree we were spoiled by the iPhone 6/Plus sales jump. With that pent-up demand for big screens satisfied, settling back down looks bad but it's better than getting to the same place with a consistent growth trajectory. Also macroeconomics hurt a lot - currency fluctuations in particular. Apple hates not being in control, so look for them to create their own currency.

bahamut – February 19, 2016 01:07AM Reply Quote
I don't get why anyone expects Google or Amazon or Facebook to grow. What more do they have to offer? Apple could do sometning crazy like make a $300 Mac or something. What can these cats do?

El Jeffe – February 19, 2016 05:54AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Amazon I think can grow just fine. It's just 'stuff' with a web interface and services attached.

James DeBenedetti – February 19, 2016 12:29PM Reply Quote
Amazon can grow to whatever size the internet does:

The AWS IPO

Stratechery
Today, public clouds are the future for the vast majority of businesses; the economics of scale achieved by Amazon (and its closest competitors, Google and Microsoft) are so incredible that multi-billion dollar companies like Netflix view it as more efficient to pay Amazon than to build their own data centers. The calculus is even more stark when it comes to any sort of startup: it’s so much easier and cheaper to get started with AWS that the idea of buying your own server infrastructure — an expense that consumed the majority of venture capital in the dot-com bubble era — is preposterous. This is great from Amazon’s perspective: the company effectively has a stake in nearly every significant startup, and for free; if the company succeeds, Amazon will be paid, handsomely, and if they fail, well, Amazon covered their own costs of providing cloud services along the way.

Venture Capital and the Internet's Impact:

Stratechery
Because a company pays for AWS resources as they use them, it is possible to create an entirely new app for basically $0 in your spare time. Or, alternately, if you want to make a real go of it, a founder’s only costs are his or her forgone salary and the cost of hiring whomever he or she deems necessary to get a minimum viable product out the door. In dollar terms that means the cost of building a new idea has plummeted from the millions to the (low) hundreds of thousands.

In turn this has led to an entirely new class of investor: angels. There are a lot of people in the San Francisco Bay Area especially who have millions in the bank — enough to live comfortably and take some chances, but nowhere close to the amount needed to be a traditional limited partner in a venture capital firm. On the flipside, though, these folks have a huge information advantage: they are still a part of the startup scene, both socially and professionally; they don’t need someone to make deals for them.

Previously these individuals would have probably tried to join a VC firm and chip in some of their own money to a fund alongside traditional limited partners. However, thanks to AWS (and open-source software) and the fact starting companies no longer needs millions, these angels are able to compete for the opportunity to fund companies at the earliest — and thus, most potentially profitable — stage of investing.

In fact, angels have nearly completely replaced venture capital at the seed stage...

James DeBenedetti – February 19, 2016 12:42PM Reply Quote
For Google and Facebook, the potential (aggregate) upside is roughly equal to global advertising spend + miscellaneous other stuff.

bahamut – February 29, 2016 01:43AM Reply Quote
Amazon can grow fine. But it's got no proposal for ever making money.
I see some shitty ads on FB, I really wonder how much they make.
Google makes a crapload on their ads, even though they are largely worthless. Eventually that model will implode.

In both cases, I've been bombarded by their ads for Saatva and Tuft & Needle mattresses over the last 4 weeks. We were looking for a mattress a month ago. And we bought it then. So much for targeted ads.

Cloudscout – March 21, 2016 01:10PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
It was interesting to correlate the larger stock price shifts to specific moments in today's presentation.

John Willoughby – April 18, 2016 12:26PM Reply Quote
Bill Campbell has died. Mean comments omitted until the mandatory "too soon" period elapses.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login