Spork Boards

AAPL.O

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 08, 2007 02:37AM Reply Quote
Talk about industry stock market mumbo-jumbo here.

Wobs – July 22, 2015 08:27PM Reply Quote
It's a "Classic Problem" that the Taxing Authorities (Fed, State, County, Local) have.
In the case of Manufacturing, They believe the Company is "Captive," that they have
so much capital invested in their physical plant, that they cannot leave. So, they keep
jacking the rates of Taxation so high that it soon becomes easier and more cost
effective to pull up stakes and move. The same example applies to unions. It becomes
cheaper to leave.

"The Rust Belt" and The "Rotting (Brownfields) Hulks/Husks" of the Northeast are ALL
testaments to those failed policies and assumptions. In the '80s, I worked on
numerous LBO's where the "New Owners" told the government and union officials:
"Buh-Bye!" Sad but true. The sad fact is, THEY NEVER LEARN! It just keeps getting
repeated continually. Silicon Valley, The Silicon Alleys, it's all IP that can GO Anywhere...

AND THAT'S The Reason They Have ALL That Cash Parked Overseas, instead of
generating Tax REVENUE & Investment Capital in The U.S., etc. that would PROMOTE
Economic Growth. As President Reagan said: "GROW The Pie", rather than
squabble over who gets the bigger slice!

Wobs – July 22, 2015 08:38PM Reply Quote
It's Common Sense. Apply it to your Own Life & Budget! Would YOU Stick Around a
City/Town Who Jacked Up Your Tax Rates So HIGH, Municipal Workers Unions
Continuously Demanding More & More To The Point Where YOU CAN'T Afford to
Stay & It's Cheaper to Leave? THIS Is What Happened to Bridgeport CT starting
in the late '60s / early '70s. By the late '80s, the city had a Mill Rate of 62.5 (!)
for Property Owners!

El Jeffe – July 23, 2015 04:10AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
and why autonomous RVs/dwellings will bring down OR could/should bring down borders.

Wobs – July 24, 2015 05:28PM Reply Quote
LOL. But it's NOT funny to Bpt. Taxpayers to this day! Housing NEVER "Boomed" in
Bpt. & like munis!

If you keep "Squeezing The Golden Goose For More Eggs," Those "Geese"
Either Die or Fly Away! It's a "Vicious Circle", and in some cases, like Detroit,
it Becomes a "Death Spiral." Tragic, Sad, but proven all too true too many times.

bahamut – July 25, 2015 09:41PM Reply Quote
So now AAPL is slowly creeping up again. It's beyond me, just beyond me how this old record could play over and over and over again …

El Jeffe – July 26, 2015 06:31AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
use your illusion

Wobs – July 26, 2015 01:20PM Reply Quote
What Did They USED To Say About The Mac Community? "Reality Distortion Field" (RDF)?
FWIW, *IF* AAPL.O DOES Introduce New Compelling Products & Services, it will continue
to rise.

BUT also remember that AAPL.O is NOW part of the DJI! Right? And THAT Means DJI &
SPX Index Tracking Vehicles HAVE to keep a Proportionate Number/Percentage of
AAPL in their portfolios!

Wobs – August 13, 2015 12:16PM Reply Quote
Is it "Just Me", or is AAPL starting to flog the Apple Watch? I KNOW it's "Back to School" & All,
but Really? They seem to be trying hard, but maybe it's just me.

Same goes for "Apple Music." I keep getting emailed "To Start Your 90 Day Free Trial!"
(Breathless Gasp!) The Beats Headphones with MacBook purchase I get. Even a Price
Break on an Apple Watch with MacBook Purchase. Better Yet? A Three-fer: MacBook,
iPhone, & Apple Watch Bundle; even Toss in a Pair of Beats for Free! "Give The Mac 'Verse
a Break," You Don't See Them Offering a MacBook/Printer Bundle in Their email blasts tho'.

TBF: AppleTV -- "PLUS! Start Your FREE 90-Day Trial of Apple Music!"

My apologies. I'm Being Snarky 'cuz of ALL Those Nasty Things Steve & "Stevie's" Said
About Golden Convergence, NC/Cloud Computing, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

And the Funniest Thing is That They STILL Don't "Get It!"

Wobs – August 13, 2015 12:41PM Reply Quote
I think I might attempt a "Don Quixote" & Attempt to Resurrect "PB Jelly." If I can find it & it's
charger. I Differently Think That It's Right Near The "Hidden Mickey"....

Barring That? The "Ole Hidden Mickey" War Horse. Turned into a "SuperSoldier/SuperServer,"
A "FrankenMac," BEFORE OS X Made Them So Easy to Fabricate. It's "Cray, Cray" What You
Can Do With Several Thousand Dollars (Give or Take) for Components & a "Bolt-on" Mind...

Haven't We Been Here Before on This VERY Topic? I Know, Apple Recon Has...

"Deep Blue," Beyond The Sea....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2015 12:45PM by Wobs.

johnny k – August 14, 2015 11:39AM Reply Quote
Apple does spend a lot on marketing, clearly with good results, so it's no surprise. When introducing the average person to a whole new product category, a lot of education is necessary.

Wobs – August 15, 2015 12:16PM Reply Quote
johnny k, as I posited, it's just me -- MAYBE.I'm STILL not convinced. I still consider it
"frivolous" because its features are not compelling enough. Now, if you added compat-
ibility with two-way hear/speak earwig, THEN...

ARL (Moderator) – August 16, 2015 10:14PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Thoughts on this?

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/business/apple-readies-first-australia-bonds-issue-20150817-gj0jom.html

In April, the company said it would return $US 200 billion to shareholders through buybacks and dividends over the next two years. CEO Tim Cook previously faced pressure from activist investor Carl Icahn to return more of Apple's enormous cash hoard to shareholders.

To me that says Apple has no "next big thing™" coming any time soon...

johnny k – August 17, 2015 08:48AM Reply Quote
a) The Watch is your Next Big Thing. It's just getting started. It may be an iPad, but I'll bet on it being somewhat bigger. Remember the difference between iPad 1 and 2 alone?
b) Don't give the media ideas about Apple being screwed because they haven't done anything lately.
c) It's what happens when you have more money than God. There's only so many things you can spend it on. Apple spent a shitload on equipment in 2013-2014 for Watch, so a fabled Car is at least 2 years out. No surprise there.

bahamut – August 21, 2015 04:32PM Reply Quote
How could Apple stock shoot through the roof? See my next comment in B? K.

Wobs – September 22, 2015 05:06PM Reply Quote
Will reply to posts as soon as I can. FWIW, all
The market gyrations since mid-August have
been "news," economic, policy, driven. Not by
any signal from the Indicator.

There's only one thing, Jon told me about posts
"by some" (1?) that I "give away proprietary in-
formation & analysis." I Won't. Not "can't," won't.

Not when you can make millions, even billions
off that info.

I'll get back on the boards, as soon as I can.

bahamut – September 22, 2015 08:24PM Reply Quote
OOOps. I guess I should be more careful. :/

porruka (Admin) – September 24, 2015 10:36PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
porruka (4-Jun-2014)
That's surprisingly clueless analysis for AT:

A Lightning headphone specification could open the door to a future where iOS devices don't include standard headphone jacks, though it's uncertain why this would be necessary—a headphone jack fits easily into the 6.1 mm-thick iPod touch, and the jack isn't much taller than the Lightning port itself. The idea of using the Lightning port for audio is interesting, but compared to headphones with more universal 1/8" (3.5mm) connector or Bluetooth headsets, it just doesn't seem like a practical solution for most people.

There are any number of reasons for Apple to want to do this with size being one, reduction in components being another, and a long list to follow. Good ideas/reasons? I'm not saying one way or another, but there are plenty of obvious and less-than-obvious motivations.

I'll just leave this here... No, it's not a Lightning headphone jack, and like most Apple patents, there's no assurance it will ever be used, but it's clear that Apple isn't considering 3.5mm "small enough".

http://www.mycorderolaw.com/blog/2015/9/22/apples-new-headphone-plug-and-the-problems-it-just-created

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2015 10:37PM by porruka.

ARL (Moderator) – September 25, 2015 06:50PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Hmmm...

That's just change for the sake of change. WTF is this obsession with thin?

A 5mm phone is more than thin enough - how about better features, battery life and maybe non-bendiness?

El Jeffe – September 25, 2015 08:25PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
it would be an interesting study in when/where/why the drive towards thin, small, compact started in Apple.
Apple //c ?
Knowledge Navigator?
Was there some goal? End game? (Dick Tracy watch?)
Pragmatic to ship, store smaller devices?
But, while THIN still seems to be a goal, I peg Motorola microTac as driving the smallish length and width. Back then they said wearable, I believe.
But since smartphones, the length and width have grown.
AppleTV has grown.
Mac Mini has grown for the most part.
iMac diagonal screen size grew and grew; but got thinner.
For handheld stuff, (apple tv remote I'm looking at YOU), small and thin are hard to manage. imo.

Wobs – September 29, 2015 03:34PM Reply Quote
Check out the two Top Stories on MarketWatch for 29 Sept. 2015.

They give the Technical Reasons for the markets teetering on the brink.

If I wasn't on the iPhone, I'd post the links.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login